Just got my first boat, 2013 R29, looking to talk about it

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Re: Just got my first boat, 2013 R29, looking to talk about it

Postby JamesTXSD on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:25 pm

You will get plenty of advice and answers to your questions here. I would strongly suggest that you take a Safe Boating Class, either through US Power Squadron or Coast Guard Aux. While not boat specific, it will teach you safe operation, rules of the road, how to use a VHF properly, and many, many other things that will move you quickly and safely up the learning curve.

Congrats on your new boat - you picked a great way to start!
CD-25, Wild Blue
http://captnjim.blogspot.com/
JamesTXSD

City: Port Isabel
State/Province: TX
Non-Ranger Model: C-Dory 25 (sold)
Vessel Name: Wild Blue

Postby Irish Mist on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:23 pm

Just to add. We use our A/C heater for the bedroom all year long in Victoria BC while docked,and it works fine. I have also used it in Ontario in the spring with ice still on the lake and in the fall with ice forming on the lake with no issues. I do also use a small electric to heat the upstairs, and a very small one in the head to keep it toasty.
We use the diesel heater when towing the boat over land and it is by far the best heat source in the boat.
Irish Mist

City: victoria
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic

Postby Baetz on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Congratulations, if you are like us you have a lot of enjoyment in front of you. This is a great form, really struggled with my 2012 R29 until I got plugged in. Many helpful, generous people.
Baetz

City: Barrie
State/Province: ON
Vessel Name: Footloose

Postby vt97john on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just a few more questions for you all.

1.)Is there an easy way to test the float mechanism on the bilge pumps (I assume there is such a thing)? Or could you tell me where the fuse is for those? I can operate the bilge pumps manually with the switches on main electrical panel, but I don't believe auto-bilge is getting triggered when it should.

2.)Should I be able to see water pumping out of the boat from engine cooling system or is it below the water line? I opened the seacock on starboard side of engine compartment before starting engine (only ran it for about 10 seconds) but I did not see water pumping out anywhere around the stern.

3.)What are the two sea-cock looking levers on port side of engine compartment and when should they be open vs closed? I assume one is for seawater flowing into generator and one is a fuel shut off but not sure.
vt97john

City: Arlington
State/Province: VA
Vessel Name: TBD

Postby tugnnaweigh on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Run water down there until it’s submerged, if it doesn't’ come on by then there’s something amiss with the float mechanism, very common. This is an excellent first chore as it demands the downward facing boat owner position you need to become adept at.
The fuse is in an individual wire coming from the battery likely marked aft bilge pump, start at the pump and work backwards to the battery, as the pump runs on manual at least you know it’s operational.
Use a flashlight to see if it’s a seperate float then don’t replace the float, buy a new pump with a built in float, their’e float mechanisms seem less troublesome.
Look for the seacock that feeds a big round thing with a clear top, that’s your engine cooling water intake/strainer and engine cooling water comes out the exhaust in kind of a sloppy, blapy fashion.
The two seacock levers on the port side on my 2012 R29 feed the A/C and something else I don’t know. Also, if you have a generator it’s raw water intake should be a second seacock on the starboard side. I just installed waterflow alarms and larger strainers on all intakes.
My boat has a fuel shut off for the auxiliary fuel tank but it’s in the compartment that’s next to the port side of the engine compartment.
tugnnaweigh

City: San Luis Obispo
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Slippn Inn

Postby Jim and Jackie on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:57 pm

On the port side, the after thru hull is for the air conditioners it provides water to both. The forward is the intake to the generator.

Jim Demerest
2010 R29 Chessie
Jim and Jackie

City: Pasadena
State/Province: MD
Vessel Name: Chessie

Postby vt97john on Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks all. Could you tell me why I have two AC hookups to shore power and why I would ever choose one or the other (or both together)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vt97john

Postby Irish Mist on Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:56 pm

Hi
One receptacle is for the Air-conditioners only the other is everything else.
Irish Mist

Postby tugnnaweigh on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:56 pm

You’re missing a copla bets and here they are: One is the power of the ‘Nuts and the second is the power of Ranger Tugs, so rather than posting questions as you go, learn to use the search function on the ‘Nuts, I’m in my 60s and figured it out so you can too.

As for the power of the ‘Nuts I currently can't get power to my Yanmar display so I put in “No power to Yanmar display” and got 1.2 billion hits as the search brings up every thread ever to use any of the words you put in. So I went back at it by putting in “i5601E” which is the label on the display and got 18 hits the very very first one was my exact problem, no power and about a dozen good folks posted what they did, successfully or unsuccessfully about that exact problem. So I get to go back at it today with renewed hope and vigor both to evaporate by noon I figure.

As for the power of Ranger Tugs: The charger/inverter quit so I looked that up on the ‘Nuts and found out there’s no self repair so I whined to Andrew who told me there’s no self repair and to contact the manufacturer so I did so and they said hold on, we’ll get you our Ranger Tug guy and he said Yeah, send it back and if it’s repairable we’ll do that for free we like Ranger Tugs. Yanmar did the same on free recall parts for me because they like Ranger Tugs. Point is, anywhere you go in the boating industry be sure to lead with “Yeah, I’m working on my Ranger Tug” and watch the doors open because organizations are empowered to help because Ranger Tugs is so well liked and admired.

This journey you’ve begun is challenging and can be difficult and you want to avoid any more difficulty than your going to face anyway. Face the challenges by operating every system on the boat while holding the manual in hand. Wait till dark, grab a flashlight and peer deep deep into every nook and cranny while praying you never never have to go there knowing you surely surely will. Say Hello and See You Soon to the backside of your raw water pump, the engine zincs and belts, the oil filter canister and each and every fuel filter and water strainer and tru hull, etc. they are your new best friends! Begin the challenge of maintenance by doing some secure in the knowledge you’re saving yourself over $100 an hour. Research said maintenance on the ‘Nuts for the tricks and tools that are helpful and the difficulties you’ll face at each task.

You’re currently headed into the bilge as am I to repair the bilge pump. Me, I’m going to replace my remote float pump with a built in float pump and I also bought a spare. And before I install it I'm going to connect a hose to the discharge and gently flow it while estimating if there’s any clogs, the one way valve you see in line tend to do that.

If in Boating you get on board and go from A to B without anything happening well that’s Fun but you never never never get to go from A to B without something happening (eventually something is going to happen while your sitting on the trailer or in the slip) and I believe overcoming that something time and time again is what draws us Boaters to Boating and keeps us Boating,
tugnnaweigh

City: San Luis Obispo
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Slippn Inn

Just got my first boat, 2013 R29, looking to talk about it

Postby vt97john on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:06 pm

Any tricks for making the forced air heating system quieter? The vent in the main cabin is particularly loud. Also, is it normal for that system to take a long time to reach target room temp? It’s 43 degrees outside and I’m still not up to my set temp or 70 degrees after running for four hours (I’m up to 63).

Any recommendations on a replacement microwave? Can it be any microwave as long as it’s the right dimensions or does it need to be a special marine microwave or anything like that?

Do you all get special sheets and blankets for your beds onboard that are fitted to the unusually shapes and sizes or do you just use regular household stuff? Any recommendations on a set?

Does the remote for your onboard stereo have a balance feature? Two of my zones only have sound on one side. The wall unit controls don’t seem to have balance and the previous owner didn’t provide me with a remote. If remote has features that the wall units don’t, then I may try to get a new remote.

Any idea why I get a “no media device connected” when I try to hook up my iPhone 10s to the TV USB port? Maybe newer smart phones aren’t supported. I don’t see a way to upgrade software on the TVs (TVs are Majestic brand)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vt97john

Postby vt97john on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:51 am

Jim and Jackie wrote:On the port side, the after thru hull is for the air conditioners it provides water to both. The forward is the intake to the generator.

Jim Demerest
2010 R29 Chessie

What happens if you run the AC/Heat system without the correct seacock open? I inadvertantly did that for several hours. Does it affect the performance (i.e. would it make the system produce less heat to warm the boat?)?
vt97john

Postby Jim and Jackie on Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:47 pm

It should have overheated. Your thru hulls may be different than on my 2010. Did you check to see if the was a dual stream of water on the port side?

Jim Demerest
2010 R29 Chessue
Jim and Jackie

City: Pasadena
State/Province: MD
Vessel Name: Chessie

Postby vt97john on Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:42 am

Is there an outlet anywhere inside the engine compartment where I can hook up a little heater for winterization? If not, what's the best way to rig something up? I'm planning to use the boat year round (in Chesapeake Bay) but will partially winterize between visits to the boat.
vt97john

Postby Irish Mist on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:08 pm

Hi John
Lots of new things for you to figure out.

I have had my furnace run for a few hours with no water ( didn't prime it'self ) still is fine.. Depending on the temperature out side it sometimes takes a bit, but once warmed up it should hold it fine. It is noisier then a house as everything is so close... Make sure you have water flowing out through the hull when the furnace is on.

We just use queen sheets. They are a tight fit but get the job done.

I do not know of a hand held remote for the fusion stereo but mine is a 2011 so perhaps there is one for yours being newer.. Check the model of the head unit on the Fusion site and see... There will be no balance on it. Check your head unit that all the wires are plugged in all the way in the back. Sounds like there is a speaker wire disconnected.. Use radio mode while checking so you know it is not an input cable. That could be what is causing your one side not to work.

The USB on the TV is pretty basic. It will allow you to view pictures but the iPhone and any videos a stick is not supported. It does output low voltage power for accessories . I have a dual bluetooth output splitter that needs power and I plug it into the USB so it provides power while the TV is on.

I found on my boat there was a wire run from the panel to the rear of the boat by the batteries for power to an optional electric BBQ. I connected an out door GFI receptacle to it and connected the wire in the panel and that provided power in my rear storage.. You could have it in the engine room but I would keep it in the back storage for other uses as well.
Irish Mist

Postby vt97john on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks. I have something strange going on with my electrical system. I've had my charger running off shore power all day and house battery bay is only at 9.5 volts on the volt meter. Is that a sign of unhealthy batteries? I think they are five years old. Also, I can run little stuff like a light or a TV ... but when I try to run too many things or something that draws more power like the forced air heat or the water pressure motor ... it trips either the AC main switch inside my transom cabinet or it trips the switch of the individual appliance (i.e. ac/heat switch).
vt97john

PreviousNext

Return to Chat