C-28 Port & Starboard Storage Locker Drain

Questions posted here will receive a response from Cutwater Boats representatives

C-28 Port & Starboard Storage Locker Drain

Postby RichV on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:43 am

We had a big storm on a Monday and the aft deck drain port side clogged as it usually does, which filled the port side locker with water. It was about 4 inches up on the batteries when I came on the following Friday, so it may have been higher on Monday. I pumped out the water, removed the batteries, and used a hose to pump out about an inch of water underneath the board in the locker via the small space at the stern end. There was still water under the board that I could not get and I tried snaking the "weep" drains in the bilge, both by the raw water intake and further forward, many times but could not get it to drain. I left the batteries out for a week hoping it would dry out, which it did not. I ended up cutting a small access hole in the board and using a wet vac to remove the last inch of water. Where should tis drain and how do I fix it?

When I put the batteries back the engine would not start. When press the start button the small Volvo display goes blank for 5 seconds then comes back, at the same time the engine clicks and a green light flashes on the relay in the locker. There is 13.4 volts at the battery. I tightened the connections at the relay but didn't make a difference.
RichV

City: RANDOLPH
State/Province: MA
Non-Ranger Model: C28
Vessel Name: Lady

Re: C-28 Port & Starboard Storage Locker Drain

Postby Cutwater28GG on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:38 pm

Bummer

Firstly you should also check the drain exits in the stern. I found the flaps hold back crud and eventual block/slow draining even if the top drain covers are clear.

The batts may be dead but I bet more likely that you have a bad connection try scrubbing the terminals and cables and reconnecting. If the water only went up the sides of the battery's I can't really see how they would be dead. They are sealed and water coming around the hatch would not fall on top of the terminals.

I thought that below the floorboard it just drained into the bilge and I'm surprised the water pooled.
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby RichV on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:39 pm

I resolved the battery/starting problem, bad connection.
RichV

Postby RichV on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:02 pm

Originally I took all the screws out to remove the plywood board but it would not budge.
RichV

Postby RichV on Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:34 am

The port and starboard lockers drain via a PVC pipe at the stern end and comes out in the well under the stern thruster (and corresponding location on starboard side). It can be seen through the access hole under the flip seat.
RichV

Return to Ask the Cutwater Factory