DC Power

Questions posted here will receive a response from Cutwater Boats representatives

DC Power

Postby Phil Nersessian on Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:48 pm

Is there any easy way to shut off all the DC power on the boat(short of disconnecting the batteries)? The only solution I have come up with is taking pictures then pulling out the 40-50 fuses in my DC panels for re-installation in the spring.
Phil Nersessian

City: West Bridgewater
State/Province: MA
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater30LE

Re: DC Power

Postby ixlr8 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:49 pm

Won't turning off the big red switches for "HOUSE", "ENGINE", both "THRUSTER"s, and the "INVERTER" kill things enough?
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby S. Todd on Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:05 pm

I think you have it figured out Phil. The CO detector and radio and perhaps other minor draws will eventually drain the house batteries if not disconnected.
S. Todd

City: Indianapolis
State/Province: IN
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Non-Ranger Model: Zodiac Cadet Aero 230 & Innova kayaks
Vessel Name: Audrey Rose (2015)
MMSI Number: 367722240

Postby ixlr8 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:32 pm

Looking at the schematics, I was wrong. It looks like the engine fuse block and the thruster fuse block both get power directly from their associated batteries. It appears if you want to kill power totally, turn off all the big red switches and pull the fuses in those two blocks.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby BradOwens on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:35 pm

Instead of 40 - 50 fuses, how about pulling the negative cable off each battery?
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby Phil Nersessian on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:30 am

The big red switches only shut off AC power. I have been told that with solar panels it is best to leave the batteries hooked up to get a trickle charge from the panels, however there are so many small,minor DC loads on the batteries that last year my batteries got completely drained. There are literally 40-50 different DC fuses in 4-5 different panels and that doesn't count the things that are direct wired to the batteries with in-line fuses, Just hoping for an easier way to shut them all off.
Phil Nersessian

City: West Bridgewater
State/Province: MA
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater30LE

Postby dclagett on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:34 am

Phil,

Last winter I had planned to go over to the boat every few weeks and hook up my Honda generator for a few hours to charge the batteries while I worked inside on stuff. However my first trip over I looked at the battery voltage and all were reading a little over 13 volts. My solar panel even under shrink-wrap easily maintained the batteries at 13 volts throughout the winter without unplugging anything except having all the battery switches off. If you had your solar panel uncovered last winter you may want to check to see if you solar panel is producing a charge current.

Richard
dclagett

City: Ocean Pines
State/Province: MD
Vessel Name: DreamChaser

Postby AZtoVA on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:14 pm

it is my understanding the the solar panel puts about 90%of its charge into the House bank. the rest into the starting battery. the others get nothing. I was wondering if I could take a charger every month or so to the boat and hook the charger directly to the batteries not kept up by the solar Panel? dont want to send current "back" through the system if it will hurt something. thoughts?
Ed
AZtoVA
2014 Cutwater 30s Scarlet Lady
Hampton VA
AZtoVA

City: Suffolk
State/Province: VA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-30 S
Vessel Name: Scarlet Lady

Postby dclagett on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:18 pm

Ed,

The way my boat is wired the solar panel maintains all 4 batteries (2 house, engine start and thruster) at the same voltage. All last winter the boat sat for 5 months and this past boatinng season I never hooked up shore power to charge the batteries while the boat was not being used. The first thing I always check when visiting the boat is the battery voltage at the panel. All batteries always have voltage levels above 13 volts within 1 or 2 hunderds of a volt between batteries.

Not knowing the details of how our boats are wired I would disconnect the negative lead of each battery being charged by a portable charger. There may be a better way to do it, but that would be my approach to charging each battery independently. Since I have a portable generator if I need to charge the batteries I would connected the generator into shore power. However, in my case the solar panel has done such a good job maintaining the batteries there has been no need to use the generator, even with the boat sitting for 5 months.

Richard
dclagett

City: Ocean Pines
State/Province: MD
Vessel Name: DreamChaser

Postby baz on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:49 pm

Phil Nersessian wrote:Is there any easy way to shut off all the DC power on the boat(short of disconnecting the batteries)? The only solution I have come up with is taking pictures then pulling out the 40-50 fuses in my DC panels for re-installation in the spring.

So, what is the reason you want to do this ? Do you not access to 110v maybe ?

I had my R-21EC on its trailer parked to one side of my driveway all winter long. I simply ran a cable to the boat as if it were at a Marina's shore power and left it like that. The batteries were kept charged AOK, and had no issues 6 months later.
Last edited by baz on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry, (1st mate Gill passed away Aug 11, 2018) & Jake (Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 S Hero Red to be delivered Mar 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 Outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby Osprey on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:56 pm

To the parasitic current draw list given earlier in this thread one needs to include the ACRs. The BlueSea's data sheet for a "7610/ST Automatic Charging Relay" states that an open relay draws about 15mA. During a prolonged storage period (months), and with no active charging source present, this ACR draw will be a significant factor leading to discharged batteries.
During winter storage my experience is that solar panels as a charging source are effective in keeping all the tug's batteries fully charged. The 90/10% regarding house and starter batteries comment above is correct for some of the solar setups. However, I have noted that the solar panel generated voltage is sufficient to close the ACRs. With the ACRs close all the batteries are include in the charging circuit. Even so, one should routinely monitor the system should some unexpected fault develops within the system.
Osprey

City: Sea
State/Province: BC

Postby baz on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:11 pm

On my new 2018 R-27/OB The backlights for the console switches are ON all the time and there's no way to have them OFF bar removing the battery -ive connections or some other trickery.

I think/sense that this was a purposely designed feature by RT.
Last edited by baz on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry, (1st mate Gill passed away Aug 11, 2018) & Jake (Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 S Hero Red to be delivered Mar 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 Outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby stwendl on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:17 pm

My r27 switch lights are only on when the nav switch is on. However it would be nice to have a separate switch just for that. The labels are bit hard to read with glasses down there and little to no light.
Difference between RVers and Boaters:
RVers move until they reach water, Boaters move until they reach land.
Ranger Tug owners can do both :)
stwendl

City: palo alto
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Cataleya

Postby AZtoVA on Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Thanks Richard. I should have mentioned. I have a Cutwater 30S. It is on the hard and no easy access to power
Ed
AZtoVA
2014 Cutwater 30s Scarlet Lady
Hampton VA
AZtoVA

City: Suffolk
State/Province: VA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-30 S
Vessel Name: Scarlet Lady

Postby kevin_summit on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:39 am

Phil Nersessian wrote:Is there any easy way to shut off all the DC power on the boat(short of disconnecting the batteries)? The only solution I have come up with is taking pictures then pulling out the 40-50 fuses in my DC panels for re-installation in the spring.

Phil,

If you turn off all of your red battery switches then pull the fuses for your bilge pumps and CO detectors that will take all load off of your batteries. This is how we store and ship boats so the batteries dont drain while in storage and or shipping. We do recommend however to have some sort of charger going while not in use to ensure batteries are topped off and not discharging while not in use. You can try and rely on the solar panel to keep a charge but only charges the house and engine batteries and NOT the thruster, also if you are keeping the boat far away sometimes the panel can get dirty and not charge. Best option is to have it plugged into shore power or have a trickle charger hooked up. You can email me direct if you have any questions.

Thank you
Kevin Lamont
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
kevinlamont@rangertugs.com
kevin_summit

City: kent

Return to Ask the Cutwater Factory