Looking to buy a 29 or 27

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Looking to buy a 29 or 27

Postby bigdealsam on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:54 pm

If this is not allowed pls feel free to delete.

I am recently retired and ready to become an official Tugnut. We have attended Trawler Fest in Annapolis and settled on a Ranger Tug 29 or 27. Ideally something 3 to 8 yrs old that would be a great value for a cash buyer with the plan to "learn" on a previously owned model before taking the plunge on a new one. I appreciate the input. Sam
bigdealsam

City: Mooresville
State/Province: NC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Almost Heaven

Re: Looking to buy a 29 or 27

Postby stwendl on Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:02 am

just curious what makes you switch to a R27/9 I think the searay 330 is a nice boat, unless maybe its vintage. and the down size from 330 to a r29 is not that much. Interested in hearing your experiences negative or positive. thanks
Difference between RVers and Boaters:
RVers move until they reach water, Boaters move until they reach land.
Ranger Tug owners can do both :)
stwendl

City: palo alto
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Cataleya

Postby bigdealsam on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:53 pm

Wife and I attended Trawlerfest in Annappolis and were "smitten" with the Ranger Tug line of boats. Now that I have retired we have agreed on the 27 or 29 as our next (and maybe final) boat. Large enough to do the ICW or maybe even the loop but small enough for either of us to use for a short daytrip.

The Searay 330 with twin screws was simply too much boat for us. It was a 2000 model and it just never really fit our lifestyle. Chalk that one up as a learning experience. Bigger is not always better.

We are building our new retirement home At Ocean Isle Beach NC and look forward to putting the new Tug on the boat lift soon.
bigdealsam

Postby Matty on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:34 am

I can see how you would have very different thoughts on these two boats. Biggest lifestyle difference is that with a Ranger Tug the galley is up top rather than down in the cave. This way you are always seeing what is happening and enjoying the view except when sleeping. One caution on the R27 is the changes made to the 2018 model which may make it difficult to appreciate on your purchase of an older one to try it out. . The 300 outboard is a significant change. I happen to love it as it gives you much more speed if you need it and easier to maintain. I have not done it yet but when I have time to do a trip to Bahamas I want to be able to get there in a hurry of storm approaches. I imagine you would get the "luxury" version with a/c. I use it a lot in FL. The outboard also allows for plenty of room for the generator. I happen to like the way they flipped the seats around so that the captain has the double seat. Grand kids love to sit with me so that was a must.

But...some people do like the more classic look and diesel on the older 27s and the 29s. Variety is the spice of life.
Matty

City: New Smyrna Beach
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: IN THE FALL (2018)

Postby BradOwens on Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:16 pm

If you don't plan on trailering a lot, the extra beam on the 29 and 31 does a lot for stability and a feeling of spaciousness. The walk around berth vs V-berth is also a plus in my opinion, but you can't go wrong with any Ranger Tug.
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby bigdealsam on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:31 pm

BradOwens wrote:If you don't plan on trailering a lot, the extra beam on the 29 and 31 does a lot for stability and a feeling of spaciousness. The walk around berth vs V-berth is also a plus in my opinion, but you can't go wrong with any Ranger Tug.

Thanks Brad. As we enjoyed TrawlerFest, we made the same observation. I would prefer a 29 but would certainly consider a 27 for the right deal. I have a Ford F250 Diesel Truck which should be sufficient power to pull (and stop) either boat. We have a cable lift on the ICW at Ocean Isle so most of the time I suspect she will be riding on the bunks.
Thanks for your input.
Sam
bigdealsam

Postby Todd2 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:42 pm

BradOwens wrote:If you don't plan on trailering a lot, the extra beam on the 29 and 31 does a lot for stability and a feeling of spaciousness. The walk around berth vs V-berth is also a plus in my opinion, but you can't go wrong with any Ranger Tug.

I have to second this opinion. It you are going to trailer a lot the R29 requires a wide load permit for (most) every state you enter. Not that big of a deal if you make a trip only twice a year (to Florida and back, seasonally). It's a pain if you cross country often or try to go to some eastern states. For example, Texas sells year long permits for only a couple hundred bucks, but you can't tow on holiday weekends, after dark, and must stop for an inspection at every truck inspection station. I live in Texas, plan to trailer everywhere, so bought the R27. The R29 feels much bigger, I really liked it, but I wouldn't have made it with the R29 on narrow lane construction roads I had to navigate on the way to lakes, twice already.

It's all a compromise. What fits YOUR usage and tolerance level? Get that one.

Todd
Todd2

City: Houston
State/Province: TX

Postby Swansboro Dave on Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:39 am

Get the 41................
Swansboro Dave

City: Swansboro

Postby Swansboro Dave on Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:42 am

If you do opt for the 29.....and need assistance with your lift bunk spacing.....feel free to measure mine. I just up the ICW from you in Swansboro.
Swansboro Dave

City: Swansboro

Postby pricelowe on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:04 pm

I have an 2016 R27 for sale in Nanaimo, BC. Very low engine hours.

I have posted details on this site for private sales.

Chris Price
250-228-1617
pricelowe

City: Nanoose Bay
State/Province: BC
Vessel Name: le Matou
MMSI Number: 316031355

Postby pricelowe on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:13 pm

I have an 2016 R27 for sale in Nanaimo, BC. Very low engine hours.

Chris Price
250-228-1617
pricelowe

City: Nanoose Bay
Vessel Name: le Matou
MMSI Number: 316031355

Postby Irish Mist on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:14 am

For ease of towing I would look at the 27.. We tow usually once a year with our 29 and often think how much easier it would be not getting permits... but living full time in the boat we do appreciate the bed and space on the 29.. Both are great boats.. as mentioned the new 27 is worth a look ..
Great decisions to be having to make :)
Irish Mist

City: victoria

Postby bigdealsam on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:00 am

Swansboro Dave wrote:If you do opt for the 29.....and need assistance with your lift bunk spacing.....feel free to measure mine. I just up the ICW from you in Swansboro.

Thanks Dave. Maybe we can meet up on a Tug cruise someday. I appreciate your help.
Sam
bigdealsam

Postby bigdealsam on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:03 am

pricelowe wrote:I have an 2016 R27 for sale in Nanaimo, BC. Very low engine hours.

Chris Price
250-228-1617

Thanks Chris. I'll take a look. Sam
bigdealsam

Postby Tekreck on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:43 pm

I appear to be going down the same road as you. Retire at end of year from large electric utility - looking for 8+ year old well-loved and equipped R-27 “classic” in 9 months or so - live just down the road in Rock Hill - house at Pawleys Island - want to explore every inch of Florida - Trawlerfest in March. Will be following and learning.

Kevin Wilson
Tekreck

City: Rock Hill
State/Province: SC

Next

Return to Chat