R23 Options to consider

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

R23 Options to consider

Postby OlygirlNav on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:04 pm

As a new owner of a R23 (arrived July 2017) I've had time in the rainy season in Washington to think about options for the boat that I was too excited to consider when purchasing a brand new boat. Ranger Tug has such a great complete package, especially compared to other boats I was considering that I was little overwhelmed and didn't think of these things at the time of purchase. So here are some things to consider putting on the boat if purchasing a new R23:
1. Galvanic Isolator - we keep the boat in saltwater year round
2. Spot light on the mast
3. Visual way to check holding tank level - maybe something as simple as a long slot to shine a flashlight at and see where the tank level is
4. Diesel tank level indicator (with heater option) - haven't thought of an easy way to do this yet. Indicator could be close to the tank so that it could be checked. It could be a device that would indicate the less than 1 gallon mark? I tried the dip stick method and with a curved neck that didn't work.
5. Option for a quiet water pump (with reservoir) so there would be no "thumping" and dimming of lights when in use
6. Option for smart plug
7. Option for captains seat to fold forward for more galley room
8. Option for tie down points in engine area if have outboard
9. Modify bed cushion so head door will open without having to remove it

Options we did get are the heater and radar, essential for Puget Sound area.

There may be other options to consider for new owners I know people on the forum are not shy in responding.
Cheers.
Cool Mint Navigator
OlygirlNav

City: Olympia
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Cool Mint

Re: R23 Options to consider

Postby baz on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:39 pm

Some ideas...

1) Maybe... Extended Bimini top making it suitable for a full stern squared-off cockpit enclosure. The stock top is short of hanging out to the transom. In fact, why not make the Bimini optional ?

2) Make the cockpit fold out seat(s) optional

3) Offer remote control for the Webasto forced air heater

4) Offer different V-berth mattress materials (softer ones :D )

5) Offer a White hull option along with a discount as White is less expensive
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB NW Edition - IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Postby jagizzi on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:02 pm

Ranger has a Galvanic Isolator as part of the spares kit for purchase. Haven't installed mine yet but it seems straightforward once I get over the fear of drilling in my new boat.
Jim and Kelli Gizzi
Next Ten
2018 R23
NWesterly.com
Friday Harbor
jagizzi

City: Battle Ground
Non-Ranger Model: R-23, July 3rd delivery, yippee
Vessel Name: Next Ten

Postby baz on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:53 pm

I added a Galvanic Isolator to my previous R-25 (Classic) which was kept in slat water. It did not help at all with reducing the erosion of my underwater anodes.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Tugforme on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:45 am

Great thoughts on modifications.

For the holding tank, I hear there is a tank monitoring system that uses sensors that are attached to the outside of the tank. Since the tanks are located along the centerline of the boat under the main cabin floor, access can be obtained by removing the interior wall in the birth under the settee. It is my understanding that this system costs several hundred dollars, but knowing the state of your holding tank can be invaluable!

On a previous post, I suggested that RT install the deck fitting for the diesel tank fill directly over the tank so the fill hose is vertical. This would allow the fuel level to be checked by simply inserting a dip stick into the tank through the deck fill. However, after further thought, I don't see why a flexible dip stick like those used to check engine oil levels couldn't be fabricated with 1/4 tank increment markings. A flexible dip stick like this, perhaps with a small ball at the tip to prevent it from becoming snagged, could be inserted through the deck fill and snaked down the fill tube into the tank to provide fuel level reading. RT should consider fabricating a dip stick like this and providing one on boats with the diesel heat option.

Regarding the issue of the head door hitting the V-birth cushion, I wonder whether this cushion could be eliminated all together. With it removed, there not only is more room to move around in the forward cabin and to open and close the head door, but there is also room to sit on the portion of the port and starboard side cushions that is accessible with this cushion removed. But, it also appears that a bed pillow could be placed on this section of the side cushions and that it would be possible to sleep on either side of the V-birth with your feet at the bow and your head on this pillow. With just your head extending past the full width cushions of the V-birth, it might be possible to sleep comfortably in this position. If so, the cushion could be eliminated and it would only be necessary to secure the table and the center cushion in place.

This discussion about the V-birth raises a question in my mind concerning what R23 owners do for bedding since the V-birth cushions are permanently attached to the plywood that also covers the storage space under the birth. It would appear that installing a mattress pad and fitted sheet over these cushions would be difficult and that securing a top sheet and blanket might be even harder. Taking this a step further, has anyone considered separating the cushions from the plywood, securing the plywood over the V-birth storage areas and then securing the cushions with velcro or snaps as needed? Openings could be cut into the plywood with inserts fabricated to provide access to the V-birth storage while also providing support for the cushions. A plywood sheet could also be fabricated and secured in lieu of the table top and could be made larger than the table to improve the sleeping arrangement mentioned above.

In addition to the R23 modifications already discussed on Tugnuts, I have had the following thoughts on modification to there R23:

1) Install a double roller pivotting extension on the bow roller for the anchor using the location of the existing roller pin for the pivot point. I have found a pivot with two rollers helps keep the anchor away from the bow and helps make the anchor deploy as soon as pressure is released on the anchor chain. I am partial to Spade anchors because they have a thick curved shank with a flat edge that sits firmly on the rollers. The curved shank also makes the anchor deploy as soon as the chain is released and creates a trajectory that also tends to keep the anchor away from the bow. Besides that, the anchor sets instantly and has great holding power.

2) There are a few things that I think could be done to improve the shower curtain configuration in the forward cabin. Currently the curtain track ends just forward of the bulkhead between the V-birth and the toilet compartment. This leaves a gap between the curtain and the bulkhead for spray from the shower to get on the Starboard V-birth cushion. This could be eliminated if this end of the track were bent so it ends to the right of this bulkhead assuming the track would not interfere with the head door. If the track could be extended to the back of the toilet compartment along this bulkhead and the curtain lengthened somewhat, it could be gathered and stored behind and to the left of the toilet where it would be out of the way and out of sight when the head door is closed. This would also leave the bulkhead next to the sink uncluttered by the shower curtain and cover.

3) Due to the limited amount of cockpit storage on the R23, an option that would add useful storage, albeit with some limitations, would be to replace the transom fold down seat with a removable seat enclosure fabricated out of fiberglass and secured to the cockpit transom with hand tightened bolts from inside of the storage area. Stronger struts could be used to compensate for the added weight. Use of this storage space would be limited to items such as fenders and dock lines that would not be affected when the center cockpit hatch is opened. This storage would be especially useful for boats that have the optional generator installed. Since finding a company to fabricate a custom seat enclosure like this would likely be difficult and expensive, it would be nice if RT would offered a seat like this as a factory option.

4) With limited tankage three are a few things that could be done to improve this situation. The first is to replace the existing head with an electric macerating head. Based on the hose fitting locations on some electric heads, it might be possible to mount one at a more comfortable orientation perpendicular to the boat's centerline. These heads are very efficient and some have separate flush modes for liquid and solid waste. This would make the 11 gallon holding tank go further. Tank level sensors could also be installed on the outside of the holding tank to provide real time assurance of the tank's remaining capacity.

Another improvement to the tankage situation might be to install a small 14.5 gallon bladder tank in the finished bow section under the V-birth cushions. The fill tube might fit in the deck between the toe rail and the anchor locker hatch and the vent tube could be installed in the side of the anchor locker. Depending on preferences, this tank could be used exclusively for on board water, for head flushing only or for either purpose based on how it is integrated with the boat's plumbing.

5) Replace the stainless steel railing behind the galley with an off the shelf teak dish and coffee mug rack, perhaps with a second teak rack of choice if room permits. This would leave more room to store other things inside the galley cabinet and would make good use of the space along the wall behind the galley. If the stainless railing behind the toilet were eliminated, it would similarly be possible to fabricate and install a storage cabinet behind the toilet.

Tugforme
Tugforme

City: E. Falmouth
State/Province: MA

Postby OlygirlNav on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:47 pm

Tugforme, Thanks for the well thought out additions. I am going to look into using a dipstick to measure the heater fuel level. It looks like I can get a long dipstick from multiple sources.
Cheers.
Cool Mint Navigator
OlygirlNav

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Cool Mint

Postby ixlr8 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:02 pm

OlygirlNav wrote:Tugforme, Thanks for the well thought out additions. I am going to look into using a dipstick to measure the heater fuel level. It looks like I can get a long dipstick from multiple sources.

Looking at pictures of the tank, getting a dipstick into the tank from the fill port looks to be difficult. Where is the vent tube located? It looks like it would be easier to get a dipstick down that line easier as it bends into the tank. Where the fill port goes in after a 90deg bend.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby baz on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:39 pm

The larger fill pipe does take a rather sharp 90º angle into the tank's top. The smaller diameter vent pipe also takes a 90º bend rather than a sharp bend as for the filler pipe. However, getting a flexible dip stick through the vent pipe is still quite a challenger IMO. Not only will it be kind of tricky you have to think that when removing the dip stick diesel fuel will likely be smeared along the stick making it almost impossible to accurately determine the tank's fuel level.

I do not think using a flexible dip stick is advisable.

For the R-27/OB model the tank is completely visible when peering into the back of the cabinet/locker at base of the oven.

I'm wondering if an IR gun tool such as this for $18 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V5BZX8W/ref=asc_df_B00V5BZX8W5329814/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00V5BZX8W&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194899782153&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=839721677607638544&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033269&hvtargid=pla-313042831100 could be used to figure out the fuel level in the R-27/OB's diesel tank for the Webasto heater ? The idea being that the temp of the tank's surface will be different where there's fuel and where's there's just air.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby wildbrian1 on Wed May 02, 2018 1:41 am

Tugforme, would you mind letting me know which bow roller extension you installed? Thank you.
wildbrian1

City: Gig Harbor

Postby tpfahy on Wed May 02, 2018 1:08 pm

We piled on the stuff in the first two months last spring (when there was more research than practical application), and then put Charlie Rock on a diet and ditched stuff that still had tags, or hadn't been used.

I have a lot of this posted in my album, but:
- Richard in RT Parts can get you the remote. Webasto. $39.50. Part # 5012610A.
Works like a charm, no more lifting up the dinette seat at night to adjust the temp/fan
- Spare keys, several. Again, get them from Richard
- Cushion Mod. We just got our V-birth cushion mod back from Boat Tailors in Racine. Wanted it done well. Pic posted. Cut the cushion, that door gets a lot of use. Try 25 openings and see if you can already see fraying and wear on the fabric. Contour the cushion.
- Hatch Covers for privacy, light and heat. Made some out of Sunbrella fabric and just had them trimmed. Really nice to make the v-birth dark for sleeping and with Windshield reflector backing, keeps the heat out.
- Contractors tube (locking) for rods on top
- 12 volt search light with red filter vs spotlight. Can put it anywhere i want
- Mini rechargeable compressor/pump. 100 uses, tubes, floats, fenders, Paddle-boards, Trailer / Truck tires etc. Stores in a tub in the cave.
- add a couple of 12v usb sockets near dash and by hand rail on co-pilots seat. Powers a permanent Ipod/Old iphone for tunes and a Weather Station/Waves/Garmin Helm mirror ipad on hand rail
- Ram Mount and rail mount with spring case for that Ipad above. Never moves, 1ft Ipad cords
- Boat charger kits, with cable stays. Owner/guest chargers for various phone types, AC multi plug and 12v Multi plugs. Dinette table and by sink in V-birth
- Shock cord and hood with command hooks to hold everything nicely on shelfs, including mugs behind sink/stove, on all the shelfs in v-birth and in the head. nothing has ever fallen (5 ft seas on monday afternoon)
- Reverse the privacy panel for the Cabin Door. i put it outside, on the door itself, can stay on and door can open and close. OEM - you have to remove it from the frame to get out. Using the original velcro inside for a removable Magnetic closing screen door. Also adding solid, velcro attached screen to the hinged window.
- Make/buy flag/pendant/burgee covers. I fly a US flag aft, army guidon from the mast and a burgee from the bow pole. They get REALLY noisy flapping, but removal is a nuisance (plus fading and fraying from flapping at speed. Made Covers/Sleeves out of sunbrella. US and Burge are slip over with a shock cord cinch at bottom. Mast is a wrap with velcro on sides and then secure with an extra velcro wrap strap.

Yeah, these are all self-mods vs factory mods, but there are no do-overs once you buy. Loving this boat. Launched Apr 23 this year when the ice was finally gone and just finished my fifth night onboard since then. We put 846 miles on her last season (May 24 to Oct 24 was all we got last year), plan to beat that early this year. Enjoy your R23s/R27s!
tpfahy

City: Celebration
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: Charlie Rock

Postby jagizzi on Wed May 02, 2018 11:10 pm

Great list of mods, thanks for sharing.

Can you help me understand this one a bit better? I get the shock cord idea but that is all. What is the reference to hood and command hooks?

"Shock cord and hood with command hooks to hold everything nicely on shelfs, including mugs behind sink/stove, on all the shelfs in v-birth and in the head. nothing has ever fallen (5 ft seas on monday afternoon)"

Thanks,

Jim
Jim and Kelli Gizzi
Next Ten
2018 R23
NWesterly.com
Friday Harbor
jagizzi

Postby tpfahy on Thu May 03, 2018 9:26 am

as much as i admire your fresh/hot water wash down port in the cockpit, i am anti-drilling and cutting so far. i will use command hooks and tape i can remove.

the for bungee shelf mods, take a look at these pics.
gallery2.php?g2_itemId=53101
gallery2.php?g2_itemId=54209

loops on the end of shock cord, a wire hook at the ends and middle. Mugs hold the shock cord in tension. on the shelves, i have a command hook at each end on the side walls, shock cord with loops run between. light tension based on measured length and trial and error. only needed the gorilla tape on the aft end of the galley hooks. i use a heat knife to cut the shock cord, along with any lines or splicing clean up.

1/4 inch shock cord (matching hull color of course)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008J ... detailpage?

Shock cord terminal end loop
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A1 ... UTF8&psc=1

Shock cord terminal end hook (i remove the lock tab - also good for fender "mounts" on front stantions) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MH ... UTF8&psc=1

Command hooks (clear, small, wire)
https://www.amazon.com/Command-Small-Cl ... lear&psc=1

Double sided gorilla tape.
https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-6065001- ... rilla+tape
tpfahy

City: Celebration
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: Charlie Rock

Postby jagizzi on Thu May 03, 2018 7:03 pm

I like that! Thanks for the clarification. It will be a summer project on our boat for sure.

Jim
Jim and Kelli Gizzi
Next Ten
2018 R23
NWesterly.com
Friday Harbor
jagizzi

Postby pandron on Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:40 pm

This is a great list of mods! I just installed an inverter, Victron battery monitor, and 175W solar panel! So far so good

Does anyone know what anchor roller will fit the R23? I really like the idea of a pivoting roller.
pandron

City: Washington
State/Province: DC
Vessel Name: Laysan

Postby Mario.gaglioti on Mon May 13, 2019 2:42 pm

How difficult was the inverter install? I was considering doing that myself
Mario.gaglioti

City: BALTIMORE
State/Province: MD