Cabin wall thickness

All things technical for Cutwater Boats. Post your questions and/or solutions for the Cutwater community here.

Cabin wall thickness

Postby Cowichan on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:59 pm

I’m wanting to mount some minor storage on the unused, slightly diagonal solid support aft of the main windows in my C30. There is the upholstery and backing, as far as I can see, then the main exterior fibreglass. Not a lot to attach to! An option besides screws may be industrial velcro attached to the liner. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Cowichan

City: Mill Bay
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-30 S
Vessel Name: Kinship

Re: Cabin wall thickness

Postby Boatagain on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm

I wanted to do something similar but you’re right, that wall is very thin. “Industrial” Velcro might work if whatever you’re hanging is light enough, but I wouldn’t put anything too important up there. The boat’s motion while underway shouldn’t be underestimated. Another option is to thru-bolt the item with ss hardware, nice looking ss cap nuts on the exterior and plenty of sealant. I’ve thought about it but am reluctant to do that on mine. Frustrating as that space would be ideal for some shelves. Good luck and let us know if you come up with a better solution.
Michael, Judy, Porsche, Paige and Harry the Tug Dawg
Boatagain

City: Gaithersburg
State/Province: MD
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 30
Vessel Name: Gatsby

Re: Cabin wall thickness

Postby ixlr8 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:20 am

How about epoxying/glassing something to the hull to attach your storage unit to? That way you know what you have to attach to.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Return to General Technical Discussion