Oldest R21 Classic?

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Re: Oldest R21 Classic?

Postby cracker39 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:35 pm

REO6205 wrote:
cracker39 wrote:
REO6205 wrote:Another hull number to help you guys in your search. This is from a 2005 I owned.

FMLR 2117 G405

Interesting. I’m guessing that the casting of this hull was subcontracted to another company unless someone has a better explanation for the “FMLR” prefix. Likewise, if the “2117” is a sequential numbering scheme, as generally confirmed by the previous hull numbers we have herein, it is out of sequence. 2005 is the year that the R21 EC evolved but you failed to say whether the 2005 you owned was an R21 - or an R21 EC. I assumed from your use of the past-tense that you were not referring to the R21 EC shown in your profile.

Okay, I'll try explaining this in a little more detail. FMLR 2117 G405 is a 2005 Ranger Tug R-21. It has the small cabin.

As stated above, Fluid Motion is the builder. I have no idea if the hull was subcontracted and I don't really care. It was a fine little boat.

My current boat is an R-21 EC. Everybody clear on this now?

Has anybody contacted the factory to see if they have the needed information or are you guys going to continue to stumble around like a bunch of maritime Three Stooges?

Good luck in your search.

For the record, I was in touch with the factory months ago and they could offer little or no information with respect to the early R21 Classics. They did, however, refer me to a very elderly retired gentlemen who worked with the original Owner of Ranger Fiberglass Boats until his retirement. I have subsequently had a long and fascinating conversation with him about the early years of Ranger and I’m hopeful that the conversation will continue. Your 2005 R21 is of particular interest to me because 2005 is apparently the last year the Classic hull was produced. Your feigned irritation was unnecessary. Not everyone appreciates the nuances of a boats pedigree or evolving design and that’s OK. Enjoy your R21 EC and I’ll enjoy my continuing research.
cracker39

City: Pittsfield
State/Province: ME
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21
Vessel Name: CHESTER

Postby harry ames on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:50 pm

Poopsy is definitely a 1997
1997 R21 Classic named Poopsy
Retired rocket scientist
Following my passion as an Author of the Harold Oliver Detective books published on Amazon
Mostly boat western inland lakes
Owned a loaded C-Dory 22 before Poopsy
harry ames

City: providence
State/Province: UT
Vessel Name: Poopsy

Postby cracker39 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:30 am

To Date:

YEAR———-NAME——————HULL NUMBER—————ENGINE————————-OWNER

1992———-CHESTER————RFB02630E592—————YANMAR 2GM20F———cracker39
1992———-LIL’ TOOT———- RFB02637G592————-YANMAR 3GM30F———Don Cardinal
1995———-EVERGREEN——-RFB02721C595—————YANMAR 3GM30F———Wildog69
1997———-POOPSY———————————————————————————————-Harry Ames
2002———-CHILIDOG——————————————————————————————-Ard
2005———-RIBBIT————————————————————————————————-LAKERtoo
2005—————————————FMLR 2117 G405—————————————————REO6205

I hope that others will continue to add to the list. There has to be a lot of R21’s out there!
cracker39

Postby sparrow on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:55 am

Hi: I have a 1991, serial # RFB02590B591

I'm the third owner. Originally named Island Girl, then Capella, now Rowver.

Here she is: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8141&p=57220&hilit=+r21+classic#p57220
sparrow

City: Ocean City
State/Province: MD
Vessel Name: Rowver

Postby Ard on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:37 pm

Been busy doing winter work on my boat and forgot all about this thread. My HIN is FMLR2101A202. Yanmar 2GM20F
Ard
2002 Ranger R-21
Exploring America's rivers, one leisurely mile after mile
Ard

City: Englewood
State/Province: CO
Non-Ranger Model: WetTruck 26 (whitewater motor rig)
Vessel Name: Chilidog
MMSI Number: 338165568

Postby cracker39 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:11 am

sparrow wrote:Hi: I have a 1991, serial # RFB02590B591

I'm the third owner. Originally named Island Girl, then Capella, now Rowver.

Here she is: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8141&p=57220&hilit=+r21+classic#p57220

Glad to hear from you. That serial number puts you in the lead for the oldest R21 Classic! Am I correct in assuming that you have the Yanmar 2GM20F diesel? Your awning arrangement is most likely what I’m going for this summer. Do you have any photos with the awning rigged?
cracker39

Postby cracker39 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:34 am

Ard wrote:Been busy doing winter work on my boat and forgot all about this thread. My HIN is FMLR2101A202. Yanmar 2GM20F

It’s against the rules to do winter work on an R21 Classic without providing photos or telling us what you’re doing! Cabin fever absolutely demands cooperation! Anyway, that serial number puts you ahead of REO6205 and it helps to determine when Fluid Motion took over - simply as a point in time. It’s interesting to note that, at this point, the Yanmar 2GM20F was used from at least 1991 to 2002. That’s a nice tribute to the little diesel when so many power plants only serve a few years before getting replaced with “bigger and better!”
cracker39

Postby sparrow on Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:24 pm

Cracker39: Yes, I have the Yanmar 2gm. Wonderful little motor. I burn 10-20% biodiesel made from soybean oil and sold by a local dealer. Smells like french fries cooking as I chug along, and helps with engine lubricity.

I don't think I have any pics with the awning up. It's simply a rectangle of Dacron with batten pockets running crosswise every two feet. The ends of the fiberglass battens have bungees that clip onto the rail. Very easy to deploy and store.

Every boat is a compromise, but for my purposes here in the shallow coastal bays she serves me well, and she sure is cheap to run!

I've owned a lot of boats of all types, at least three dozen over the years, and the build quality of my Ranger is at the top of the list. Even at 27 years old, the gelcoat still takes a nice shine.
sparrow

Postby cracker39 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:59 pm

sparrow wrote:Cracker39: Yes, I have the Yanmar 2gm. Wonderful little motor. I burn 10-20% biodiesel made from soybean oil and sold by a local dealer. Smells like french fries cooking as I chug along, and helps with engine lubricity.

I don't think I have any pics with the awning up. It's simply a rectangle of Dacron with batten pockets running crosswise every two feet. The ends of the fiberglass battens have bungees that clip onto the rail. Very easy to deploy and store.

Every boat is a compromise, but for my purposes here in the shallow coastal bays she serves me well, and she sure is cheap to run!

I've owned a lot of boats of all types, at least three dozen over the years, and the build quality of my Ranger is at the top of the list. Even at 27 years old, the gelcoat still takes a nice shine.

What size battens are you using - and are you generally following the hull lines (---in plan view) or just using a nominal say 6'-8" by 10'-0'' rectangle? Any provisions for securing the awning to the horizontal support, or is it just free to move about. I was thinking about having the awning wide enough such that it could be tied down to the rail tent-fashion with the battens removed. The additional overhang would be a problem dockside but not out on the water.
cracker39

Postby sparrow on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:10 pm

The awning was from a sailboat is owned. It's about 6'x10' and uses old Hobie Cat fiberglass battens. For a while I used 1/2" pvc pipe for battens, which also fit in the pockets, but the pipe was too bendy.

It rests untethered on the aluminum pole and the bungees on either side hold it in place very well. I've thought of adding a couple grommets in the center to make a secure connection to the pole but have never gotten around to it.

The awning was made by a local canvas shop and was not expensive. For more money you could make one that is more of a custom fit.

Now if I can just figure out a permanent solution to teak maintenance.....
sparrow

Postby cracker39 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:58 pm

sparrow wrote:The awning was from a sailboat is owned. It's about 6'x10' and uses old Hobie Cat fiberglass battens. For a while I used 1/2" pvc pipe for battens, which also fit in the pockets, but the pipe was too bendy.

It rests untethered on the aluminum pole and the bungees on either side hold it in place very well. I've thought of adding a couple grommets in the center to make a secure connection to the pole but have never gotten around to it.

The awning was made by a local canvas shop and was not expensive. For more money you could make one that is more of a custom fit.

Now if I can just figure out a permanent solution to teak maintenance.....

The prior owner of Chester elected to finish the teak with Cetol (sp?). It has held up real well - with only minor attention currently needed - but you can’t beat the appearance of natural teak! Thanks for the awning information. My primary need is for shade, having had a lifetime’s worth of UV during my years in heavy marine construction. Folding the awning down to tie off to the rails would hopefully serve to minimize the amount of rain entering the cockpit when the boat is left at a dock or mooring.
cracker39

Previous

Return to Chat