It's a nice day for a short cruise here in PNW

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

It's a nice day for a short cruise here in PNW

Postby baz on Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:16 pm

Subject: It's a nice day for a short cruise here in PNW

Sun is out, 42ºF with a slight over cast of thin clouds, chance of rain 0%, wind at around 5 mph with visibility at 10 miles.

Will be taking out the family with 7 of us onboard. Will need to get to boat ahead of everybody to warm the cabin up. Now that we have the cockpit full enclosure things will be better out of the cabin and with sun shining it warms up that area nicely.

Was down at the boat yesterday and all was well; cranked up the F300 and it started immediately without any fuss.

OK... I'm ready to go..... :lol:
Barry, (1st mate Gill passed away Aug 11, 2018) & Jake (Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 S Hero Red to be delivered Mar 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 Outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Re: It's a nice day for a short cruise here in PNW

Postby ixlr8 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:35 pm

baz wrote:Subject: It's a nice day for a short cruise here in PNW

Sun is out, 42ºF with a slight over cast of thin clouds, chance of rain 0%, wind at around 5 mph with visibility at 10 miles.

Will be taking out the family with 7 of us onboard. Will need to get to boat ahead of everybody to warm the cabin up. Now that we have the cockpit full enclosure things will be better out of the cabin and with sun shining it warms up that area nicely.

Was down at the boat yesterday and all was well; cranked up the F300 and it started immediately without any fuss.

OK... I'm ready to go..... :lol:

Sure, rub it in. My boat is not scheduled for delivery for another 10 weeks, 2 days, 18 hrs and 45 min, but who's counting. It is presently 33dF with 4" of snow on the ground here, the lakes are frozen over and the boat ramps to the ocean have a layer of ice on them. :(

Re: F300-- Got to love electronic fuel injection.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby baz on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:35 pm

Oh... it's so nice to have the speed. Rest of family arrived at dockside 1 hr late so I had to motor some to make our round trip in daylight. At 35 mph we made short work of getting there and back with a nice amount of time at the layover at our destination. The speed is good when time is in short supply. :D

Had to use the trim tabs quite frequently as people moved about. When dusk arrived we turned on the underwater lights so we could spot the mermaids much to the delight of the adults and young girls onboard. I could see them but they for some reason could not. :lol:

As an aside, the boat does not like to move between 10 kts to 15 kts. It simply digs in and fuel burn goes up, and we get a huge stern wave. Nudge the throttle forward a bit and she climbs out of the hole and gets up on plane and becomes absolutely smooth riding. These winter days can be very enjoyable and with just a little sun things are quite warm in the cockpit and cabin so no need to turn on the Webasto heater.

Having the cockpit enclosure makes it very safe in the cockpit with small children and our dog in that area. Even though you can see all around with the enclosure up, it provides a solid feeling of being enclosed and protected.

A nice day was had for sure.

Sorry Jim.... your 10 weeks+ are going to fly by.... shame you aren't in my neighborhood otherwise you could share the fun. :o
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby johnniethek on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:11 am

Hey, Barry, I'm in your neighborhood and still am waiting to join you in the fun! :)

My delivery of this fantastic boat, at least the 2019 version, will be in June. I am planning to have the cockpit cover installed at the factory.

A question: when you ran the boat yesterday, did you have any of the cockpit enclosure open or was it all closed all the time? I imagine there must be a trial and error basis to figuring out how many (and which) parts of the enclosure you can open while keeping things back there comfortably warm, factoring in weather, speed, etc., too.
John
2019 R-27 OB Hero Red "Salish Searcher" - on order.
johnniethek

City: Enumclaw
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Red Ranger
MMSI Number: 338092124

Postby baz on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:00 pm

You must details any changes you're aware of for the 2019 model compared to the 2018 model. :)

You asked about: ...did you have any of the cockpit enclosure open or was it all closed all the time?

1) When we started off I had just the doorway panel rolled up with the transom door closed. As the sun was out the inside of the cockpit was nice and comfy with temps at least around 70ºF inside and outside at around 45ºF.

2) With a gentle speed of less than 10 kts or less as we moved out and away from the marina the doorway panel was left open without any discomfort in the cockpit.

3) As speed was increased to 12 to 15 kts with the boat digging a hole and having a big stern wave there was some back splash spray coming through the door panel opening, so it was rolled down and partially zipped up.

4) As the boat got up onto plane at around the 15 to 20 kts the back splashing eased and ceased as evidenced of there being no water droplets on the rolled down door panel. It was decided to leaved the door panel rolled down for no other reason but to offer security for the small children onboard. They were just kneeling on the transom seat, looking out to stern and being mesmerized by the stupendous wake being left behind the boat. :o :lol:

5) The seven panels are large and the vertical canvas strips/zip portion are minimal, offering a glorious 300º view of the surrounding waters.

6) We did not roll up of of the panels beyond the door panel during our cruise.

7) My guess is that with the very large wide transom panel being open and rolled up there would be little discomfort with wind or water spray coming into the cockpit.

8) With the boat moving at 35 mph no nasty drafts were being experienced in the cockpit from what the passengers told me.

9) The full cockpit enclosure provides a very nice safe comfortable 3rd compartment for passengers when temps are low outside, frees up the cabin space immensely as with 7 passengers the cabin can become over crowded some, and most importantly the cabin door can be left fully open.

10) It may have been my imagination, but with the enclosure fully deployed there was less noise at the helm coming from the cockpit area. People talking to me at the helm from the cockpit area was not an issue and I could hear them clearly.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby baz on Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:58 pm

Added a video of the outbound ride..... :lol: Very smooth at around 32 mph and noise level very comfortable.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B1AGdPblXGcS2sg

Petra waiting for 'lift-off'.

Skyline at end of the winter cruise.
Last edited by baz on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby jimschu on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:37 pm

We moved to Edmonds last year and expect to have our new to us 2017 Cutwater-28 moored at the marina by
the first of May. Hope to see you around the marina this summer.

Your R-27 is a great combination, good choice.

jim
jimschu

Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Seascape Too
MMSI Number: 123456789

Postby baz on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:52 pm

I believe there's a CW 28 already on E Dock opposite my R-27/OB in slip E-32. Also, in addition there's an R-23 two slips up from me on E Dock and then a R-25SC one boat further. On my side of E Dock the slips are 30-feet whereas on opposite side on E Dock they are 32 feet.

There are several R-25 Classics, R-27 Classics, R-25SC and R-23s on the D Dock.

I face south toward the D Dock and the fairway between D and E is several feet wider than on the other side of D Dock. Makes turning about easier and less hazarded.

When you are exiting the marina from the E & D docks and approaching the fuel dock on your starboard side keep a sharp lookout to your beam toward the lift as some boats come out at you and can surprise you, especially if they're not looking. If they've just been lowered to the water they are likely to be messing with fenders and lines and their heads are down whereas they should be looking forward..... sigh.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Return to Chat