MMIS

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

MMIS

Postby SgtAlf on Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:50 pm

I read the below statement on Polling in BoatUS FAQ for MMSI; OOPS, title's wrong MMSI!!
"The polling function on your radio allows you to obtain the position of a specific vessel using their MMSI number. If their radio is operating within transmission range and is hooked up to their GPS, their position will be transmitted back to you. That can be automatic if the radio has been set up for automatic response (the default setting on many radios), or it can require you to manually authorize the response. Conversely, anyone polling your radio can get your position without your sending it manually if you have set up automatic response and your radio is connected to a GPS. The display will show that someone has polled your position, and an alarm will sound; however, the alarm can be turned off or be too quiet to hear. If you do not want your position sent automatically to a polling request, see your owner's manual to determine how to set up your radio so that you have to authorize it manually."
Can one of you techno wizards expound on this, please.
Are RT's VHF hooked up to the GPS?
Thank you!
Tony & Kathy
R-23 Sea Holli
Jackson, NJ
SgtAlf

City: JACKSON
State/Province: NJ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Sea Holli
MMSI Number: 338303803

Re: MMIS

Postby YukonRon on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:00 pm

On our R25sc the GPS is hooked up to the VHF radio. I have the radio set up to show our position on the display in LAT/LONG. That way I can check that it always knows where I am, so it will include that position information if I had to make a DSC distress call.
I haven't looked into the polling thing yet. I'll need to dig into the manual again..
Last edited by YukonRon on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron & Barb
Whitehorse, Yukon
Yukon Ranger
2013 R25sc
YukonRon

City: Whitehorse
State/Province: YT
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Yukon Ranger
MMSI Number: 316023451

Postby Larry H on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:00 pm

Are RT's VHF hooked up to the GPS?

Yes, they are. The NMEA 2000 network connects all the Garmin electronics (and the Fusion stereo) together.
Larry H
2014 R-27
Jacari Maru
Larry H

City: Tulalip
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru

Postby Pilotnavigator on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:39 pm

Position request also works over the 0183 protocol. However our radio was not connected from the factory with the correct connections. If this feature does not work then check the connection of the cable to the plotter. This was most likely a one off problem with my setup, so your radio should pass the position request made by the radio to the plotter and indicate the other vessels position on your plotter with an icon. The radio, of course, will also display the lat and long on the radio screen. A nice feature if you are trying to meet up with another vessel and giving directions, or if they are away from the radio you can determine their possiton without any input on their end.
John -21EC "Wanderer"
Pilotnavigator

City: Cambridge
State/Province: ON
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Wanderer
MMSI Number: 316028321

Postby SgtAlf on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:38 pm

John,
You say, "Position request also works over the 0183 protocol." What is the 0183 protocol?
This is the Polling feature? I was a Tanker in '72, all I had was a radio...
Thanks,
Tony & Kathy
R-23 Sea Holli
Jackson, NJ
SgtAlf

Postby Pilotnavigator on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:50 pm

0183 is the older wire system used if you don't have 2000.the garmin 200 radio that ranger uses can support 0183 or 2000. Just different plugs at the back. On my 21ec I just have the radio connected to the plotter.
John -21EC "Wanderer"
Pilotnavigator

Postby Water Bill on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:35 pm

My R-23 which I picked up in July 2017 has the Horizon 1600 VHF radio and the Garmin 7610 chart plotter. I was told the factory does not wire them together. Kenny Marrs and Ivan Guzman from the Ranger Tug factory were kind enough to give me instructions and a diagram on how to do the wiring myself. It was tough finding the end of the wires coming out of both units. A lot of feeling around blindly because it is hard to see anything. I had to add about 2 feet of wire to connect both units together. Everything was done from inside the head compartment. You will need to remove the wood paneling to get to the color coded wiring. The VHF radio will display latitude, longitude and time which it receives from the chart plotter if you are successful.

Bill Roche
Water Bill

City: Seneca
State/Province: SC
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl

Postby Larry H on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:59 pm

My 2014 R-27 has a Garmin 200 VHF. I thought that Ranger put Garmin VHFs in all of its boats. Has this changed?

A side note: I am not too impressed with the Garmin 200 VHF. The range seems limited and the incoming calls are not clear. I think that using one VHF antenna and running it thru the AIS 300 first might be to blame. I plan on installing at least one more VHF antenna.

I do like the NMEA 2000 network, no splicing tiny wires!
Larry H
2014 R-27
Jacari Maru
Larry H

Postby Chimo on Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:46 pm

Larry H wrote:My 2014 R-27 has a Garmin 200 VHF. I thought that Ranger put Garmin VHFs in all of its boats. Has this changed?

A side note: I am not too impressed with the Garmin 200 VHF. The range seems limited and the incoming calls are not clear. I think that using one VHF antenna and running it thru the AIS 300 first might be to blame. I plan on installing at least one more VHF antenna.

I do like the NMEA 2000 network, no splicing tiny wires!

Just a comment. I had the same issues with the radio and kept asking for radio checks. I then installed the GHS10 and could hear the radio really clearly apart from being able to actually see what is on the radio screen.

My understanding is that the NEMA 2000 backbone is behind the fridge and not easily accessible. Am I wrong?
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

City: Sidney
State/Province: BC
Vessel Name: Chimo
MMSI Number: 316033437

Postby Larry H on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:20 pm

Chimo,

I needed to add a USB gateway to my NMEA 2000 system. The backbone is behind the fridge. I removed the fridge door and then the fridge. I extended the backbone by changing the VHF radio wire from being a drop to being an extension of the backbone. Then I added a tee to the end of the wire behind the dash, and added a short drop wire to connect the VHF. I now have the end of the backbone behind the dash and was able to add the new USB gateway.

Photo of area behind fridge. The backbone is at the top behind the plywood strip with the yellow wire attached. To work on the backbone, remove the screws holding the plywood strip. If you are not familiar with the NMEA 2000 system, Google can help.

I have considered adding the GHS10, it seems to have solved your radio problem.
Larry H
2014 R-27
Jacari Maru
Larry H

Postby SgtAlf on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:44 pm

I haven't been to my R-23 since 10/18, but I do believe I have a Horizon VHF. I was thinking about swapping the Horizon out for a Garmin VHF 210 AIS Marine Radio. I said Thinking...
Tony & Kathy
R-23 Sea Holli
Jackson, NJ
SgtAlf

Postby Chimo on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:20 pm

Larry,

Thanks for the info on the backbone. That’s going to be a winter voyage of discovery behind the fridge.
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

Postby Salish Seaker on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:20 am

Am I understanding correctly that you're trying to wire your VHF to the Garmin chartplotter so that your VHF is connected to GPS? If that's the objective, you could always get a VHF with built-in GPS and then you wouldn't need to hardwire to the chartplotter.

I installed the Standard Horizon GX1700 on my C-Dory and it had the built in GPS. I never had any problems with the GPS connecting. Easy peasy.

If I'm on the wrong track, carry on...
Peter & Caryn
Brand new R-23 owners!
Salish Seaker

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: TBD

Postby Pilotnavigator on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:38 am

The second reason to connect the vhf to the plotter is using the mmsi calling feature of the vhf you can do a position request to a specific mmsi number and the receiving station will reply back with the lat and long. Typically they will appear on the vhf screen. Not too useful. But if the plotter is connected to the vhf the position will be transferred to the the plotter and show as an icon on the plotter. You can have the vhf continue to request position data over a period of time and track the other vessel.
John -21EC "Wanderer"
Pilotnavigator

Postby Chimo on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:52 pm

Salish Seaker wrote:Am I understanding correctly that you're trying to wire your VHF to the Garmin chartplotter so that your VHF is connected to GPS? If that's the objective, you could always get a VHF with built-in GPS and then you wouldn't need to hardwire to the chartplotter.

I installed the Standard Horizon GX1700 on my C-Dory and it had the built in GPS. I never had any problems with the GPS connecting.

I also had Mtrix GX2200 AIS/GPS unit on the C-Dory Venture and found it very useful. It wasn't so easy, however, to see the AIS targets on the radio screen and then pull up information. That was with the radio mounted in the overhead. Now, on our 2017 R25SC the radio is mounted down by my knees. I would have to climb out of the seat each time I wanted to check something. Fortunately the factory wired it directly to the Garmin 7610. The result is a really significant improvement as has been noted. AIS targets can be tracked and called directly. Adding the remote mike made everything just that much better as I can now see and control the radio within a couple of centimeters of the wheel.
Chimo

Next

Return to Chat