Just got my first boat, 2013 R29, looking to talk about it

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Re: Just got my first boat, 2013 R29, looking to talk about it

Postby Irish Mist on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:00 pm

I would check the connections on your batterys first.. If you can move anything with your hand it is not tight enough, if it moves remove clean and re connect.. I still have my original batteries and I have a 2011.. But with the Shore power connected you should show 14 volts.. Check and make sure the charges is working.. If it is the inverter charge there is a reset on top. If you have two cables running to the boat the one is just powering the furnace it should be tripping with other stuff on.. If you are using a splitter and only one cable going to the boat it might. The Charger could be using a lot of power if in fact there is a bad battery and it is just running full on charge. You should be getting more voltage then that showing if the charger is sending power to the battery.. Start with the battery connections make sure all are tight. Also make sure all the battery switches are turned to all.
Irish Mist

City: victoria
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic

Postby fishheadbarandgrill on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Just sent you a PM about your R29.

Bob
Bob Menches
2011 R29
SEA SHANTY
Southport, NC
fishheadbarandgrill

City: Southport
State/Province: NC
Vessel Name: Sea Shanty

Postby vt97john on Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:46 am

Any idea what could make my CO detector in v-birth stop working? The lights don't come on and hitting the test button doesn't do anything. Already tried replacing the battery but that didn't fix it. Does the unit also have a hard wire connection? Does it require any particular switch on main electrical panel to be on?
2013 Ranger Tug R29
vt97john

City: Arlington
State/Province: VA
Vessel Name: TBD

Postby BradOwens on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:21 pm

John,
On my boat, there are two wires in the cabinet behind the CO detector that can be dislodged if you are working in that cabinet. I would check those connections.
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby Bart Keil on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:40 pm

We have a 2011 29S, based in Little Creek, Norfolk. Learned a lot in the last year or so. Glad to swap info! Also, I am updating my CO detectors to Xintex CMD5-MB. Average life is 5-7 years. The new ones use same mounting holes. Cheap insurance! Considering adding the optional relay that shuts the genset down if CO levels get too high.
Bart Keil

City: Norfolk
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: Nereus

Postby vt97john on Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:50 pm

My reverse cycle heat sure works a lot better now that I know to turn on the "air relay" switch with it. And I now see water flowing out of port side of boat.

I see that the reason my CO detector wasn't lit up was that a wire inside the unit was disconnected. Also realize that the unit is in End OF Life mode (which could be why previous owner may have disconnected that wire to get rid of alarm sound). I'll just have to order new unit. The units have an end date printed on a sticker that tells you when it will stop working.

Question on battery / charger setup. When I arrived at the boat today (its in a slip on shore power). My battery meter showed the following for banks 1 (house), 2 and 3 respectively: 11.2 volts, 10.4 volts, 12.6 volts. Are those healthy levels? I'm on shore power with charger remote panel set to shore power and on the charger unit itself the lights indicate "ready" not "charging". If I use cabin lights, tv, fridge etc for a few hours the voltage on bank 1 goes down significantly (8.2 volts right now) even though I'm on shore power and I think I'm in the proper charging mode. One thing I haven't checked yet is water in batteries - not immediately obvious to me where the opening is for that on these batteries. But regardless of battery health, shouldn't volt meter show consistent higher voltage while charger is on?

Thanks.
2013 Ranger Tug R29
vt97john

Postby Red Raven on Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Your batteries should read well above 13 volts when charging unless coming from a signIficantly discharged state. If they have been under charge for several days and read these voltages they likely need to be replaced. Before replacing, check the voltage at the battery terminals with a volt meter. If different than at the panel pull the connectors and clean them thoroughly. If still low then pull them and have them tested at an auto parts store. Your charger should be indicating charging at these voltages. On my boat there is a breaker on the AC panel to turn the charger on. Don’t know the setup on yours.

Without a load and not under charge they should roughly be between 12v (50% State of Charge [SOC]) and 12.8V (100% SOC).

Curt
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby vt97john on Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks Curt. Do you think the type of battery that would have come with the 2013 R29 are the type that you have to add water to?
2013 Ranger Tug R29
vt97john

Postby Irish Mist on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:01 pm

The batteries may be AGM and do not require maintenance.. Did you check yet if the connections on the battery are tight?
Also with your tester you should be getting around 14.5 volts at the battery with the charger running. It sounds like the batteries are not being charged.. I would try to find out why it is not charging so you do not totally kill the batteries.
Irish Mist

City: victoria
State/Province: BC

Postby Red Raven on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:50 pm

vt97john wrote:Thanks Curt. Do you think the type of battery that would have come with the 2013 R29 are the type that you have to add water to?

Its easy to tell. If the batteries don’t have covers/caps that you can pop off to put water in the cells then they are sealed and likely AGMs. The AGMs are an option for all years of production as far as I know so you can’t tell by the build year for the boat.
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby vt97john on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:13 pm

It looks like the charger is not charging the batteries (on shore power.) Built in volt meter and hand-held voltmeter both show the batteries don't get to 12V unless I run my engine. However, when I run the engine I can see that the batteries are getting charged just fine. I don't see any issues with the indicator lights on the charger. Any ideas what to test in terms of the charger or its connection to the batteries?

Question on engine running at idle: Are the following readings good?

RPM: 670
Oil Pressure: 19 psi
Coolant: 148 degrees F ah
2013 Ranger Tug R29
vt97john

Postby vt97john on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:39 am

Problem solved on the charger. I neglected to turn on the "inverter" switch in the port side cockpit compartment (i.e. the same panel where you can turn on "house" etc). I assumed that switch was just for the inverter function but its also needed for charging function while on shore power.

Still could use feedback on the engine readings above.

Thanks.
2013 Ranger Tug R29
vt97john

Postby fishheadbarandgrill on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:37 am

vt97john wrote:It looks like the charger is not charging the batteries (on shore power.) Built in volt meter and hand-held voltmeter both show the batteries don't get to 12V unless I run my engine. However, when I run the engine I can see that the batteries are getting charged just fine. I don't see any issues with the indicator lights on the charger. Any ideas what to test in terms of the charger or its connection to the batteries?

Question on engine running at idle: Are the following readings good?

RPM: 670
Oil Pressure: 19 psi
Coolant: 148 degrees F ah

Hi John!
Took delivery of my new 2011 R29 last week. Those numbers look like mine. The oil pressure will start out higher then fall down as the oil gets hot. Do you know how many hours are on the oil? My oil pressure is a little higher... in the 30s I think. But it is fresh oil with only a couple of hours because the boat was winterized. I did buy the boat in Maine.
Bob Menches
2011 R29
SEA SHANTY
Southport, NC
fishheadbarandgrill

City: Southport
State/Province: NC
Vessel Name: Sea Shanty

Postby H28 on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:40 am

do you have a fuse diagram/key? Mine is on the boat 90 miles away on the hard, or I'd scan it in. You should have one in your bag. If not, get one from the factory. those bilge fuses are in the "cave" upper left above the panel. they go out. mine did. order a fuse set from amazon of varying sizes.

i test my bilge pump with hose filling the bilge. those Johnson Control electromagnetic float switches suck IMHO. I went through three in one year on my RT25. they have not taken my hint to switch to Ultra's.

-most probably: chances are the fuse blew.
-second most probable: bad float switch: hard not to replace it with another johnson controls one as in is a pain in the rear to do anything else
-possible: factory hooked up the wiring backwards. turn the bilge pump on manually if it shuts off when the water level goes down, then they hooked it up backwards. it should stay on until you turn it off

and, ALWAYS check all the seacocks anytime you muck about in the engine compartment. yours truly was cleaning up the bilge and checking things out and accidently shut off the engine intake...... luckily my pre-cruise check list is to check that the boat is "peeing" and monitoring the engine temp..........
H28

City: oak brook
State/Province: IL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: Hygge

Postby vt97john on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:40 am

Congrats Bob! Sea shanty looked like a great boat online. Does it have two fuel tanks or one? I found the problem with my auto bilge. Someone had disconnected a battery cable.
2013 Ranger Tug R29
vt97john

PreviousNext

Return to Chat