Fusion stereo antenna

Questions posted here will receive a response from Cutwater Boats representatives

Fusion stereo antenna

Postby Cowichan on Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:42 pm

I have a 2018 C30 and I’ve noticed a few things about the stereo -tinney sound and poor reception-so I had a look behind. My even local reception has been poor- then I noticed the antenna wire is not connected from the Fusion to the main antenna. Where in the system is the main antenna wire to connect to? The small access opening doesn’t allow easy visuals, but I imagine it must be back there somewhere. The stereo is not “cheap” yet it has a cheap sound. When I looked on the Fusion website it mentioned the possibility of incorrect polarity on the speakers, but the wiring harness is not accessable. As well, the Fusion website talks about tuning the separate amplifier, is this pre-set at the Cutwater factory?

There must be something I’m missing in this, as the Fusion systems I’ve heard in stores sound fine. Andrew, any suggestions?

I will also purchase a Bose Bluetooth portable speaker so I can hear the sound in the forward part of the cabin.

Thank you for any help- this is my New Year’s project!
Gordon.
Cowichan

City: Mill Bay
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-30 S
Vessel Name: Kinship

Re: Fusion stereo antenna

Postby Andrew Custis on Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:39 pm

Hello Gordon,

We do not install antennas on any of our boats. I’ve used a Shakespeare one that uses my VHF antenna for my boat but even that didn’t work the greatest. Not sure if anyone has had great luck with AM/FM on the water but I have not. For me, Bluetooth and music streaming is much preferred on the water.
Andrew Custis
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
andrewcustis@rangertugs.com
Andrew Custis
Ranger/Cutwater Factory Rep

City: Kent
State/Province: WA

Postby Kathy H on Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:51 pm

There is an equalizer on the Garmin display that will help with the tinny sound quality. I think it's located under media. Also there is a Fusion app. Adjustments can be made through the app as well.
Kathy H

City: Stanwood
Non-Ranger Model: C30 Sedan
Vessel Name: DeMaris

Postby Red Raven on Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:11 pm

Hi Gordon,

Does your fusion sound tinny only when using radio as the source? If it sounds tinny even with a phone/iPod as the source the problem is not the antenna. If only with radio then the link below may help.

http://www.tugnuts.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10999&p=75562&hilit=Radio+antenna#p75488

Curt
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby Irish Mist on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:24 am

Hi Gordon
I connected a car antenna to the radio and was able to slide it along the inside of the boat against the fiberglass There was a space in my boat that worked well.
As mentioned check your tone settings they tend to arrive from the factory adjusted “flat”. Increasing the bass and mid range helps a lot.
Irish Mist

City: victoria
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic

Postby Solomons Guy on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:45 am

We had the Ranger tug dealer add a Shakespeare AM/FM antenna to our R-23 (matches the VHF in appearance) - made a big improvement in FM reception. Twin antennas look kind of cool also.
Solomons Guy

City: Solomons
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Care Free

Postby Cowichan on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:30 pm

Hello everybody, thank you for your helpful input. I tried a Bluetooth Sony speaker for the top of the dash, but then determined that the Fusion will receive but not send, so that didn’t work. It would have been nice to hear the speakers closer to where I am when at the helm. I then purchased a couple of good but small indoor-outdoor speakers to replace the wall-mounted Fusions, and what a marvellous difference! The sound quality has improved immensely. However the radio is still not great reception so i’ll try the suggested aerial.
I apprecite your feedback, thank you.
Cowichan

Postby Matty on Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:09 am

Very suprised to hear that replacing the speakers made a difference. I have really been pleased with our Fusion sound system and speakers. I wonder if they are different speakers on the cutwater vs ranger? We do mostly intercoastal so no reception issues and that obviously would not be rectified with a speaker replacement.
Matty

City: New Smyrna Beach
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: IN THE FALL (2018)

Postby Red Raven on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:23 pm

Perhaps the Fusion speakers had failed. I had one fail in the cockpit. I could hear the high frequencies a bit but the diaphragm cone didn’t move at all. I replaced it with a new Fusion speaker with good results. The Fusions in our cabin sound great.
Last edited by Red Raven on Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby scross on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:19 pm

While upgrading our stock Clarion CMD5 to a CMD6 I discovered the antenna lead hanging loose. Both the factory and other tugnuts suggested connecting it to the front Port window frame using one of the screws to make good metal to antenna lead contact. That greatly helped the FM reception but it’s still not perfect. From Ganges we can pick up stations in both Bellingham and Nanaimo.
The stock Clarion speakers were just barely tolerable so they were replaced with the highly customer ranked (per Crutchfield) 6.5” marine speakers - the JL Audio MX650-CCX-CG-WH. In the showroom I preferred the sound of JL Audio over the Fusion and Wet Sounds 6.5” products. The JL Audio speakers made a significant improvement to the audio system and went right into the existing locations with no modifications needed.
Don’t have a TV on board but we watch movies on a 15” laptop with the sound ported out through the CMD6 stereo system. Haven’t added an amp, cockpit speakers or subwoofer yet but still considering doing so...
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Non-Ranger Model: 1987 Addictor 190
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Postby Cowichan on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:03 pm

Matty wrote:Very suprised to hear that replacing the speakers made a difference. I have really been pleased with our Fusion sound system and speakers. I wonder if they are different speakers on the cutwater vs ranger? We do mostly intercoastal so no reception issues and that obviously would not be rectified with a speaker replacement.

Hi Matty. I had a Ranger 25 SC and the sound was fine. The Cutwaters (I also had a 28 before) have small bracket wall-mounted cabinet speakers mounted at the rear of the main cabin, a bit of a distance from the helm, especially as we face forward! As I recall, the Rangers have the cabin speakers close to the helm. I installed just one of the new ones and listened to each type individually before hooking up the other new speaker. A definite improvement seconded by my wife and son! The exterior speakers are the same as yours.
Cowichan

Postby Matty on Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:22 am

I figured there must be a difference in location. With the various noises in a small area placement and quality are key to having good sound. I love the way you can balance them so that when foks are outside and need more volume you do not have to have them cranked up at the helm.

Next boat show I will pay more attention to the difference between Cutwater and Ranger. Being in FL we do not get to see many locally.
Matty

Postby Robertsn12 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:47 am

Hi Matty - we bought a new c30 last December and experienced the same disappointment regarding the quality of sound in the salon. Poor reception as well. After researching the fusion cabin speakers that come stock, they are intended to be installed with a sub (one is specifically made for pairing with one or two sets of the cabin speakers). As such, without a sub - I suspect it will sound like you are in a tin can no matter what the setting on an EQ or the reception. We purchased the sub and plan on relocating the speakers from the forward birth to the salon after we figure out the wire chase. Would be nice if this was done at the factory. One would never install small Bose speakers at home without the matching sub and hope for full quality sound. It is hard to believe that fusion is an expensive product the first time you turn on the stereo. We've had the same reception problem with our little TVs and can't hear them at all under way. Would be amazing if these were integrated into the steroids from the factory.
Robertsn12

City: TACOMA
Vessel Name: Jolly Roberts

Postby Matty on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:38 am

Well that is a good thing about this site. I have to imagine Ranger and cutwater management read these comments and then incorporate them into improvements. It is a free source of research and development for them.
Matty

Postby Chimo on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:35 pm

On our R25SC I am delighted with the quality of sound at the helm. Mind you, I listen to either talk radio or music from the iPod that fits nicely into the Fusion. Maybe I need to source new ears? ;)
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

City: Sidney
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Chimo
MMSI Number: 316033437

Next

Return to Ask the Cutwater Factory