Amateur Radio License

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Amateur Radio License

Postby SgtAlf on Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:54 pm

I have had a Technician Class Amateur Radio License for over 20 years. Call Sign KC2CXZ. Does this license benefit me in the marine environment in any way?
Tony & Kathy
R-23 Sea Holli
Jackson, NJ
SgtAlf

City: JACKSON
State/Province: NJ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Sea Holli
MMSI Number: 338303803

Re: Amateur Radio License

Postby HRowland on Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:27 pm

Hi Tony. I have had call WB1AJX for over 40 years, currently Extra class. For boating all your amateur license will allow is operating your ham radio transceivers on board. In US waters you do not need an FCC license to use marine radios. If operating to foreign ports you will need a ships radio license and a restricted radiotelephone operator permit, your ham license will not help.
I have used my Elecraft KX3 HF transceiver on board my R27. Salt water makes a great ground plane for a vertical HF antenna!

Howard
HRowland

City: Warwick
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: 2008 Nordic Tug 37
Vessel Name: Catnip

Postby SgtAlf on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:32 am

Howard, Thank you, that's what I thought but wanted confirmation. For some reason I never had the desire to advance my license. Maybe when I retire. I'll have to learn morse code... I only have a hand held, and an old radio shack mobil up in the loft somewhere.
Tony & Kathy
R-23 Sea Holli
Jackson, NJ
SgtAlf

Postby HRowland on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:17 am

Tony,

I held an Advanced class license for 40 years because I could not pass the 20 WPM code test for Extra. There is no longer a code requirement, you just take the multiple choice test. You also do not need to go to an FCC office for the test, there are many clubs/groups that have individuals authorized to administer the tests. I passed the Extra test about a year ago.

Howard
HRowland

City: Warwick
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: 2008 Nordic Tug 37
Vessel Name: Catnip

Postby Crewdog on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:26 am

It would still be fun to make some vhf and uhf QSLs when visiting different towns, states and countries while cruising.

A lot of people would love to log a contact with a Marine Mobile station; as much fun as making contact with Locomotive Mobile, Airborne Mobile, Motorcycle Mobile or Equine Mobile.

Used to be a corporate pilot in a King Air who made contacts with an HT on simplex while flying at 18,000 ft over the SE US.

It would be fun to make a QSL card with a Ranger Tug on it.

KI4EGQ
Bill and Nicole Parks
Blue Merle
2012 R-27
Woodstock, GA
Crewdog

City: Woodstock
State/Province: GA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Blue Merle
MMSI Number: 367556050

Postby SgtAlf on Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:51 pm

Well now Bill, you have peaked my interest. No Morse Code, I'm in! LOL.
Thanks,
Tony & Kathy
R-23 Sea Holli
Jackson, NJ
SgtAlf

Postby mferguson on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:21 pm

I'm awaiting delivery of a new CW28.

I'm planning on doing some cruising around the great lakes, and plan to install an amateur transceiver in it, likely will use a hustler vertical mounted on the port roof rail. Will use it mostly on rainy days. I do mostly CW, but also think that 2 meters FM might be helpful for getting local information in various ports.

Other than that, not much help.

Mike K0MF
mferguson

City: Glenwood Springs
State/Province: CO
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Apres Ski

Postby stwendl on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:36 pm

Watch your transmition power with all the boat electronics. Don’t to want to fry anything

K9ws
Difference between RVers and Boaters:
RVers move until they reach water, Boaters move until they reach land.
Ranger Tug owners can do both :)
stwendl

City: palo alto
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Cataleya

Postby Paul Elliott on Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:43 pm

stwendl wrote:Watch your transmition power with all the boat electronics. Don’t to want to fry anything

K9ws

While you have to be careful with your installation and antenna, there's usually no big problem when transmitting on the HF ham bands at 100W levels. My sailboat has a 150W marine SSB that I also use on ham bands. I added a few strategically-placed ferrite cores on some of my signal cables and have no major interference issues.

In the USA you don't need a license for marine VHF, but you do need a licenses for marine SSB: a Ship Station License, and an Operator's Permit. No tests required, just an application and fee. You of course need the appropriate ham license for ham-band operation.

Have fun!
-Paul, WB6CXC
Paul Elliott

City: Friday Harbor
State/Province: WA

Postby Doc of the Bay on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:52 pm

Ship Radio Stations at FCC.GOV has good info on marine radio restrictions.
Doc of the Bay

City: Anchorage
State/Province: AK
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Doc of the Bay

Postby harry ames on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:49 am

I put an early ICOM on my 32 foot Gulf Motor Sailer back in the day. I used the Hustler vertical that you would use for ground based mobile. I put it on a stainless rail. When I transmitted I could feel the radiation and static. So, I had to take the time to rung 4 inch flat copper ribbon ground plane in the hull for about 15 feet. That improved the SWR tremendously and stopped the "feel" of the emissions when transmitting. I chatted in morse with my youngest son at the time. I was commuting from Sun Valley Idaho to my boat in Marina DelRey twice a month. Loved those morse Chats with my kid.
1997 R21 Classic named Poopsy
Retired rocket scientist
Following my passion as an Author of the Harold Oliver Detective books published on Amazon
Mostly boat western inland lakes
Owned a loaded C-Dory 22 before Poopsy
harry ames

City: providence
State/Province: UT
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21
Vessel Name: Poopsy

Postby mferguson on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on the hair raising sensation!

Stainless is not a particularly good conductor, so I am somewhat concerned about it's efficiency as a ground plane against the Hustler whip. Sounds like you came up with a good solution, I'll have to figure something out like that. Thanks!

mike K0MF
mferguson

City: Glenwood Springs
State/Province: CO
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Apres Ski

Postby Paul Elliott on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:39 am

Stainless isn't a perfect conductor, but a large-diameter SS tube such as a cockpit rail has got plenty of surface area and may very well be adequate. Try the rail -- you may not need to run additional grounding.
Paul Elliott

City: Friday Harbor
State/Province: WA

Return to Chat