Looking to buy a 29 or 27

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Re: Looking to buy a 29 or 27

Postby bigdealsam on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:09 pm

Tekreck wrote:I appear to be going down the same road as you. Retire at end of year from large electric utility - looking for 8+ year old well-loved and equipped R-27 “classic” in 9 months or so - live just down the road in Rock Hill - house at Pawleys Island - want to explore every inch of Florida - Trawlerfest in March. Will be following and learning.

Kevin Wilson

Thanks Kevin. Wife and I took delivery of our 2012 R-25SC a few days ago. We decided on the R25 because it was
1) A great mid winter value
2) Our cable lift at Lake Norman and the one at Ocean Isle Beach NC would accommodate the weight easily
3) Easily handled by one person.

If you have an interest in a trial run I would be glad to take you and yours for a cruise on Lake Norman or on the ICW.
Sam & Barbara Baker
bigdealsam

City: Mooresville
State/Province: NC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Almost Heaven

Postby Rwnorton on Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:35 am

And I have a nice 2016 RT27 available in Charleston. See details in the RT For Sale Forum please.
Rwnorton

City: Charleston
State/Province: SC
Non-Ranger Model: Former R-27 owner

Postby H28 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:00 pm

we went from a 25 to a 29, and the extra beam is really appreciated. To each his own, but that extra beam makes for a noticeably more stable vessel. I'm not towing it, so the smaller beam certainly eases the towing issues. It is all up to your mission profile I guess. We are on Lake Michigan and wouldn't go back to the smaller beam....
H28

City: oak brook
State/Province: IL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: Hygge

Postby tugnnaweigh on Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:20 pm

Also moved up from a R25 to R29, really really enjoying the increased interior space in both cabin and cockpit. Already had the tow vehicle (F-450 4X4) and three axle trailer so the swap was easy. If we towed more than 4 or 5 western states would of taken more of a look at the R27 because of permitting.
tugnnaweigh

City: San Luis Obispo
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Slippn Inn

Postby Jfrano on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:48 am

Will the foward berth of the 2018-19 R27 be comfortable enough for a couple, I’m 6’4”. We plan to do the loop 2-3 months at a time.

Thanks.
Jfrano

City: Butler
State/Province: NJ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB

Postby BradOwens on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:58 pm

I'm also 6'4" +, and my wife and I find the island berth in our R29 as comfortable as our bed at home. My previous boat had a v-berth, and it wasn't anywhere near as comfortable.
The extra beam of the R29 also makes for a roomier interior, and a more stable boat at anchor. If you plan on towing, the R29 needs permits, but I understand it's not that big of a deal to get them. That still may be a consideration though.
Either boat will be great, it just depends on what works best for each owner.
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby bigdealsam on Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:33 pm

Tekreck wrote:I appear to be going down the same road as you. Retire at end of year from large electric utility - looking for 8+ year old well-loved and equipped R-27 “classic” in 9 months or so - live just down the road in Rock Hill - house at Pawleys Island - want to explore every inch of Florida - Trawlerfest in March. Will be following and learning.

Kevin Wilson

Hi Kevin. I bought a 2012 R25 from a guy in MS a couple of months ago. Boat is now on Lake Norman but I hope to take it to our soon to be built retirement home at Ocean Isle Beach, NC> Love to have you and yours come up to LKN for a fun day of cruising. I'm still learning but so far so good.

Sam Baker
bigdealsam

City: Mooresville
State/Province: NC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Almost Heaven

Postby torangefree on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:17 pm

2011 r29 owner

I’m 6’9” tall, and pretty beamy at 300 lbs, and the R29 was the only boat I can be comfortable on. The real bed versus a berth is well worth every penny, and not having to step down into the cabin from the cockpit on the older oness. It makes the boating experience so much better. If you are a bigger guy the extra beam is well worth it. The 27 felt very claustrophobic to me, but I’m a whole size up from you. Getting in and out of the cockpit on one level, with the extra beam, is what makes the boat so much better than the 27, for me that is. Smaller folks are fine I’m sure.

On the newer boats that feature where the window flips up to make extra seating is the perfect place for you to crack your head, but I believe you don’t have to step down.

Just my two cents. Love our ranger tugs, and it is really the only boat that works for me that is under 45 feet. The Bimini can be higher, than the solid roof of the 31, so the cockpit is just high enough. I only crack my head once in a while. Maybe another day when I have a million dollars burning a hole in my pocket! :)

I know you are probably not a mutant like me, but the extra room, level in and out, real bed to sleep on make me pick the 29’ ranger tugs all day long.
torangefree

City: West Vancouver
State/Province: BC
Vessel Name: Next Adventure

Postby Fishhaggis on Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:10 pm

This site is great. I am enjoying these conversations a lot. Hoping to buy in a year or two when I retire. Big guy so appreciate the advice on this post. Now I need to do a walk through of a 29, as I think that may be the one, no trailer, Vancouver area.
Fishhaggis

City: Yellowknife
State/Province: NT
Non-Ranger Model: Thunder Jet
Vessel Name: Phoebe

Postby yogolferjim on Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:56 pm

I have a 2019 Ranger 27 with the 300 hp out board and a 9.9 kicker and I really like having the 300 hp behind me I can cruise at 40 MPH if I want but my fun zone is 25 mph.

Jim
yogolferjim

City: Gig Harbor
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: Ranger 27 northwest edition
Vessel Name: R & R

Previous

Return to Chat