At Long Long Last.........the wait is almost over!

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

At Long Long Last.........the wait is almost over!

Postby PetDrs on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:01 pm

This Sunday my long wait is finally over.

Port Boat House (PBH) is delivering my (new to me) 2014 Hero Red R-21EC .......... and I have a 6 hour delivery orientation with their Captain!! I couldn't be more excited!!

The entire experience with PBH has been fantastic and they have really come through for me. Dave Turner has been on the lookout for just the right R-21EC for me since they stopped production. This one is a beauty that has minimal hours and has been used exclusively in fresh water. It has been beautifully detailed and is ready to hit the water!

I can finally truly join the ranks of my fellow Tugnuts as a bonified Ranger Tug owner!!

:D :D :D

Fair warning to all........ prepare for many new tug owner questions in the months to come!!
PetDrs
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 pm
City: Nanaimo
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC

Re: At Long Long Last.........the wait is almost over!

Postby The Doghouse 2 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:13 pm

Congrats, PetDrs, on your new acquisition! Just in time for the Ranger Tug Rendezvous in September at Roche Harbor. Welcome on board!

Bob & Kim
The Doghouse 2
The Doghouse 2
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 7:15 pm
City: Lake Stevens
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2019 Hunter Green R27-OB w/ Suzuki 300
Vessel Name: The Doghouse 2
MMSI Number: 368050260

Re: At Long Long Last.........the wait is almost over!

Postby ixlr8 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:17 pm

PetDrs wrote:This Sunday my long wait is finally over.

Port Boat House (PBH) is delivering my (new to me) 2014 Hero Red R-21EC .......... and I have a 6 hour delivery orientation with their Captain!! I couldn't be more excited!!

The entire experience with PBH has been fantastic and they have really come through for me. Dave Turner has been on the lookout for just the right R-21EC for me since they stopped production. This one is a beauty that has minimal hours and has been used exclusively in fresh water. It has been beautifully detailed and is ready to hit the water!

I can finally truly join the ranks of my fellow Tugnuts as a bonified Ranger Tug owner!!

Fair warning to all........ prepare for many new tug owner questions in the months to come!!

Congratulations on the 'new' boat.
TugNuts is here to answer your questions... bring them on!!! :)

PS- Pictures or it didn't happen. :D
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 5:58 pm
City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Re: At Long Long Last.........the wait is almost over!

Postby PetDrs on Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:58 am

The Doghouse 2 wrote:Congrats, PetDrs, on your new acquisition! Just in time for the Ranger Tug Rendezvous in September at Roche Harbor. Welcome on board!

Bob & Kim
The Doghouse 2


Thanks!! Not sure I can make it this year but I'll try!
PetDrs
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 pm
City: Nanaimo
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC

Re: At Long Long Last.........the wait is almost over!

Postby PetDrs on Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:59 am

ixlr8 wrote:
PetDrs wrote:This Sunday my long wait is finally over.

Port Boat House (PBH) is delivering my (new to me) 2014 Hero Red R-21EC .......... and I have a 6 hour delivery orientation with their Captain!! I couldn't be more excited!!

The entire experience with PBH has been fantastic and they have really come through for me. Dave Turner has been on the lookout for just the right R-21EC for me since they stopped production. This one is a beauty that has minimal hours and has been used exclusively in fresh water. It has been beautifully detailed and is ready to hit the water!

I can finally truly join the ranks of my fellow Tugnuts as a bonified Ranger Tug owner!!

Fair warning to all........ prepare for many new tug owner questions in the months to come!!

Congratulations on the 'new' boat.
TugNuts is here to answer your questions... bring them on!!! :)

PS- Pictures or it didn't happen. :D


Haha. I'll post some after the delivery!!
PetDrs
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 pm
City: Nanaimo
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC

Re: At Long Long Last.........the wait is almost over!

Postby Capt'nKarl on Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:54 pm

Congratulations! You’re about to enter a world of fun, freedom, curious onlookers and lots of questions. Welcome aboard and let us know how we can help.
Cheers,
Karl
Capt'nKarl
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:23 pm
City: Garcon Point
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: MANEO

Re: At Long Long Last.........the wait is almost over!

Postby SEA3PO on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:19 pm

Makes me smile to see your enthusiasm...I bought my Seahorse tug years before the Rangers were ever introduced...but I remember the thrill of first owning such a neat boat.. it truly is marvelous ... I am now on my third engine and hope this one outlives me...first one I did not like..thought I needed the 30 hp....cracked the block on #2 by not dewinterizing it one winter ( I broke my back and with all the pain meds I did not think of it)...and #3 is a brand new Universal 3 Cylinder 20 hp Kubota diesel...almost back to square one...and still thrilled with the tug...congratulations on your new way of life...smile.

Joel
Seahorse 21
SEA3PO
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:01 pm
City: Chester
State/Province: CA
Non-Ranger Model: Seahorse 21
Vessel Name: Kea

Re: At Long Long Last.........the wait is almost over!

Postby PetDrs on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks Karl and Joel!!

Having a blast just preparing for Sunday's delivery.

Slight change of plan I will have to drive to Port Alberni to get oriented as the Captain who was supposed to deliver my tug suffered a concussion and is laid up for a while. Glad he wasn't injured worse.

Now I will also gain some experience trailering as well for the drive back to Schooner Cove! (Very windy road with some rather significant elevation changes...... :?
PetDrs
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 pm
City: Nanaimo
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC

Re: At Long Long Last.........the wait is almost over!

Postby REO6205 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:51 pm

Congratulations on your 21EC. I bought a 2014, used, from the factory and it's been a great little boat. I've put about 300 hours on it and there haven't been any problems at all. The systems are dead simple and if you're so inclined you can save a lot of money working on it yourself. Oil changes, filters, and the fresh water impeller, are all easy to do.
Yes, it's slow compared to a lot of pleasure boats but you won't be burning through a couple of hundred bucks for fuel every time you take it out either. I use 1 gallon an hour as my trip-planning number and I usually come in under that figure. At six or seven knots you'll have time to admire the scenery. I spent most of my working life at six or seven knots....sometimes less...so the R21 doesn't feel slow to me.
The rudder is oversized for the size of the boat. Between that big rudder and the bow thruster you can make that thing dance.
If you put small items in the storage locker beside the helm seat they tend to work their way in behind the refrigerator and hide.
I had the engine replaced re the Volvo/Penta recall but I don't think it applies to Canadian boats. There wasn't really anything wrong with the old engine but it didn't meet EPA specs so Volvo/Penta replaced it at their cost. I can't tell any difference in the new engine.
REO6205
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:11 pm
City: Fortuna
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Chenier
MMSI Number: 338228251

Re: At Long Long Last.........the wait is almost over!

Postby baz on Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:37 pm

PetDrs:

I piece of advice for you..... and CONGRATS on your new boat. You will not be disappointed. I owned a 2016 R-21EC for close to two years and it is a fun boat to drive about in.

My advice...

The engine has quite a bit of vibration and as such any hose near to the engine components can rub against the engine and over time cause hose failures. Make sure all the hoses are tied so they cannot contact any part of the engine, especial the ones close to the moving belts. See my Photo Album here -> http://www.tugnuts.com/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=42215&g2_GALLERYSID=cc015c3440a1c72f72fb4ea398701c82

Be careful when filling the diesel fuel tank as it can spit back nastily when being overfilled.

If you anticipate extended cruising add an auto pilot as it really does add comfort for you on long hauls.

Good luck.....
Barry, (1st mate Gill passed away Aug 11, 2018) & Jake (Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 S Hero Red to be delivered Mar 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz
 
Posts: 4878
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:28 am
City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 Outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Re: At Long Long Last.........the wait is almost over!

Postby PetDrs on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:12 am

No need for the replacement on the Volvo engines in Canada, so no problem there.

Thanks for the tips on items getting "lost" behind the refrigerator and the vibration issue regarding engine hoses. I was already aware of the diesel fuel filling issue and I'm going to order one of those nifty doohickeys (forget the name at the moment)I saw discussed on another thread.

I truly appreciate any and all advice!

Thanks
PetDrs
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 pm
City: Nanaimo
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC

Re: At Long Long Last.........the wait is almost over!

Postby Sheplj on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:40 am

Congratulations on your new Ranger tug! We are also heading up to Port Alberni next week for our Orientation and our R23 will be delivered to Crofton the following week. Definitely can relate to your excitement as we feel the same. After delivery we will take Bright Side home to Salt Spring Island...and the questions will start!
Sheplj
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 10:09 am
City: Salt Spring Island
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Bright Side

Re: At Long Long Last.........the wait is almost over!

Postby PetDrs on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:26 pm

Sheplj wrote:Congratulations on your new Ranger tug! We are also heading up to Port Alberni next week for our Orientation and our R23 will be delivered to Crofton the following week. Definitely can relate to your excitement as we feel the same. After delivery we will take Bright Side home to Salt Spring Island...and the questions will start!


Congrats on your new 23!! I think I may have seen it sitting beside my 21 when I was up there last week. Beautiful boat!!

Hope to see you out on the Strait one of these days!!

Cheers
PetDrs
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 pm
City: Nanaimo
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC

Re: At Long Long Last.........the wait is almost over!

Postby Sheplj on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Thanks - will keep an eye out for you! What's her name?
Sheplj
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 10:09 am
City: Salt Spring Island
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Bright Side

Re: At Long Long Last.........the wait is almost over!

Postby PetDrs on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:37 pm

Sheplj wrote:Thanks - will keep an eye out for you! What's her name?


Now that is a good question!! lol

Let us just say that it is still before the "Family Naming Committee" .......will update you when we have a decision! :D
PetDrs
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 pm
City: Nanaimo
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC


Return to Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: barbeque2 and 8 guests