New Ranger 25 Owner - Sacramento Delta

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

New Ranger 25 Owner - Sacramento Delta

Postby donbradford on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:53 pm

Greetings fellow Tugnuts,

I'm the new owner of a 2008 Ranger 25 classic starting my exploration of the Sacramento Delta. Will be taking delivery of the Avery out of Isleton next week when she'll become the Delta Rover out of Lodi. I'm new to trawlers and inland water ways after spending 20 years sailing the SF Bay and coast between Santa Cruz and Pillar Point. Has any one else made the transition from coastal wind chaser to inland cruiser and have any advice or recommendations? My first experiences on the Ranger 25 were awesome -- like driving a sports car versus driving a bus (sorry Hunter...)

I'm also considering a stowable bimini -- up when cruising with the wife, down when fishing with my buddies. I've seen some photos online of bimini's the secure to the cabin roof rails and fishing rod holders on the stern and wonder if any one has owned or explored these?

All the best,
Don Bradford
-don
donbradford@outlook.com
Delta Rover
donbradford

City: Lodi
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Delta Rover

Re: New Ranger 25 Owner - Sacramento Delta

Postby TexasEye on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:29 pm

Welcome Aboard,

I have a 2008 RT-25 with Yanmar 110hp. I'm also relatively new to "Pocket Trawlers". Love her so far. Damn she's slow!!! But, she is safe, economical, comfortable and stands out like a Red Head at the Bar...I strongly recommend you master all maneuvers with no thrusters... Haven't had a failure but I have had trashy slips backing in where thruster use may have damaged the impeller or unit. I always assume I can't use thrusters.

I have the folding Bimini, I don't like the looks but the shade is nice, the Bimini up while cruising can and will increase diesel fumes in the cabin, seems to be bernoulli's law can be proven by all aspects of the Ranger Tug Design...

Have fun...
TexasEye

City: Athens
State/Province: AL

Postby NorthernFocus on Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:00 am

We sailed back in the day. Lived aboard a Westsail 32 for seven years. The only thing I miss about it is the lower fuel bill.

If the boat you purchased is fitted with the factory bimini/enclosure it should fold up though not against the back of the cabin. It folds into a free standing position and can be stowed there with either a boot over it or simply secured with bungi chords. We have a boot and stow it in that configuration all summer when not in use. When we fish we simply detach the aft supports and fold it forward without taking it loose from the back of the cabin. When finished fishing it takes a few seconds to re-deploy. Of course in our case the canvas provides protection from the rain rather than the sun :cry:
Dan

Never confuse confidence for competence.
NorthernFocus

City: Wasilla
State/Province: AK
Vessel Name: Divine Focus

Postby TexasEye on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:04 am

Yep, Ours is as you describe. Remove the two struts on the transom, it has an intermediate position and a fully closed position, and yes I have the cover. One of the issues I have with the cover is it does NOT improve the looks of the vessel. It does provide great sun protection and the height is very good. The operation of the Bimini is simple and easy.
TexasEye

Postby TexasEye on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:53 am

One other point, the frame structure design tends to encourage it's use as a handhold and it is NOT structurally sound for that use. All three cockpit access points, Port, Starboard and transom Bimini Structures are routinely used by Crew and PAX as handholds.

A feature which is cool and very useful is the zipper access above the gunwell entrence on both sides of the cockpit, this feature makes safety of boarding, egress and docking easier.
TexasEye

Postby donbradford on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:08 pm

My boat doesn't have a factory bimini so I'm researching after market solutions with seem to vary in price from 2500.00 to 4000.00 My home slip is covered so the boat is only in direct sunlight when I'm cruising or anchored.

Dan, I hear on the fuel bill -- only topped off the hunter once a year.

TexasEye, Thanks for the heads up on the stern thrusters and FOD. My Hunter 410 was a single screw so I'm viewing the thrusters as nice to have -- and something to play around with.

-don
-don
donbradford@outlook.com
Delta Rover
donbradford

City: Lodi
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Delta Rover

Postby TexasEye on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:21 pm

You must be from the Aviation Community!
TexasEye

Return to Chat