R29 Air conditioner question

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

R29 Air conditioner question

Postby Wine47 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:34 pm

We are interested in a R29 classic, and have a question about the AC. We will be cruising mostly in Florida. I see that it has a 16kBTU unit and a 10kBTU, are they separate and are there 2 compressors? Where is/are the compressors located? Where are the cooling units located, and where are they ducted? Can only one AC be on? We like things cool, so I imagine the AC (maybe not both) will be running most of the time while underway, dockside and at anchor? Thanks, Mark & Jane
Wine47

City: Dallas
State/Province: TX

Re: R29 Air conditioner question

Postby trailertrawlerkismet on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:56 pm

Mark and Jane:

Things change with a models production, even within the same year so your questions may not be straight forward. I'd suggest you obtain the hull serial number, even the boats original owners name you are looking at and call Andrew Custis at Ranger Tugs. Andrew can be reached at the Kent location at 253-839-5213 and I'm guessing he can answer your questions accurately with the information I mentioned.

Jim F
Jim & Lisa FavorsR29S Kismet
info@trailertrawlerlife.com
http://www.trailertrawlerlife.com
http://favorsgreatloopblog.com
http://boatus.com/cruising/kismet/log.asp
trailertrawlerkismet

City: Traverse City
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: (2018) Kismet

Postby Scottfree on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:52 pm

In the 2010 R29 the forward berth AC is under the helm floor and is accessible by removing the fridge. Air intake vent is under the closet door in the berth and output is at the head of the bed. The main salon AC is under the floor at the 1st Mates (port side) seat. Output is in the face of the step to this area. Intake is at the foot of the cave. Although there is a large access in the cave I'm not sure you could remove or service the main salon unit. Looks like some extensive Reciporcal Saw work to me.

Both AC unit will run at the same time on 30 amp shore power. We ran our salon unit with the generator this summer while on the Great Loop rivers. Both units running will keep a large side of hanging meat from spoiling!

The AC units are reverse cycle meaning they heat or cool and are a mostly self contained unit. They are not designed to be repaired and are a replace only item when they fail. They are cool with raw water and a circulating pump in the engine bay. This water exits the hull through two through hulls on the port side.

Good luck!
Leon & Karen
Scottfree R29 Classic
Scottfree

City: West Kelowna BC
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Scottfree

Postby Irish Mist on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:53 am

Ditto for our 2011
Irish Mist

City: victoria
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic

Postby kevin_summit on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:54 am

Wine47 wrote:We are interested in a R29 classic, and have a question about the AC. We will be cruising mostly in Florida. I see that it has a 16kBTU unit and a 10kBTU, are they separate and are there 2 compressors? Where is/are the compressors located? Where are the cooling units located, and where are they ducted? Can only one AC be on? We like things cool, so I imagine the AC (maybe not both) will be running most of the time while underway, dockside and at anchor? Thanks, Mark & Jane

Mark,

Current production R29's come with two AC units, the AFT AC unit is under the helm seat and is accessible through the mid-berth. There is a removable panel to inspect but if needed you can take out the forward panels and access the whole unit. The FWD AC unit is located under the V-berth bed and covered by a removable panel that requires no tools to access. If my memory serves me correct the AC vents in the cabin, one is located on the helm side panel and one on the port side by the co-captains chair. There is only one vent in the v-berth which is one the FWD wall. Both AC units can be running while underway, this is something we have changed since there was such a demand for being able to run both units while underway. Now on boats older than 2017 and maybe 2016 things might be different and not 100% sure if you are able to run both while underway. If you are looking at the Classic R29 with the helm door you are limited to running one AC unit at a time and not sure where the vents are located. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try and help you as much as I can. Also feel free to email me as I typically respond quicker through email, my email is in my signature.

Thank you,
Kevin Lamont
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
kevinlamont@rangertugs.com
kevin_summit

City: kent
State/Province: WA

Return to Chat