Bottom Paint System Recommendation

Questions posted here will receive a response from Cutwater Boats representatives

Bottom Paint System Recommendation

Postby Highdesert on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:19 pm

I have a 2017 c242 with blue hull and no existing paint or any fouling. What bottom paint system does the factory recommend for the hull, and trim tabs? Our boat will be in Newport Oregon and the Puget Sound area. It will only be in the water about half time and on the trailer for the rest. Does the lower unit of the outboard need any treatment? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Highdesert

City: Bend
State/Province: OR
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 24
Vessel Name: Alkemist

Re: Bottom Paint System Recommendation

Postby kevin_summit on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:20 pm

Highdesert wrote:I have a 2017 c242 with blue hull and no existing paint or any fouling. What bottom paint system does the factory recommend for the hull, and trim tabs? Our boat will be in Newport Oregon and the Puget Sound area. It will only be in the water about half time and on the trailer for the rest. Does the lower unit of the outboard need any treatment? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use Everett Yacht Service (at the Port of Everett) and CSR (in Kent) to bottom paint our boats so not exactly sure which type of paint they use, you shouldnt need to paint the trim tabs as they come with zincs installed, I would recommend having the lower unit painted BUT only on the part that sits in the water while the units are up in the stored position. If you have any questions feel free to email me direct, my email is in my signature.

Thank you,
Kevin Lamont
Kevin Lamont
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
kevinlamont@rangertugs.com
kevin_summit

City: kent
State/Province: WA

Postby aculverwell on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:04 pm

Pretty sure that the standard bottom paint applied by Everett Yacht Services is Seahawk AF33.
aculverwell

City: Carnation
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Red Sky

Postby Cutwater28GG on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:43 am

in talking with La conner maritime who I plan to get paint done with. they offer ABC3 ablative or SeaHawk Bio-cop (which is $500 more)

anyone used these on a cutwater - any experience? My primary interest is whether these paints stay on better on a 20 knot boat vs a 12 knot boat

is Bio-Cop worth the premium?
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Return to Ask the Cutwater Factory