Depth Transducer C30

All things technical for Cutwater Boats. Post your questions and/or solutions for the Cutwater community here.

Depth Transducer C30

Postby Boatagain on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:03 am

Can someone please tell me where the depth transducer on a 2016 Cutwater 30 is located? Trying so save my old bones some pain while crawling all over the boat. Thanks very much in advance.
Michael, Judy, Porsche, Paige and Harry the Tug Dawg
Boatagain

City: Gaithersburg
State/Province: MD
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 30
Vessel Name: Gatsby

Re: Depth Transducer C30

Postby ronnieg on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:26 am

Good Morning,
The transducer is located on the stbd fwd side of the engine. It is located under a seaboard cover. You have to be a very agile person to get into it
If you have any question please feel free to contact me
Ronnie Gonzales
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats Customer Support
425-220-3932
ronnieg

City: monroe
State/Province: WA

Postby Boatagain on Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:40 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply Ronnie. Sadly, whatever agility I once had is long gone. My depth readings have become sporadic with flashing numbers appearing all too often. Since this began after launch this spring and all was well last season, I suspect a loss of fluid from the cup and/or, perhaps, the transducer is loose from the cup. I have checked the settings and they are what you've recommended in previous posts. Aside from an inconvenient trip to the dealer, any suggestions?
Boatagain

Postby Boatagain on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:54 pm

I contacted the service manager at my dealer. When I described the symptoms, he agreed with my guess that something's amiss with the transducer, either a loose unit or low fluid. He's promised to take care of it this week at my slip - about an hour's drive for him each way, the usual wonderful customer service I've come to love. I swear, however, that I could hear him softly sobbing when I asked how in the world he's going to reach the damn thing. :cry:
Boatagain

Re: Depth Transducer C30 - need advice

Postby Boatagain on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:25 pm

My dealer now says this is a routine service issue and not covered under warranty. The boat is 11 months old. My love affair with their customer service is under duress. Should I make a fuss? Opinions please.
Boatagain

Postby knotflying on Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:20 pm

I think not. The fluid should last well over 11 months and if for some reason the fluid leaked out or the seal has been compromised it should be a warranty item.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby Boatagain on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:43 am

Update: my dealer had a change of heart. Actually, the owner got involved and he obviously understands the value of going the extra mile with customer service. Tech made a visit to my slip and, in 10 minutes, solved the issue by adding antifreeze fluid into the transducer. Transducer and cup were found firmly secured.

It was quite interesting to watch the 6'4" (guessing here) tech reach the unit. He lay down diagonally across the engine, facing forward, with his head to starboard and feet to port. Then, burying his head as far into the space as possible, reached down with his right arm to unscrew the protective piece of starboard (two screws), followed by removing the transducer from the cup and adding fluid with a long funnel. He said it was down by about half, just enough to allow air below the transducer. Everything was then buttoned up. Depth gauge sprung immediately to life afterwards. I wonder if I could have done it? I'm working on lengthening my arms and shrinking my belly. ;)

Anyway, happy ending and kudos to my dealer. Hope this will last a while.
Boatagain

Return to General Technical Discussion