C28 Engine Hatch Struggling

Questions posted here will receive a response from Cutwater Boats representatives

C28 Engine Hatch Struggling

Postby eric9603 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:25 pm

Is it normal for the hydraulic engine hatch to seem like it’s struggling when opening? The motion isn’t smooth and it kind of bounces when opening. Almost as if it doesn’t have enough power to push it open. The other day I could hear it running when pushing the button, but it wasn’t opening. I had to grab a hatch latch and sort of help it get started. Even with that it could barely function. As it turned out that time, the trim tabs were extended. Normally I have them fully retracted at the slip.

Thoughts?
eric9603

City: Dumfries
State/Province: VA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Why Knot?

Re: C28 Engine Hatch Struggling

Postby Connerkip on Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:54 pm

The hatch should open smoothly to full open, provided the trim tabs are fully up. There is not enough oil in the reservoir for both the hatch to go up and the trim tabs to be down. If this is not the issue, check the fluid level in the reservoir.
Kip Conner
Connerkip

City: Punta Gorda
State/Province: FL
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 30 (2014)
Vessel Name: Going Coastal

Postby Scuba Too on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:56 pm

Just to confirm, the engine hatch should work fine with the trim tabs are fully up. Occasionally I run into this as well when I forget to raise the tabs.
Scuba Too

City: Trabuco Canyon
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Blue Honu
MMSI Number: 367783950

Postby eric9603 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:58 pm

Sounds like I’ll need to (find and then) check the reservoir. It definitely struggles a bit even with tabs fully retracted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
eric9603

Postby Connerkip on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:18 pm

I have a C30. My reservoir is by the rudder. Not sure if it’s the same on yours. Just follow the hose from the hatch lift cylinder.
The cylinder is self bleeding, so that should not be the issue.
Kip Conner
Connerkip

City: Punta Gorda
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 30 (2014)
Vessel Name: Going Coastal

Postby Andrew Custis on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:53 pm

The reservoir is below the rear seat. There should be inspection plates that allow you to open and view the level. Make sure the tabs are to the full up position before you check the fluid. Feel free to call us at the office and we can walk you through any checks.

Take care,
Andrew Custis
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
andrewcustis@rangertugs.com
Andrew Custis
Ranger/Cutwater Factory Rep

City: Kent
State/Province: WA

Postby eric9603 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:31 pm

Andrew Custis wrote:The reservoir is below the rear seat. There should be inspection plates that allow you to open and view the level. Make sure the tabs are to the full up position before you check the fluid. Feel free to call us at the office and we can walk you through any checks.

Take care,

Andrew - I didn't make it down to the boat to check this weekend. However, if I do find it low and need to top off, what fluid does the factory use to fill it? Thanks.
eric9603

Postby Andrew Custis on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:42 pm

Hello,

This one is easy. Automatic transmission fluid is what is used.

Thank you,
Andrew Custis
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
andrewcustis@rangertugs.com
Andrew Custis
Ranger/Cutwater Factory Rep

City: Kent
State/Province: WA

Postby eric9603 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:40 pm

I like easy. Thanks again!

eric9603

Postby eric9603 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:03 am

I still need to check the fluid level, but it has been getting even worse now. Most of the time it struggles to even start opening. I have to reach down and pull it up (not an easy task when also pressing the switch and trying to stay out of the way so it can open) to get it started. Then it seems the hydraulics “catch up” and can very slowly open it the rest of the way. It also seems like I can hear a little bit of a bubbling sound sometimes.

Does that sound like I might have a leak or air in the lines or something?

eric9603

Postby trailertrawlerkismet on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:00 pm

This may be totally unrelated but when we took delivery of our R29S in August Tim Gates gave us some engine hatch hydraulic advice. Tim suggested when the hatch is opened don't run the hatch all the way up. By doing this it does not apparently run the reservoir dry, therefore when it is lowered the hydraulics don't have to catch up. By running the hatch all the way up, I took this to mean, it also helps raise the hatch without problems. Tim also directed us to raise the trim tabs to there up position for optimal hatch operation. As I stated this may or may not be related but it is worth experimenting.

Jim F
Jim & Lisa FavorsR29S Kismet
info@trailertrawlerlife.com
http://www.trailertrawlerlife.com
http://favorsgreatloopblog.com
http://boatus.com/cruising/kismet/log.asp
trailertrawlerkismet

City: Traverse City
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: (2018) Kismet

Postby Baringa on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:28 pm

I’m a newbie to this forum, as I just purchased my ‘new to me’ 2014 C28. I love it, btw. Interesting to learn the TrimTabs must be fully extended when raising the lid. My problem however is a little different: The lid goes up fine, but will only retract when, get this, you apply upward pressure to the lid then release while simultaneously holding the switch down. You can imagine, it took a while to figure this out. Seems to work every time, but puzzling to me that this is required. Anyone else experienced such a thing?
Baringa

City: Sarasota
Vessel Name: Ragged Company

Postby eric9603 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:30 pm

Baringa wrote:I’m a newbie to this forum, as I just purchased my ‘new to me’ 2014 C28. I love it, btw. Interesting to learn the TrimTabs must be fully extended when raising the lid. My problem however is a little different: The lid goes up fine, but will only retract when, get this, you apply upward pressure to the lid then release while simultaneously holding the switch down. You can imagine, it took a while to figure this out. Seems to work every time, but puzzling to me that this is required. Anyone else experienced such a thing?

Welcome! We absolutely love our 28.

Are you lifting the hatch the entire way up? I leave mine at an angle and never had that issue.
eric9603

Postby ixlr8 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Baringa wrote:I’m a newbie to this forum, as I just purchased my ‘new to me’ 2014 C28. I love it, btw. Interesting to learn the TrimTabs must be fully extended when raising the lid. My problem however is a little different: The lid goes up fine, but will only retract when, get this, you apply upward pressure to the lid then release while simultaneously holding the switch down. You can imagine, it took a while to figure this out. Seems to work every time, but puzzling to me that this is required. Anyone else experienced such a thing?

I thought the trim tabs should be fully retracted before opening the hatch/lid.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby eric9603 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:54 pm

ixlr8 wrote:

I thought the trim tabs should be fully retracted before opening the hatch/lid.

That is correct.
eric9603

Return to Ask the Cutwater Factory