Looking for winter enclosure ideas for an R29 CB

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Looking for winter enclosure ideas for an R29 CB

Postby tglen22 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:33 am

I am looking for some ideas on how to best enclose an R29 CB over the winter for outdoor storage. Do you recommend shrink wrapping it completely or investing in a custom canvas set up for both the cockpit area and the command bridge?

Also, is it best to cover the solar panel during the winter as well or not?

Thanks!
tglen22
tglen22

City: Chester
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: Grey Lady

Re: Looking for winter enclosure ideas for an R29 CB

Postby Boatagain on Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:15 pm

Both shrinkwrap and a custom canvas cover will protect the boat nicely. In your/our area it’ll run about $400 to $500 to shrinkwrap your size boat, but it’s only good for one season. A custom canvas cover will run several thousand dollars but will last for many seasons. It’s a matter of how long you’ll keep the boat and/or whether you want to spend big bucks now and wait to recoup the cost in a few years.

If you plan on keeping the batteries onboard and connected I’d suggest keeping the solar panel uncovered to keep them charged. With shrinkwrap one can either install a clear section over the panel (more expensive) or simply cut the wrap to expose the panel and carefully tape the edges of the wrap to the edges of the panel (less expensive). With custom canvas, a clear panel can be installed during it’s fabrication.

Hope this helps.
Michael, Judy, Porsche, Paige and Harry the Tug Dawg
Boatagain

City: Gaithersburg
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 30
Vessel Name: Gatsby

Postby wildbrian1 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:12 am

The R23 has a custom cut shrink wrap cover made for Ranger for shipping. I was considering using it, but not applying the heat so that it could be re-used... it’s quite durable. Maybe Ranger uses a custom “shrink” cover for the R29 CB that you could adapt for your storage needs... good luck.
wildbrian1

City: Gig Harbor
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23

Postby knotflying on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:56 am

When I protected my boat in the winter in Rhode island I used a white heavy duty tarp. The cost was about $85.00 and I would get about 3 years out of it. http://www.coversuperstore.com/30-x-40-heavy-duty-white-poly-tarp-52-oz-12x12-weave. They do come larger. I always had enough light come through for the solar panel and never had issues with the wind or snow tearing it. I made a center support from the folded mast to the bow rail and then from the rear door overhang to the stern rail. I used Bungee ties all around and covers the swim step all the way to the winch. Worked for me!
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby tglen22 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:04 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. Much appreciated! I had a canvas cockpit cover for our Sea Ray and it seemed to work well and reusable. Shrink wrap the whole boat may be the best option but it sure feels like I'm throwing away money.
tglen22

City: Chester
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: Grey Lady

Postby NorthernFocus on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:11 pm

knotflying wrote:When I protected my boat in the winter in Rhode island I used a white heavy duty tarp. The cost was about $85.00 and I would get about 3 years out of it. http://www.coversuperstore.com/30-x-40-heavy-duty-white-poly-tarp-52-oz-12x12-weave. They do come larger. I always had enough light come through for the solar panel and never had issues with the wind or snow tearing it. I made a center support from the folded mast to the bow rail and then from the rear door overhang to the stern rail. I used Bungee ties all around and covers the swim step all the way to the winch. Worked for me!

Ditto on our R25 except for the color of the tarp. I don't use solar charging. I used the same method successfully for several years on a C-Dory 22. Even in the extreme cold of Fairbanks the tarp held up nicely. For purposes of shedding snow I use 2x4s to set up a ridge pole all the way fore and aft.
Dan

Never confuse confidence for competence.
NorthernFocus

City: Wasilla
State/Province: AK
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Divine Focus

Return to Chat