Just got my first boat, 2013 R29, looking to talk about it

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Just got my first boat, 2013 R29, looking to talk about it

Postby vt97john on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:54 am

Hello TugNuts,

I'm the happy and proud owner of a 2013 Ranger Tug 29'. Just got it last Monday. Will be based out of central Chesapeake Bay (Deale / Tracey's Landing).

Is there anyone out there who has a similar model / year who would be willing to shoot me an email address to correspond on some basic intro level questions on the boat? It would be most appreciated.

Also, if any other Tug Nuts hail from the same part of the world as me, it would be good to meet you all.

Thanks.
Last edited by vt97john on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
vt97john

City: Arlington
State/Province: VA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: TBD

Re: Just got my first boat, 2013 R29, looking to talk about it

Postby Irish Mist on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:26 am

Congratulations..
You will get a lot of help and insight here. Lots of like minded people ( not sure if thats good or not :) ) Use it lots
Irish Mist

City: victoria
State/Province: BC

Postby BradOwens on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:45 am

Welcome aboard! We have a 2012 R29 based out of Anacortes, Washington. I would be happy to answer any questions. My email address is BradOwens@juno.com or you can send messages on this site.
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby tugnnaweigh on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:18 pm

On the west coast, I have a new to me 2012 R29 I trailer, moved up from the R25 and have been boating for 50 or so years, happy to help.

I do tend to go on and on and on though. r_orcutt@hotmail.com rich
tugnnaweigh

City: San Luis Obispo
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Slippn Inn

Postby dwwdfw on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:13 pm

Welcome. We have a 2017 29S that we keep in Eastport (Annapolis)
dwwdfw

City: Annapolis
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: Dis and Dat III

Postby Thorolson on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:38 am

WELCOME!

New to me too. 2012 R29.

A request we post publicly so we can all learn.

Looking forward to it!
Tom Olszowy

Gemini Gypsy
2012 R29 Classic
Thorolson

City: Orchard Park
State/Province: NY

Postby Jim and Jackie on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:02 am

We have a 2010 R29 we bought two years ago. Keep the boat in Kent Narrows just up the road from you. We have done a few things to get it the way we want it. BTW there is a good group of tug owners on the Bay.

Jim Demerest
2010 R29 Chessie
Jim and Jackie

City: Pasadena
Vessel Name: Chessie

Postby vt97john on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:15 am

Can I run the heat (forced air I assume) while on dry dock with shore power? If so, could you let me know the steps to do that? I'm totally new to boating and the Ranger Tugs so I'd need details like which batter switches are on, what exactly the main electrical panel should look like etc...
vt97john

Postby trailertrawlerkismet on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:31 am

I agree with Tom O about posting questions, unless of a personal nature, on the forum rather then by email..... so others can learn along the way. To answer Johns question about running the AC when the boat is out of the water....because the units require water to circulate from the sea strainer, thru the system and then discharging of the water running the AC out of the water would not be practical without rigging up a water source, suction device and draining for the discharged water. If one wants AC on the hard it would be a lot easier to buy a portable electric AC unit for the times you require cool air or heat.

Jim
Jim & Lisa FavorsR29S Kismet
info@trailertrawlerlife.com
http://www.trailertrawlerlife.com
http://favorsgreatloopblog.com
http://boatus.com/cruising/kismet/log.asp
trailertrawlerkismet

City: Traverse City
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: (2018) Kismet

Postby vt97john on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:36 am

I like posting questions here rather than direct email. The only issue is that I don't see any way to attach a picture. I see a way to link to a picture. Any advice on this?
vt97john

Postby vt97john on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:07 am

Someone mentioned to me that the forced air heat doesn't provide enough warmth and that I may need to invest in a little plug-in cabin heater. He said the aux heat while underway works well, but the forced air (AC system) that I'll be using at the dock or at anchor doesn't producer enough heat. Any thoughts on this?
vt97john

Postby Scottfree on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:43 am

I have two reverse cycle AC/Heaters and rarely use them. We ran AC on the Mississippi while underway and at anchor on the Loop but had to run the generator to power them. Both are noisy. While at the dock or on the hard I use small electric heaters. I also installed a Wallas Diesel forced air heater. I can use the Wallas anytime as its 12 volt. I even used it while on the trailer in a Walmart parking lot. Its whisper quiet but was pricey. I did the install myself.

As I write this I am using both an electric heater and the Wallas. It's 6 C and a 8 MPH wind, overcast and raining! Beautiful PNW boating weather!

Cheers, Leon
Leon & Karen
Scottfree R29 Classic
Scottfree

City: West Kelowna BC
State/Province: BC
Vessel Name: Scottfree

Postby Jim and Jackie on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:23 pm

The reverse cycle heater has worked for us. As long as the water temperature is above 40 F, which it is or most of the boating season on the Chesapeake. Have run it both at dock and with the generator at anchor.

Jim Demerest
2010 R29 Chessie
Jim and Jackie

City: Pasadena
Vessel Name: Chessie

Postby Bruce Moore on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:34 pm

vt97john wrote:I like posting questions here rather than direct email. The only issue is that I don't see any way to attach a picture. I see a way to link to a picture. Any advice on this?

Getting a User Photo Album for your Ranger Tug is easy but it requires submitting a request from within the site structure.

1. Sign on to the site. You’re probably signed on if you’re reading this.

2. Select the User Control Panel link from the upper left corner of any page. Note: On the home page, this link is in your user menu in the upper right.

3. Click the Usergroups tab, then select the radio button next to the User Albums group.
Scroll down, choose "Join selected" in the drop-down menu, and click the Submit button.

Once you do this, an email is automatically sent to the administrator (me). That message will trigger my ability to approve your request, and you'll receive an email indicating your membership in the User Albums group has been activated.

I'll watch for the message, and look forward to seeing your pictures.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bruce and Vicki
R-41 Bridge - Hull #4 - Dec-Jan - name TBD
Seattle, WA
Bruce Moore

City: Seattle
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Non-Ranger Model: SSBN 658 Mariano G. Vallejo
Vessel Name: MoonShadow (2014)
MMSI Number: 367598350

Postby tugnnaweigh on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:58 pm

Happiness in the boating experience is a precious thing and must be guarded carefully; here you’ve bought your first boat and are over the moon and so was I in that same circumstance many many years ago.

But now, like me back then, you’re going to start the thing, you’re going to operate it, move it, show it to your friends, expect things of it; frankly you’re going to go Boating and so it’s liable to be all downhill from here if you’re not careful.

Now, on your Boating Journey there’s many many ways to learn things, one best way is using the search feature on the ‘Nuts to gain you the insight folks have received from experience which is also known as “the hard way” and reading regarding learning things “the hard way” is as close as you ever want to get to actually learning “the hard way.”

Besides having an untroubled journey from A to B which is what Boating should be, you’re facing two things, maintenance and repairs, also known as breakdowns.

Doing your own maintenance can, in theory, save you enough money to cover all the other costs of operation and is the fantasy I live.

I’m not talking ownership here, that’s the loan and insurance, but slip fees, fuel costs, the jaunty cap, the increase in alcohol consumption by yourself and of course the unwanted relatives and guests who regularly turn up uninvited to drink you dry can likely be covered.

You have made the exact correct first move into Boating by purchasing a Ranger Tug. Soon you’ll get to know Other Owners, Parts Richard, The Keeper of All Knowledge, Andrew and many many others all with a positive attitude and quick reply. You’ll also become aware of the depth of water Ranger Tugs draws in the boating industry which is really nice.
tugnnaweigh

City: San Luis Obispo
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Slippn Inn

Next

Return to Chat