R23 Options to consider

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Re: R23 Options to consider

Postby az9133bm on Mon May 13, 2019 3:18 pm

We too used the winter to modify our new-to-us R-23.

Consider reviewing our Photo Album: Arizona Trailer R-23. We've detailed some of the projects we've completed.

We are in the process of installing a Mantus bow Roller with Anchor Mate. I'll post pictures when complete. Prior to purchasing the heavier bow roller, we did purchase and install the Mantus Anchor Mate to accommodate our new Mantus anchor and it worked ok. You can see how we did it in many of the pictures posed in our album. We believe the factory anchor roller is too small and likely causes damage to the hull when retrieving and stowing a larger anchor.

Let me know if you have questions.
2017 R-23 "Ruby"
Arizona
az9133bm

City: Scottsdale
State/Province: AZ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Ruby

Postby Mario.gaglioti on Wed May 15, 2019 12:49 pm

I wish they made the gull wing seats an option on the R23! I pick up my 2019 this Saturday. First boat, can't wait
Mario.gaglioti

City: BALTIMORE
State/Province: MD
Vessel Name: Tiger Lily

Postby pandron on Sun May 19, 2019 9:57 am

The inverter wasn't horrible to install. The hardest part by far was getting it to fit behind the carpeted panel next to the AC circuit breaker panel. I mounted to the backside of that panel and then ran the cables through the aft bulkhead with the rest of the battery cables. Very tight fit. The biggest issue was the depth of the inverter. It's basically sandwiched in there. The mounting screws are an afterthought. It's not ideal from a thermal management perspective, but keeping the battery cables short was the trade-off. I'm pretty sure this is where Ranger Tugs installs it at the factory. We got the Xantrex PROwatt SW 2000 W. It seems to be enough to run the hot water heater and hot showers are a game changer for weekend trips!
pandron

City: Washington
State/Province: DC
Vessel Name: Laysan

Postby az9133bm on Sun May 19, 2019 1:24 pm

We've completed adding a proper bow roller and anchoring system to our R-23. See our Photo Album: "Arizona Trailer R-23" for details.

At the core of the new system, we used a Mantus:
- BR1 Anchor Roller
- Anchor Mate
- 18# Anchor
- Swivel

We thru-bolted using a 1-1/2"x 4"x 17" teak plank on the deck end and bolted directly to existing factory bow roller. The stowed anchor is over 3" away from the stem.

I know we'll sleep better at anchor.

Let me know if you have questions.

ImageImage
Last edited by az9133bm on Tue May 21, 2019 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
2017 R-23 "Ruby"
Arizona
az9133bm

Postby Hamster on Mon May 20, 2019 4:22 pm

Ruby - could you explain this part: "We thru-bolted using a 1-1/2"x 4"x 17" teak plank on the deck end and bolted directly to existing factory bow roller."

It seems what you are saying, and what the pictures indicate, that you left the factory bow roller in place and put the BR1 on top. How are you bolting directly to that? There isn't any access to those bolts, so did you also cut a hole in the storage locker to get there? Why did you leave the factory bow roller in place?
Hamster

City: Bellingham
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: Tokitae

Postby az9133bm on Mon May 20, 2019 4:59 pm

We recognized that our solution had to involve the existing factory RT roller. As you mentioned, there is no way to access the fasteners without cutting an access hole in the anchor locker. We were tempted to do that (inaccessible areas on boats...Seriously!?) until we came across the Mantus Bow Rollers.

The beauty of the Mantus bow rollers is that they have a flange with a slot (see diagram below) to accommodate their Anchor Mate system, below the base of the unit. We merely used this flange as a bracket to thru-bolt to the RT roller. We did drill two holes in the RT roller that lined up with the flange slot for proper positioning on top of the RT roller. We drilled the holes with the RT roller in place (advantages of being a trailer boater!) using a centering drill bit to establish the hole and then a step drill bit to get the size we needed (1/2")

Once we determined the positioning of the Mantus on top of the RT, we took measurements for the teak plank. On our boat it was a 1-1/2" height. We chose 4" wide by 17" long to provide the best surface for mounting the Mantus Bow Roller and for the anchor chain to run. Mounting the plank was a simple process since full access is available in the anchor locker.

We removed the RT Bow Roller's bail and roller. We drilled out the holes for the bail (forward holes) and thru bolted using the "axle tube" of the original roller. In addition, we put a bolt through the holes for the roller (aft holes) for additional rigidity.

The Mantus bow roller comes with the mounting holes pre-drilled; problem is that the forward two holes are unusable (too far forward) so we drilled two new holes about 2-1/4" further aft to align for thru-bolting to the anchor locker below.

Once fully mounted, we believe this provides a surprisingly strong fitment: we retained all the strength of the original system while adding the independent robust mounting of the Mantus system. The new roller is almost 4" forward of where the old roller was giving a lot more room for bigger anchors. Additionally, we were able to use the Mantus Anchor Mate to secure the anchor firmly when housed.

Let me know if you need more details or have any other questions.

George

Last edited by az9133bm on Wed May 22, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 R-23 "Ruby"
Arizona
az9133bm

Postby Cutwater28GG on Tue May 21, 2019 5:44 pm

FYI on the heater fuel measurement. The specs of the webasto heater are to draw 0.12 – 0.24(l / h) of diesel. which at most is 1 cup of diesel or 8 fluid oz of diesel an hour. in the temperate conditions of the PNW its like the lower end of the scale so 4oz.

compared to the innacuracies of the fuel flow (which can be inaccurate at 10% on fuel level with main engine usage) its tiny.

unless you are camped out all night every night I wouldnt bother.
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Previous

Return to Chat