Uber-Newbie here

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Re: Uber-Newbie here

Postby BradOwens on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:14 pm

Scross said "It’s about $400/month for us for everything to keep the boat going. That works out to about $160/night of use. Let me know if you find a RT charter for $160/night!"

That doesn't include the purchase price of the boat in the $160/night costs. Once you add that in, chartering makes a lot of sense.
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Non-Ranger Model: 1979 Folbot Kit Built Kayak
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby sjreib on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Check out my 2016 lightly used Cutwater 28 for sale thru Bellingham Yachts. Moving up to Cutwater 30. My 28 is in great shape and has been trouble free. Same quality as Ranger Tugs, but different style and faster. 20+ knots; no problem

sjreib
sjreib

City: Edmonds
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Gabbiano
MMSI Number: 338212304

Postby scross on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:35 pm

Brad, of course you are correct about the amount of capital tied up in a boat and trailer with ownership. Not counting opportunity costs from having that capital locked up in a boat, the additional cost of ownership is depreciation and selling costs. Adding the first three years of depreciation since our purchase into the equation I think we are under $240/night of total cost for usage.
Sending this from Secret Cove, BC on our way to PLI on our 16 night early summer cruise. It’s our schedule and our boat is set up exactly the way we want it set up. Don’t always get that when chartering...
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Postby baz on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:42 pm

I'll chip in here with my realistic annual costs for my R-27-OB that is moored at the Port Of Edmonds in salt water and in a covered 30-foot slip.

1) Covered Moorage (split between my son and I): $3,120 + $3,120 (includes all taxes, elect use, environ fee, etc). Marina offers a free parking permit and free coffee and as much as you can drink.... :lol:
2) Yearly scheduled September Engine maintenance for my F300 and 9.9HP kicker which includes hauling boat out/back and being towed to Jacobsen's Marine shop some 1000 feet away from marina: $650
3) Insurance with American Modern: $650
4) Diver service for inspecting underwater zincs and hull condition and general cleaning: $450 (photos always taken and included in the Emailed invoice, and this cost can vary from $250 to $450)
5) Fuel cost: Varies quite a bit each year, but I estimate it is between $1500 and $6000 for gasoline at $4/gallon. Many times my passengers will chip in to help with fuel costs.... Niceee and welcomed. :D I tend to move/cruise at 30 mph if I can so this runs the boat at around 15 gallons per hour.
6) Bottom paint every 3 to 4 years: $2000. Say $500/year.
7) Misc: $100/month (estimated)
8) WA annual registration: $500 which deceases each year.

Thus for me (with son's help with moorage cost) it's some $7,000 per year with light boat use and $1500 in fuel cost, and with constant use and $6000 in fuel cost it comes to $11,320 per year ... or on low end $583/month and on high end $943/month. This cost is reduced depending on who's using the boat (see below as family members use the boat at times).

As an aside, my son was insisting I keep the boat in the water and nearby as he kept saying if on trailer the boat simply will not get used frequently. I was humming and harring for a while and in the end son said he would pay 1/2 the moorage cost.... that convinced me and I stopped humming. :lol:

Also, I have two of my three grown children living within 2 miles of me in Edmonds. My son and my eldest daughter know how to operate the boat and have my permission to use the boat at any time they wish. When they do they pay for its use (fuel and marina docking costs etc). The agreement is when boat returned they top up the fuel tank and fresh water tank and pump out. Thus the boat is always ready to go. The 5 grandkids love to go out on the boat and we crab and fish when we can. The grandkid's experience is an invaluable/Intangible cost along with the great times we have as a family all together on the boat. My third grown daughter lives some 900 miles away and when she visits we always take the boat out for cruising and one of her favorite spots are the San Juan Islands and Gulf Islands up in Canadian waters. In addition, she loves to sleep on the boat (condo on the water she calls it) for several nights when visiting; she loves the fact it's 'quiet time' for herself.

Sometimes we ferry people across from Edmonds to Kingston, Clinton, Poulsbo, Blake Island, Tacoma areas and at times to Port Townsend areas, Friday Harbor and Roche Harbor, and will at times offer to return them back to Edmonds.

All of these extra experiences carry an intangible and invaluable cost savings IMO, and serve as life-time experiences/memories.
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 Outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby mpstan on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:20 pm

sjreib wrote:Check out my 2016 lightly used Cutwater 28 for sale thru Bellingham Yachts. Moving up to Cutwater 30. My 28 is in great shape and has been trouble free. Same quality as Ranger Tugs, but different style and faster. 20+ knots; no problem

sjreib

That's the KayLee? Pretty much what I'll be wanting but not in our budget right now. I do love her looks. I might have been up close to her if she was on trailer a couple weeks ago.

Good luck finding a home for her
mpstan

City: Lynden

Postby mpstan on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:22 pm

In terms of working folks like me that have a tough time justifying the expense for the time they have, how have you guys found co-ownerships to work out? I'd be happy to own just a half, or even a third of one of these nice boats. If they are being offered out there, I don't see where.........

thx
mpstan

City: Lynden

Postby scross on Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:13 pm

Our boat was a partnership between two Canadians that was in trouble after six months when one partner was job transferred from Vancouver to Kamloops.
Never had a boat partnership but had three airplane partnerships. One guy always left the plane dirty and out of gas. When you wanted to fly you had to spend an extra hour getting the airplane ready if he had used it last. Also, he was slow to make contributions to expenses so we had to do a lot of short term covering $s for him.
With the right partners, I think sharing a boat would be a great cost reduction strategy. Not sure why there aren’t more boat syndicates that own 4-5 similar boats with, say, 20 members. A lot more work in managing scheduling, maintenance, money and other things but a lot cheaper for each member!
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Postby ixlr8 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:11 pm

Cutwater28GG wrote:just for reference here's a rough breakdown of my maintenance costs on a cutwater 28

Moorage $3500-6000
engine $1000-1500
general replacements/new purchases $1200
insurance $800
fuel about $2000
Bottom paint per year (/3) $700
Zincs $300

About $12.5K a year.

others should chime in with theirs or if I have missed something!

Your moorage fees, is that a slip at a marina or a mooring at a marina?
Our local marina is $1200 for a mooring and $2300 for a slip. These are April-November rates, as docks are pulled due to ice in the winter months.

For our RT 27OB;
Yearly engine maint- $180- I change the oil and filters myself. Every 5 years there will be a major service at about $600.
Insurance- $800
Trailer- $8500- one time fee, we the park boat in our yard. Free launch ramp is 2.6 miles away.
Zincs- $30 we trailer the boat and zincs don't erode much.
Bottom paint- $20 since we trailer the boat we don't paint the bottom but we do clean and wax it.
Fuel- $600
General replacements/new stuff- we have budgeted $1000 for this year.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby Cutwater28GG on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 am

thats the price for the most expensive marina in Seattle - Elliot Bay Marina. Thankfully Im only there for about 5 months a year. it works out with all the taxes to about $500 a month for the slip. the 15 minute drive to my house and great facilities make it worth while.

I can halve my rate if I get further from Seattle but I would use the boat less.
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby baz on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:34 am

Cutwater28GG: Is that a covered slip or not ?

In Edmonds you will pay $510/month for a covered 30-foot slip.
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 Outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby Bruce Moore on Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:21 pm

baz wrote:Cutwater28GG: Is that a covered slip or not ?

In Edmonds you will pay $510/month for a covered 30-foot slip.

There are no covered slips at Elliott Bay Marina.
Bruce and Vicki
R31 Sedan - MoonShadow
Seattle, WA
Bruce Moore

City: Seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Non-Ranger Model: SSBN 658 Mariano G. Vallejo
Vessel Name: MoonShadow (2014)
MMSI Number: 367598350

Postby Cutwater28GG on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:26 pm