Oil Filter Change/Clean on a Mase 2.7

Questions posted here will receive a response from Cutwater Boats representatives

Oil Filter Change/Clean on a Mase 2.7

Postby bails023 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:26 pm

I am preparing to do an oil change on the Mase 2.7 generator on my 2014 Cutwater. I plan to change/clean the oil filter however, even after taking the small panel off below the exhaust, there is still precious little room and I want to get a warm feeling that the filter will come out in the space available. The manual shows the filter being removed but not in the marine enclosure.
bails023

City: Edgewater
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: First & Last
MMSI Number: 338167347

Re: Oil Filter Change/Clean on a Mase 2.7

Postby quinsky on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:24 pm

I feel your pain. I just bought a 2013 C28 with the same generator. I got as far as you did and gave up. I bought a 1/4 finger ratchet socket/driver and a Chapman MFG #2021 Hand Tools Pocket Pack. I'm trying to get up the nerve to try it again. I'm thinking the hoses may have to be removed. Anxious to see other replies.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014J ... UTF8&psc=1
Patrick and Cathy Quinn
quinsky

City: Murrells Inlet
State/Province: SC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Compass Rose
MMSI Number: 338302374

Postby DBBRanger on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:23 am

I never changed the oil filter on my Mase 2.5 that was in my 2008 R25. Doesn't sound right, but it was impossible to do and besides it was not a cartridge filter, just a screen.
DBBRanger

City: Ridgway
State/Province: CO
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Still Crazy

Postby dclagett on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:43 pm

I plan to do oil & filter change early next month. It looks like my filter has been removed before because some of the paint has been chipped off the bolt holding the filter in. Since the external filter housing is still white if the filter was removed I assume it was just cleaned. I purchased a new filter from the MASE North American rep in Florida and the filter housing is black. If I have trouble I will call the Florida rep. His name is Sergio Miguel, Technical Manager, 754-703-5153. The MASE office in Florida has been helpful to me, you might want to give them a call with your concerns.
dclagett

City: Ocean Pines
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: DreamChaser

Postby seadot on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:47 am

I just changed the oil in my Mase 2.7 yesterday. For the prior two years, I removed the oil filter after a lot of acrobatics, bloody knuckles, and tons of cuss words. Both times, it was a waste of effort as the filter was pristine. This year, I looked at the generator and said, "no thanks". I changed the oil and moved on without removing the filter.
seadot

City: Alexandria
State/Province: VA
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Heck or High Water

Return to Ask the Cutwater Factory