More observations - R23

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

More observations - R23

Postby Salish Seaker on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:05 am

We've been using the boat fairly regularly, mostly for day trips since I started a new job that has severely restricted my ability to take week long boat trips I had grown accustomed to. :cry:

I've noticed a couple of things that have surprised me and wondered if other R23 owners have experienced the same thing.

We noticed that the boat is very susceptible to weight distribution. I realize that trim tabs can correct lateral trim but I was really surprised how little it took to be out of balance. I figured this was due to the deep-v hull rather than the flat bottom hull I was used to. More surprising was what happened this weekend. We took my family out on our normal 1 hour day trip cruise to Poulsbo. There were 7 adults on the boat all fairly small, between 130-180 lbs that I estimated totaled about 1050 lbs. With 3 people in the cockpit, the boat could not get up on plane! We had to distribute most of the weight towards the bow of the boat and then Island Time was able to plane at the normal speeds. I was very surprised that the Yamaha 200hp could not dig itself out of the hole. Plus I noticed on other trips, the motor would lug when trying to climb on the back of waves in following seas with only 2 people in the boat. Very surprising! This motor usually wants to go one speed, FAST! I guess I'll have to test the RPMs @ WOT to see if it's propped correctly. Of course I don't anticipate having that many people on the boat in the future, it was just the first time on the boat for the family from California. We will definitely limit the max amount of passengers in the future. Have any R23 owners with the Yami 200 changed out the original factory ss prop to a lower pitched prop?

Another phenomenon I've discovered is the inability of the boat (or the captain's inability) to get the stern to continue turning while executing the "back and fill" manuever in a tight fairway. I have to turn the boat 180 degrees to port in a small area when returning to the dry stack pick up area. I was very surprised when trying this manuever that I can't seem to turn the boat in reverse even with the wheel turned full right, the stern only goes straight back rather than continuing to float the stern to the right, causing some quick adjustments and a lot of stress using the bow thruster and forward full left. I had mastered this manuever in our very nimble, flat-bottomed C-Dory, practically turning the boat on a dime. I know, practice, practice, practice but even when trying this in open water, the stern still doesn't seem to continue the turn. Is this the way heavier deep-v hulls normally behave? Any pointers?

Peter
Peter & Caryn
Looking forward to cruising the Salish Sea!
Salish Seaker

City: Seattle
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Island Time

Re: More observations - R23

Postby Brunski on Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:50 am

Hi Peter,

I can't speak to performance issues, but did you have the outboard trimmed all the way up when maneuvering? I have read that backing is much more effective that way, as the propeller thrust will be going under the boat rather than against the stern. Seems to work with my KW.

That said, the hull shape will definitely affect your ability to turn on a dime.

Bruno
Brunski

City: Canton
State/Province: MA
Non-Ranger Model: Key West 239fs
Vessel Name: The Office

Postby tootsuite on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:32 am

Hi Peter,

Yes, I also notice how sensitive the boat is to weight distribution. I attribute it to the fact that it's not a big boat, fairly light, and probably higher center of gravity because of the substantial cabin top along with the V shaped hull. With just our family of 2 adults, 2 kids it's not really an issue. Just when we have guests on and everyone wants to sit on the stern benches.

I also have a tight starboard turn to get into my dock and cannot do it without the bow thruster yet. The boat is still relatively new to me so I'm still experimenting. I'd like to be able to do it even if my bow thruster fails.

But overall we really enjoy the boat.

Cheers. Tom
Last edited by tootsuite on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tootsuite

City: Barrington
State/Province: RI
Vessel Name: Toot Suite

Postby jagizzi on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:18 am

I have had the same situation with a fully loaded boat. We eventually got on plane but it may have been because my wife noticed and moved forward . She is small and just her weight shift was helpful. I figure it's normal and I certainly don't want to have the boat loaded like that often.

I haven't tried the back and fill on the 23 as I thought that was for boats with a rudder. To spin it is a matter of whipping the steering wheel around stop to stop while working the throttle forward and reverse. It gets easier with practice but a suicide knob is in my future.

Jim
jagizzi

City: Battle Ground
Non-Ranger Model: R-23, July 3rd delivery, yippee
Vessel Name: Next Ten

Postby tootsuite on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Link to back and fill technique with single prop outboard:
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/backfill.htm
tootsuite

City: Barrington
State/Province: RI
Vessel Name: Toot Suite

Postby CobyF on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:13 pm

I have had my R23 for 20 months and have experienced similar situations. As far as weight sensitivity goes, it is a characteristic of the hull design and the fact that the boat is light. A fair trade off for performance. When heavily loaded, I was having trouble getting the boat to plane until I learned to use the trim tabs on the hole shot, then rather quickly trim up to get better forward motion. Another problem I have is that the engine bracket continues to fill with water, adding extra weigh to the stern. The factory has told my dealer that they have added a pump to the newer models, but they will not do anything for the boats in the field (water). Backing is a problem because the engine cannot make a full swing due to transom design. The best I have found has already been stated, use that bow thruster. I have almost 200 hours on my little tug and have been very pleased with it. A few minor problems, but it is a boat!
CobyF

City: Mt. Pleasant
State/Province: SC
Vessel Name: Twin Tigers II
MMSI Number: 338224322

Postby Ernie on Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:12 pm

Yep getting on top with people sitting in the back of the cockpit is tedious and sometimes takes for ever
Last trip out I tried some voodoo on it
Basically turning hard right or left then back at the right time, she will kind of wiggle her way out of the hole and reach the planing speed.
Ernie

Vessel Name: Daisy

Postby baz on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:14 pm

If you can get a burst of speed maybe you could just pop those pesky people over the transom and speed away.... :lol: Yep, weight in the back of the boat is a real fuel burner state of affairs..... just as well it's difficult to place a dinghy back there on the OB models. ;)
Barry, (1st mate Gill passed away Aug 11, 2018) & Jake (Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 Outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby Salish Seaker on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:29 am

Thanks for all the replies guys. Lots of good tips too. It's nice to know that these are common symptoms on these boats. Love the boat! No complaints at all.

Peter
Peter & Caryn
Looking forward to cruising the Salish Sea!
Salish Seaker

Vessel Name: Island Time

Postby Chimo on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:28 am

tootsuite wrote:Link to back and fill technique with single prop outboard:
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/backfill.htm

Over my boating life and several boats I have always found this works perfectly, as long as there is no wind. If there is a breeze you will go where it takes you. ;)
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

City: Sidney
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Chimo
MMSI Number: 316033437

Postby Kevinandcarol on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:23 pm

I had the same issue, I put a whale tail on the 200 and it helps a lot. Let me know if you are interested in seeing a picture. Kevin
Kevinandcarol

City: Snohomish
Non-Ranger Model: Ranger tug R23
Vessel Name: My Way

Postby crowleykirk on Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:27 pm

I think the R23 is a great design, within reason.

Deep V mono hull, narrow beam and underpowered if more than 3 people. It is what it is.

For our needs we love the price but it's just to small for anything to serious. We are saving for the R27 at this point. Wish we could afford an Aspen 32. Someday. We are wanting to spend time in Alaska and just want more boat.

We have some friends with an R23 and they pretty much use as their island taxi and for cruising around the islands in good weather. It's perfect for that, and a blast.
crowleykirk

City: Mammoth Lakes
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Kirk Williams

Postby ixlr8 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:45 pm

Kevinandcarol wrote:I had the same issue, I put a whale tail on the 200 and it helps a lot. Let me know if you are interested in seeing a picture. Kevin

If you get a chance, I would be interested in seeing a picture.

It is my understanding that the R23 is rated up to a 250hp engine, which might help with full loads, not a cheap upgrade though.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby baz on Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Barry, (1st mate Gill passed away Aug 11, 2018) & Jake (Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 Outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby The Doghouse 2 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:08 pm

Barry, is that whale tail hydrofoil stabilizer anything you would consider for your R27-OB Yami 300? What are your thoughts regarding your 27 and the size of your motor? Is the size spot on or would you like to have more power?

Bob

PS: Are we going to see you and your family August 17th in Ganges, BC?
The Doghouse 2

City: Lake Stevens
Non-Ranger Model: 2019 Hunter Green R27-OB w/ Suzuki 300
Vessel Name: The Doghouse 2
MMSI Number: 368050260

Next

Return to Chat