New boat design

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

New boat design

Postby lornec on Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:00 am

Unusual boat the "Seapiper" , 35 ft. Long 8'6" wide and trailer able . Not sure I'd want one but an interesting design.
lornec

City: EUSTIS
State/Province: FL
Non-Ranger Model: 20 ' pontoon boat
Vessel Name: stress relief

Re: New boat design

Postby BB marine on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:55 am

Really nice design. I have looked at SeaPiper for a year. They are a small manufacturer, build one boat at a time, semi-Custom. SeaPiper has an old school Diesel power plant 85 hp with a 1900 mile range, @ 7kt 270 gallon fuel tank,140 gal. water, 8.6 beam so still trailerable. 17000lbs displacement , Ballast in the keel, PNW crabbing trawler design. Designed for self sufficient long range cruising. Also has a optional Sea Keeper. Built in California Semi-custom build. 35' diesel trawler in the 200K range.

Grand Harbor Trawlers now has a nicely designed 35' trailerable trawler. This is a great live aboard, Full size freezer/Refrigerator, twin 60hp outboards, Capable planing @18kt, 600 mile cruise range, Full size walk in shower, washer/drier, forward stateroom, incredibly light Dry, weight 6500 lbs. It has the famous Grand Harbor un-sinkable hull with off shore capabilities.

The 23' to 29' range Ranger /Cutwater has a strong market if trailering is the objective. Rosborough, C-Dory, Nordic 26, Jeanneau I consider the competitors and all good comparisons. When searching above the 30' range with objective of trailering the Ranger/Cutwater was the Market. Now there are two other manufactures introducing product in this market. Grand Harbor is a well proven manufacturer. SeaPiper is new to the Market but one to consider. Owning a Cutwater, I'm happy with the design and amenities that the boat offers, but when the 2' bigger boat syndrome kicks in. I like doing my home work. Never ruling out a Ranger or Cutwater.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby BradOwens on Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:36 am

The Seapiper is interesting. Living in the rainy Pacific Northwest however, the need to go outside to get from the main cabin to the forward stateroom is a no go.

The Great Harbour TT-35 is also interesting. I've been on a couple of other boats they build and they looked like good liveaboards.
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby baz on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:03 pm

I liked it.... very slick and I like the layout.... the center cockpit area is innovative and Captain can get outside quickly if required. Like all boats, it needs a close look to get a real sense for how it works for yourself.

The helm being so far back makes me think forward visibility might be compromised.
Barry, (1st mate Gill passed away Aug 11, 2018) & Jake (Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 S Hero Red to be delivered Mar 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 Outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby SlackwaterJack on Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:59 pm

reminds me a lot of the Fisher 25 "crabber".... always wanted one.
SlackwaterJack

City: Lewiston
State/Province: ID
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21
Vessel Name: Slackwater Jack (2005)

Postby stwendl on Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Seapiper has a claim to empty cockpit in x amount of time if it was filled with water to the rim

Wondering what the ranger numbers would be :)
Difference between RVers and Boaters:
RVers move until they reach water, Boaters move until they reach land.
Ranger Tug owners can do both :)
stwendl

City: palo alto
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Cataleya

Postby YukonRon on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:11 pm

stwendl wrote:Seapiper has a claim to empty cockpit in x amount of time if it was filled with water to the rim

I'd hate to find out. I'm afraid my engine compartment, batteries, inverter, etc, would all be pretty wet by the time all that water made its way out of the scuppers. :cry:
I'd like to find a way to seal the hatches better. Anyone know of better seals and compression latches that can be used to make the hatches (more) waterproof?
Ron & Barb
Whitehorse, Yukon
Yukon Ranger
2013 R25sc
YukonRon

City: Whitehorse
State/Province: YT
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Yukon Ranger
MMSI Number: 316023451

Postby baz on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Maybe a full cockpit enclosure might help keep the vast amount of water from the cockpit area.... just saying. :)

I've had R-25 Classic and R-21EC both with full cockpit enclosures and at times have been close to being underwater heading into large waves and negotiating the backsides of the big waves. The enclosures did a pretty good job of keeping the water out of the cockpit area.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby BB marine on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:27 am

stwendl wrote:Seapiper has a claim to empty cockpit in x amount of time if it was filled with water to the rim

I think a heavy wash into the cockpit would create a mess in the storage and engine compartment. A good self-bailing cockpit should have 2 large deck drains located in the aft corners discharging just below deck level (port & starboard) of the cockpit along with the trough drains protecting hatch areas. The trough drains installed have a large enough capacity, if the purpose was to do just that,( drain the trough and protect an over flow into the compartments below). But not enough to maintain good drainage of the cockpit in an event. Barry's correct the enclosure will help. The only draw back to running with an enclosure set-up is this may limit ventilation to the compartments. The battery compartments, storage compartments, engine compartments, get all the air from the cockpit. There is no form of ventilation from outside the boat. Enclosure set-up can increase the chances of Vapors, gases, odors along with heat generated from the engine to migrate into living spaces. Both of the issues, self-bailing and ventilation are addressed in the build of the SeaPiper. I also like the simplicity of the power plant Beta 85 is made by Kubota, 203 cubic inch, cast iron block, 85hp, displacement to horse power ratio 2.3 to 1. No electronics, just Starter/alternator/ electronic fuel shut off. Simple! Unbelievable cruise range for a trailerable trawler. As we all know owning a Ranger Tug or a Cutwater, these boats are head turners. Any harbor any destination place we arrive at, boaters comment on the boat. Complimenting design and appearance. I think the SeaPiper would give the same results. I like the look ,like the design, it would be interesting to see the build.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby baz on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:57 pm

A full enclosure is not airtight.

The full enclosure's flap panel that covers the transom door can be left open that will provide plenty of ventilation and being on the aft surface would not allow much water if any into the cockpit when the boat becomes awash.

The SeaPiper's center cockpit is very prone to being filled quickly with water when it digs into oncoming waves and thus it's obviously essential to have large scuppers to get the water out quickly. Also I would hope the sliding doors in the facing fwd pilot house and the sliding door to the fwd V-berth area are both made very water proof to stop water from leaking through to those two areas.

The helm has no sliding window to starboard which I think is a design mistake.

I do like the engine access.

I do like the center cockpit's side doors and transom swing doors.... very nice design.

Splitting the pilot house from the fwd V-berth area will make both feel smaller compared to them being adjoined.

Placing or erecting some form of enclosure for the center cockpit will be quite a challenge IMO.... and any attempt to enclose it will hamper the Captain's fwd views.

Personally, I do not like the 'shiny' wood work that is employed on this boat.... it makes the wood look being plastic. :(

The starting price of $169,000 is attractive and with some extra $20,000 for options such as the Electronic package, Forced air heating and commissioning gear makes for an excellent price point.

My only disappointment is the needed 6-7 kts for efficient fuel burn and a top speed of 10 kts.... but for people not interested in speed this is probably OK.

The twin fuel tanks is nice and the optional SeaKeeper 2 Stabilizer might appeal to some but is quite spendy at $23,500.

The boat is also very heavy at around 18,000 lbs. A good sized trailer will be required for sure as well as a good hefty mule to tow it.

No matter, it's a boat worth considering and reviewing.
Last edited by baz on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Scottfree on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:04 pm

The Seapiper inspires me to share a discussion I had with an old Salt friend of mine that has sailed his whole life. I have a Classic R29 with a Yanmar 260. The physics of pushing a boat beyond its hull speed push me to another argument of testosterone vs money of which there is no rational answer. So to my point, my friend who sailed for years going nowhere at great expense suggests the perfect boat can maintain hull speed at maximum economy. The Seapiper and the Grand Haven along with many other ships much greater in size than my R29 do this with better economy than I get. While complaining about my fuel economy and the price of the whiskey we were sharing he flat out said "just make your boat longer".
I was struck with his suggestion. The math implies an increased hull speed. I have four time times the power I need. The tag in the door of my truck says I can tow double my current boat weight. AND I own a Sawsall!
I know the Tugnuts has an incredible wealth of experts so I suggest a new boat design. The Ranger is a wonderful boat but as with anything personalisation is always an option.
Could I extend my R29 by 10 feet. I think the boat could be cut in half just ahead of the aft bulkhead, just ahead of the engine. That would leave the engine bay in tack, fuel, water and all the controls would be forward. Obviously lines and wires would require extending. I'll have to watch some You Tube videos on fibre glassing!

My questions are: Would it increase my fuel economy? Would it be stable in heavy seas? Why can't I trailer it? Could I put a Hot Tub in the added space? (kidding).

I have seen many boats that have done this and if you think about it Ranger has done exactly this in 2 foot increments. I would encourage your comments. I know there are many people out there with the knowledge, skill and experience to debate this.

Cheers, Leon
Leon & Karen
Scottfree R29 Classic
Scottfree

City: West Kelowna BC
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Scottfree

Postby TexasEye on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:02 pm

It has six scuppers on each side and a sea door, if that won't drain the cockpit nothing will.
TexasEye

City: Athens
State/Province: AL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic

Postby knotflying on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:19 am

Scottfree wrote:The Seapiper inspires me to share a discussion I had with an old Salt friend of mine that has sailed his whole life. I have a Classic R29 with a Yanmar 260. The physics of pushing a boat beyond its hull speed push me to another argument of testosterone vs money of which there is no rational answer. So to my point, my friend who sailed for years going nowhere at great expense suggests the perfect boat can maintain hull speed at maximum economy. The Seapiper and the Grand Haven along with many other ships much greater in size than my R29 do this with better economy than I get. While complaining about my fuel economy and the price of the whiskey we were sharing he flat out said "just make your boat longer".
I was struck with his suggestion. The math implies an increased hull speed. I have four time times the power I need. The tag in the door of my truck says I can tow double my current boat weight. AND I own a Sawsall!
I know the Tugnuts has an incredible wealth of experts so I suggest a new boat design. The Ranger is a wonderful boat but as with anything personalisation is always an option.
Could I extend my R29 by 10 feet. I think the boat could be cut in half just ahead of the aft bulkhead, just ahead of the engine. That would leave the engine bay in tack, fuel, water and all the controls would be forward. Obviously lines and wires would require extending. I'll have to watch some You Tube videos on fibre glassing!

My questions are: Would it increase my fuel economy? Would it be stable in heavy seas? Why can't I trailer it? Could I put a Hot Tub in the added space? (kidding).

I have seen many boats that have done this and if you think about it Ranger has done exactly this in 2 foot increments. I would encourage your comments. I know there are many people out there with the knowledge, skill and experience to debate this.

Cheers, Leon

Let us know how it works out for you. :lol:
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby bob daily on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:38 am

Hull Extensions ! Check out Platypus Marine, they have a video on then stretching a Delta 48 seiner the FV Freedom, don't want to know how much the cost was!
bob daily

City: Kennewick
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Scuttlebutt

Postby baz on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:43 am

BB marine wrote:Really nice design. I have looked at SeaPiper for a year. They are a small manufacturer, build one boat at a time, semi-Custom. SeaPiper has an old school Diesel power plant 85 hp with a 1900 mile range, @ 7kt 270 gallon fuel tank,140 gal. water, 8.6 beam so still trailerable. 17000lbs displacement , Ballast in the keel, PNW crabbing trawler design. Designed for self sufficient long range cruising. Also has a optional Sea Keeper. Built in California Semi-custom build. 35' diesel trawler in the 200K range.

...snip...

I enquired about where the SeaPiper is built with the intention of knowing if it was possible to tour its build factory, and was told it's built in China.... just a plane ride away, right ? ;)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Next