Co detector not wired from factory

Questions posted here will receive a response from Cutwater Boats representatives

Co detector not wired from factory

Postby BB marine on Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:41 am

I started to remove interior panels to see if I could use the side vents( Fake vents) to actually vent my engine compartment. After removing a panel and looking up I saw the two wires with stranded ends hanging. This equals three complacencies, Factory never testing and checking , the dealer never testing and checking, and myself never testing and checking. We have owned the boat for 1 1/2 years. and spent many nights on board with the cabin closed up. I have read many articles and forum post AGLCA about CO and make sure you have a CO detector in your Cabin. There was one recently on AGLCA ,a couple died while sleeping in their boat. We have one! It has never worked and I have never checked it . This will now be on my check list of things to check. How are the CO detectors tested and checked at the factory? Thank you.
Brian Brown
26 Cutwater
PORT-A-GEE

BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Re: Co detector not wired from factory

Postby Andrew Custis on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:35 am

Hello Brian,

Thank you for the detailed note about the CO detectors. We have a spot on our test list to ensure these are checked and I have modified it to take it one step further ensuring that two different stations would responsible to test and sign off on that installation.

Sorry for the troubles.
Andrew Custis
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
andrewcustis@rangertugs.com
Andrew Custis
Ranger Factory Rep

City: Kent
State/Province: WA

Postby MartyC on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:41 pm

I added a second CO detector in the v berth where my wife and I sleep. Also, we added a smoke detector in the main cabin.
MartyC

City: Calvert City
State/Province: KY
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Snapshot

Postby baz on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:52 pm

Brian: What method do you use to ensure the CO detector will work when the CO emergency level is reached ?
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 w/F300 outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby BB marine on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:14 am

I don't have a method. That was my question. How do they test them at the factory? There isn't a test button which actually just tells me I have it wired and the alarm sounds. What is the best way to confirm that it will go off when oxygen is low and CO is high? I was complacent on this,I've never tested it.

Brian Brown
26 Cutwater
PORT-A-GEE
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby snydzy on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:40 am

The Xintex CO detector has a green status light to show that it is powered. Mine just started to chirp, and when I removed it, the EOL (end of life) date was Oct. 2017., so it was pretty accurate. I also noted that it can be wired to shut down the generator if connected to an optional relay. Xintex has discontinued this particular model. I’ve been investigating replacements, some are hard wired, but others offer sealed batteries with up to 10 year life expectancies. I’m going to avoid a residential unit for replacement, supposedly the marine units are built to withstand the rigors of a marine environment....More expensive, but price should not be an issue if your life is at stake....
snydzy

City: Leesburg
State/Province: IN
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Tugster

Postby knotflying on Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:13 am

My co detector is still working, but I installed this 10 year throw away and installed it in the V-berth https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FHW7P40/ref=asc_df_B00FHW7P405221855/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00FHW7P40&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167147622449&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11261467944202535025&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011798&hvtargid=pla-312145001935 All this stuff is electronic, I can's see how vibration etc. would affect it. It has a light that blinks every 30 seconds and you can do a manual test. I feel confident that it will do just as well as any other product.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby snydzy on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:42 am

Household units are more sensitive and can give nuisance alarms. The wired-in marine units read on a time weighted basis allowing for spikes in CO. More about the environment they operate in. Probably having both is a good idea. I just wouldn’t get cheap when it comes to devise that could save your life
snydzy

City: Leesburg
State/Province: IN
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Tugster

Postby Kenny Marrs on Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:15 pm

On the right side of the CO detector there is a button you can push to test the unit.

-Kenny
Kenny Marrs

City: Seattle

Postby baz on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:27 pm

Kenny Marrs wrote:On the right side of the CO detector there is a button you can push to test the unit.

-Kenny

Does this simply test that the alarm sound works or does it puff some CO at the CO sensor to simulate the presence of CO ? ;)

I better test is to use one of these CO spray cans.. https://testproducts.com/check-carbon-monoxide-alarm-test-aerosol-p-1279.html

Of if you want to get really serious see https://testproducts.com/enclosed-delivery-system-versa-test-head-p-141.html for $195. :lol: :o Maybe RT can employ this at the factories for testing the CO units. :roll: 8-)
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 w/F300 outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Return to Ask the Cutwater Factory