How to secure anchor rode

Questions posted here will receive a response from Cutwater Boats representatives

Re: How to secure anchor rode

Postby Cutwater28GG on Tue May 28, 2019 1:10 pm

I tie a rolling hitch to the anchor rode run the line through the chock onto one of the cleats.
The cleat in front of the windlass is only stout enough in my opinion to tie the anchor to when stowed

see photo

ignore the second black line (just tied to the rail for storage)

If I want to have the boat lie more bow inline with the anchor I could tie two rolling hitches with two lines one to each cleat through both chocks.
to be honest the boat sails at anchor so much I dont really see the point. - unless I was planning to be anchored in blow and I wanted to have two rolling hitches and two lines to double the resiliency and chafe protection
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby Cutwater28GG on Tue May 28, 2019 1:12 pm

Patrick, do you run your midsheap cleated bridle through the bow chocks and back along the deck or just straight to the cleats? doesnt the line chafe the hull?
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby quinsky on Tue May 28, 2019 7:48 pm

Gavin, my boat doesn’t have bow chocks. I wanted to install some but it’s too difficult to access the toerail. I just bought some chaffing gear to put on the bridle rodes which run straight back.
Patrick Quinn
quinsky

City: Murrells Inlet
State/Province: SC
Vessel Name: Compass Rose
MMSI Number: 338302374

Postby quinsky on Tue May 28, 2019 7:55 pm

(I unknowingly submitted the above post before it was finished. Couldn’t figure out how to delete it).

Gavin, my boat doesn’t have bow chocks. I guess they forgot to put them on?? I really wanted to install some but it’s too difficult to access the toerail. I just bought some chaffing gear to put on the bridle rodes which run straight back. The bridle doesn’t hang low enough to touch the hull. I guess that If the boat sails at an acute angle the bridle will rub on the stainless plate on the bow. I’ve never observed this.
Patrick Quinn
quinsky

Postby AZtoVA on Wed May 29, 2019 10:08 am

Patrick how do you attach the bridal to the anchor line?
Ed
AZtoVA
2014 Cutwater 30s Scarlet Lady
Hampton VA
AZtoVA

City: Suffolk
State/Province: VA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-30 S
Vessel Name: Scarlet Lady

Postby quinsky on Wed May 29, 2019 7:26 pm

I use a Suncor anchor snubber on the chain. Here on the southeast coast most anchorages are fairly shallow. I don't often have to put out more than the 75ft of chain in my ground tackle. The main reason I started using the bridle is because I didn't want the leave the chain on the windlass at anchor (very noisy and not recommended). If I pay out all the chain I don't use the bridle. When securing the rode, I take a turn around the small cleat and then tie off on one of the larger cleats. I would love to see Cutwater/Ranger Tugs put a sampson post or mooring cleat aft of the windlass.
Patrick Quinn
quinsky

Postby dennis41 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:32 am

Quinsky - That's a great idea! Would require more line, but would solve the problem I've had mooring to a Park bouy (any bouy). My boat has a Rocna 15 and when I run lines from the big cleats on the "front porch" around the first stanchion (on both sides - a bridle) to a bouy ,the lines get thoroughly tangled up in the anchor because of its location way out in front. My current solution is to pick up the bouy, tie a line off as I described, the get in the dinghy, row to the bouy, attach another line, run it thru the u-bolt on the stem, then up to the big cleats. this get s the line low enough to clear the anchor. Then I release the first line. Its a real chore and should not be necessary. I'm beginning to think the designers have never actually been ON the boat.
dennis41

City: Seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-30 CB

Postby JohnL on Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:06 pm

Has anyone considered taking off the whole bowsprit structure? As far as I can tell it’s attached to the hull by the eight bolts securing the two large cleats. Once it is gone, one would have a clear view of the anchor, chain and rode as it came up. You would be able to easily clear kelp that came up with the anchor and clean mud off the hook. The two large cleats would be resecured to the deck with shorter bolts allowing either of them to be used directly to secure the rode while at anchor. And finally, it would be easy to reach down and take the anchor off the roller and put on deck if you wanted to use the roller to tightly secure a line straight up and down to a mooring ball. Thus no need for a bridle through the fairleads and no banging against the hull.

I’d be interested in thoughts on this proposal

Cheers
John
JohnL

City: Victoria
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: Surprise

Postby scross on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:23 pm

Noticed in Gavin’s photo that he has bow chocks that are designed for the line going through them to go to in an aft direction, not forward towards the anchor. My RT-25 Classic has the same bow area chocks and the factory confirmed that they were not intended to have line through them going forward. I had significant chafing on my lines using the factory installed chocks until I added a second pair of “forward direction chocks” very close to the bow. See my photo album.
gallery2.php?g2_itemId=53516
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Non-Ranger Model: 1987 Addictor 190
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Previous