enclosed cockpit

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

enclosed cockpit

Postby ngleadow on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:46 pm

We are thinking of enclosing the cockpit on our 2010 R25 Classic and I would welcome any comments regarding advantages and disadvantages of doing so. Our boating area is in the Pacific Northwest, moored in Nanaimo, BC.

Thanks

Norm on Blue Socks
ngleadow

City: Roberts Creek
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: BLUE SOCKS

Re: enclosed cockpit

Postby captstu on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:05 pm

Our R25 factory Bimini came with zippers for screens or enclosure. I was quoted just under $1k for screens with roll-down plastic covers -- an "all weather" enclosure for South Florida, but maybe not what you were thinking?

We find the cockpit to noisy, even with substantial extra soundproofing, for extended running when sitting out back at 3200 rpm or above, below that it is tolerable. Before you spend the $$$, try sitting out there with the engine running if that is your intent.

Clearly at anchor an enclosure with a small heater would be good for some extra space. Please pose your decision, I may be looking for the same - good luck.
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV
captstu

City: Delray Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV

Re: enclosed cockpit

Postby baz on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:14 pm

If you do have a cockpit full enclosure fabricated for your R-25 be sure to have sufficiently large zipper panels made at the cleat locations so fenders can be deployed and retrieved easily/quickly.

If storing the enclosure panels the best technique it to roll all of them up in one roll and secured from unrolling with some straps.

When underway have the aft panel over the transom door opened slightly to provide some ventilation or open one or more of the fender access panels I mentioned above.
Barry, (1st mate Gill passed away Aug 11, 2018) & Jake (Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 S Hero Red to be delivered Mar 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 Outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Return to Chat