I have to say goodbye to my R27/OB this week

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

I have to say goodbye to my R27/OB this week

Postby baz on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:29 pm

Subject: I have to say goodbye to my R27/OB this week

The time has come for me to release my 2018 R27/OB to Ranger Tugs as a trade in for my ordered 2019 R29 S. It will be picked up this coming Thursday at my Marina and trailered to the RT Kent factory parking area.

I've thoroughly enjoyed owning the R27/OB but my life moves on along with new boating requirements. Thursday will be a sad day and I'll be boat-less for several months waiting for my R29 S.

Over past few weeks I've pulled all my gear off the R27/OB and I simply cannot believe how much it is. Most of it is now piled up at one end of my bedroom and gets the attention of my Fox Terrier each time he enters the bedroom.... he sniffs at everything and I'm in fear he will find something irresistible and tear it to pieces. :lol: My suspicion is that there's a dog biscuit buried in the heap of gear that Jake is trying to get at.

No matter, I will be more careful as I start loading any of this gear onto the R29 S to at least say..."do I really need this or that...".

One benefit for unloading all the gear from the R27/OB will be that I can use the smaller of the two lifts at my Marina. The smaller one is far less expensive to use and the R27/OB should easily be lifted by the 10,000 lbs restriction the smaller lift has.

If you have an interest in a like-new R27/OB (has the Yamaha F300 outboard and 9.9 HP kicker, both fully serviced) go see it after this week at the RT Kent factory. It's in very good condition and has a full cockpit enclosure, a Fill-Rite flow meter to register gallons drawn into the holding tank and a sturdy Garlick Eez-in Table Pedestal for the cockpit table.
Last edited by baz on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Re: I have to say goodbye to my R27/OB this week

Postby J6@Two Harbors on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:48 pm

Hello, do you have any idea of the asking price?
J6@Two Harbors

City: Wrightwood
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27

Postby baz on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:38 pm

J6@Two Harbors wrote:Hello, do you have any idea of the asking price?

Suggest you call Andrew Custis at RT Kent office 253-839-5213.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby BB marine on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:28 am

Barry, I would bet your boat is sold before it gets to the factory. Good luck with your new boat. I hope you take pictures of the build and post them.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby baz on Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:44 pm

Well, it has gone and should now be hanging out at the Kent factory. The only thing RT insisted on for trailering was to take down the cockpit's full enclosure and empty the fresh water tank. Apart from a rub mark on the hull this RT27/OB is in excellent condition.

Now talking with my Port Of Edmonds marina I've struck a good deal for my new R29 S that will likely be ready next March sometime. The deal is to sign up for a 32 foot covered slip Dec 1st with the slip being made available Jan 1, 2019. For Jan 2019 and Dec 2019 I'll be charged just $20 for each of these months. During Jan 1 to when my R29 S arrives the R8 slip will be rented out under the Marina's rent-a-slip program. I was simply amazed the Marina was so accommodating.... but then I've been a solid continuous customer for them over past 12 years.... The savings here will go toward having King Marine Canvas install a full cockpit enclosure on the new R29 S. :D

I do not intend to hang a RIB on the swim step of the R29 S so the 32-foot slip will just be fine and will have no issues with the Marina charging for any overhang. :roll: :D
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby jimschu on Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:54 pm

Barry,

Congratulations on the new R 29 S. Pretty sure you will love it. I'm going to miss you as a E-dockmate
this past year. Hope youe new slip is close by. Good luck on the new Ranger.

Jim
jimschu

Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Seascape Too
MMSI Number: 123456789

Postby baz on Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:59 pm

Jim: Don't worry, I'll come by and bore you with questions and other boat chats. I'll be in slip R8 next March sometime. I believe we will have something more in common as the R29 S has the Volvo Penta 300 HP - same as yours, right ? ...and I'll employ the same engine mechanic that you use for maintenance chores.... although I'm going to try my hand at most of the simple stuff.

I handed my E-gate key into Office the other day so now I cannot check your boat and alert to you issues if they arose. I noticed you posted your contact info in the port side window.....good thinking. :lol:

Take care in your sunny location over winter time.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Jfrano on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:50 pm

Hi Barry,

Wife and I are trying to decide on the R27 or the R29. Can you share your reasons for going from the 27 to the 29? We plan on doing the loop in retirement, so we’d live aboard for 2-3 months at a time.

Thanks
Joe
Jfrano

City: Butler
State/Province: NJ

Postby baz on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:19 am

For the 2 to 3 months living onboard the only answer I have for you is to get the R29.

It's simply bigger (longer and wider), great island 4" memory foam berth in bow and diesel fuel at this time is less expensive than gasoline.

If money is tight the R27/OB will do very well also, but is smaller, bow berth not as easily accessible as it requires a crawl-in approach, head/toilet room is smaller and its door opens outwards vs. inwards for the R29 which may sound strange to mention but having the door open inwards is an important design feature IMO and does not obstruct as you enter the head room.

The R27/OB's main attraction is its speed and its hull will make more noise than for the R29. The R29 will get you to 24 mph if you wish but suspect the 10 to 15 mph is what you would run it at.

Both boats are very quiet in the cabin and both have wonderful 360º of view from within the cabin.

I think you would find the R29 to be more relaxing for the loop adventure.

If you feel comfortable spending the extra brass for the R29 vs. the R27/OB you will not or should not be disappointed.

I went for the R29 CB because it is a boat my late 1st Mate and I really wanted for cruising in the PNW water conditions and could be handled solo by me at times. My sea trail of the R29 CB convinced me it was a more comfortable, more relaxing boat to handle in rough water conditions compared to the R27/OB. The R27/OB is a lovely boat in its own right, but the R29 S/CB offers far more and IMO worth the extra brass.

Good luck.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Jfrano on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:21 pm

Thanks Barry for the input.
The diesel vs the OB is where my difficulty lies and it may well be due to my lack of experience.
Trying to envision us doing the loop with the diesel and going the efficient 10 mph (?). With the great distances in the loop, I wonder how satisfactory of an experience that is for people, getting from point to point?
Jfrano

City: Butler
State/Province: NJ

Postby Admiral S on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:26 pm

Jfrano wrote:Thanks Barry for the input.
The diesel vs the OB is where my difficulty lies and it may well be due to my lack of experience.
Trying to envision us doing the loop with the diesel and going the efficient 10 mph (?). With the great distances in the loop, I wonder how satisfactory of an experience that is for people, getting from point to point?

Our 2017 R-27 Classic with the Diesel, fully loaded cruises all day at 13kts @ 3,100 RPM burning about 6 gallons per hour.

This was a great speed for us to cruise at. Allowed us to take in the sights while we cruise, and allows us to make pretty good time getting to where we needed to be.
Admiral S

City: Stony Point
State/Province: NY
Non-Ranger Model: Helmsman Trawlers 43 Pilot House
Vessel Name: Varka (2017)
MMSI Number: 338238995

Postby baz on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:53 pm

Jfrano wrote:Thanks Barry for the input.

Diesel vs. Outboard models
1) Make sure you can obtain reputable engine service for either.... this is important.
2) The Diesel engine is more able to be serviced as DIY for simple tasks.
3) The outboard will be more difficult to service as a DIY if you don't have a trailer for the boat.
4) Both engines should last a long time if proper maintenance is adhered to.
5) The outboard on the R27/OB opens up a huge storage space in the center cockpit hatch area.
6) The Diesel engine without the Genset allows awesome access to all the transom installed gear.
7) Diesel fuel is less expensive at this time compared to gasoline.
8) Gasoline needs to be without the ethanol additive otherwise you degrade performance and run risk of clogging injectors.
9) The outboard will give you a much higher speed in calm waters and when needed than the diesel will provide.
10) The Diesel engine is heavy and located low down so provides better boat stability in just about any situation compared the the 600 lb outboard beast.
11) The R29 with its keel offers better protection for the running gear. However, the outboard does have 'kickup' but can be damaged more easily.
12) In a marina with outboard hanging off the stern when bow in at a slip it's more easily damaged by passing boats; as evidenced by R23 owner in my area.
13) I suspect the R29 with its bow/stern thruster will be easier to position in locks vs. the R27/OB with just its bow thruster. If adept with the outboard this may not be an issue.
14) There's differences with either engine when reversing, but cannot say which is better.... just something to be aware of.

What speeds do you anticipate needing for traversing the 'loop' ?
Last edited by baz on Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby knotflying on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:45 am

I think it is all about picking your poison. We have the R-27 classic and have gone everywhere with it. We have gone from Florida to the PNW towing, the Bahamas and most of the loop and many of the canals in Canada and New York State. We have lived on it for as long as six months and could have gone much longer. It is a very seaworthy boat. For cruising I would prefer the inboard. The 29 will give you more room and diesel. If you are considering towing you will need the same vehicle for both, a 3/4 ton diesel (IMO) is the best. The only drawback with the 29 is the permit requirement, which is not all that cumbersome.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby baz on Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:49 pm

jimschu wrote:Barry,

Congratulations on the new R 29 S. Pretty sure you will love it. I'm going to miss you as a E-dockmate
this past year. Hope youe new slip is close by. Good luck on the new Ranger.

Jim

Jim: I'll have my R29 CB in slip S-28. You can always ask the marina Ops manager or any of the office lads for an S dock key. So if you need assistance or just want to chat come on over. PM me and I'll give you my mobile number.

Take care....
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby baz on Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:00 pm

Today I finally did it.... Paid for my 2019 R29 CB and completed my R27/OB trade in to RT. My R29 CB delivery to my Marina is now estimated to be in week of Mar 18. The bottom/hull paint requires a full week to get done and this is part of the delivery delay. Will be going to the Monroe factory next week to take photos of my partially built R29 CB.

During the next month I will be reviewing all the PNW places I want to visit... I've been to many but there are so many more to goto. Fun times ahead for sure.... :D
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz