R-25 Conversion to a Charter Fishing Vessel

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

R-25 Conversion to a Charter Fishing Vessel

Postby sidetrack on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:12 am

For anyone interested: Bought the vessel in Feb and spent 3.5 months renovating and converting to a Charter fishing vessel. Did both exterior and interior changes to improve the boat for its new purpose and to make it better overall. Interior includes closing off the v-birth with louvered doors, adding a lockable cabinet above the stove top. Exterior includes a helm station c/w auto-pilot, built in fold-down seats, and tons of stainless steel.
sidetrack

City: Victoria
State/Province: BC
Ranger Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Sidetrack

Re: R-25 Conversion to a Charter Fishing Vessel

Postby bbrh842 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:17 am

Far out! Nice Job.
bbrh842

City: Clear Lake City
State/Province: TX
Vessel Name: (2007) Tug O' War

Postby BILLR on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:28 am

Sidetrack,
That was a labor of love.
Quality workmanship!
How many do you take out on a trip?
Bill
BILLR

City: Taylorsville
State/Province: UT

Postby sidetrack on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:00 am

I take up to 6 clients. My min day is 6hrs fishing time... plus travel... so if its large adults then as few as 4 might be more comfortable.
sidetrack

Postby Lobo on Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:28 pm

I just have to add my two-bits to this. Ron has done quite a magnificent job on remodelling the R25 for fishing. There are ideas for general use that you might want to copy. It is definitly worthwhile to view his photos.

Dave
"Lobo".
Lobo

Vessel Name: Lobo
MMSI Number: 316013957

Postby rogerbum on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:20 pm

Beautiful work and beautiful boat. I do have a question though and hopefully this won't be taken the wrong way - Why a Ranger Tug for a fishing charter vessel? In my mind, the Ranger is less than ideal for this purpose - the cockpit is quite small, the speed isn't as high as say a CD-255 Tomcat (longer to get to fishing grounds in most places) and really low speed trolling is perhaps a bit more difficult with the Tug. Don't get me wrong - I love the tugs but see them as more of a cruiser that can be used for fishing than as a fishing vessel that can be used for cruising. Is the charter work the main application for the boat or do you use it mostly as a personal cruiser with the charter work being a side job? What drove your decision? Just wondering (and I might learn something too).
rogerbum

City: Kenmore
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: CD-22 cruiser

Postby sidetrack on Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:42 am

The R-25 with the cummins 150 is the perfect boat for my application. I do "day charters" and generally fish for 6hrs plus travel. I did lots of research and sea trialed the vessel to see what it was capable of. Firstly I have been chartering with a 38 ft wooden ex-troller, that I rebuilt from a derelict state, for 15 yrs. It was, of course, full displacement, and its top speed was 8kts. The R-25 cruises at almost double the speed. My fishing grounds, with the R-25, are only between 5 min and 40 min from my dock. Trolling with this vessel and this motor is a joy. The semi-displacement hull and my sitex auto-pilot have made it a breeze. There is lots of tide here and I end up trolling between 800 and 1200 rpms. The niche market that I developed over the last 15yrs is that I can take more then 4 people fishing. Typical boats used in the area are 21 to 23 ft'rs with half of the cockpit size that the R-25 offers. Feel free to ck out my webpage, which is presently being redeveloped, but still shows the original vessel.... and lots of pics @ www.sidetrackcharters.com .
sidetrack

Postby kim&tim on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:53 pm

"Big Attitude" looks great....she caught ALLOT of crabs in the short time we had her.....best of luck with the boat and the "rods !

Tim & Kim
R29-hermitage, Gibsons, B.C.
kim&tim

City: gibsons
Ranger Model: R-29 Tug
Vessel Name: Hermitage

Postby groby on Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:28 pm

I have fished out of De Poe Bay for about 20 years in a 21 foot Harvey Hull
(1967). Now the time has come for my wife and i to do some serious debate as to what our boating future holds. When I came across your article about the conversion of the R25 I couldn't help but chuckle at those who would think this is not a good choice for chartering. My only concern would be how she handles the open ocean. Have you poked around the corner toward Barkley Sound with her? How does she handle swell with chop and beam attack and does she have scupper drainage? It seems to me if you like your job it might as well be in a craft designed for comfort and durability. I will be eagerly waiting for your reply. We have looked at the Ocean Sport (Spend y and a gas guzzler) Also the Sea Sport. (Kind of the same stuff as the OS).My wife loves the idea of us both getting what we would like out of a craft.We for sure would do the inside to AK from Seattle. In your honest opinion does this R-25 or 27 or 29 fit the bill for this venture? Thanks for you reply.
groby

City: Dallas
State/Province: OR
Non-Ranger Model: Currently a no boat owner

Postby Stella Maris on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:34 pm

A few years back three R-21's did the inside passage to Alaska. While the R-21 proved it was up to the task, I am not sure that I would take one there myself. I would take the R-25, R-27, or our R-29 there though. It is more about the comfort level..... We are definently taking Karma there in the next few years.
David and Maureen Baker
R21EC, Stella Maris
Helmsman PH38, Destiny
http://www.rangertug25-solitude.com
http://www.Helmsman-Ph38-Destiny.com

Always Be Yourself, because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones that mind, don't matter.
Stella Maris

City: Henderson
State/Province: NV
Ranger Model: R-21 EC Tug
Non-Ranger Model: Helmsman PH38, 9' Boston Whaler
Vessel Name: R21EC, Stella Maris; Helmsman, Destiny

Postby Bruce Moore on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Here's the story about Rick Huizi onboard the Kentucky Colonel, Nate Streitmatter onboard Wren and George Unterseher on Molly B and their trip to Alaska Ranger R21's.

Cheers
Bruce and Vicki
R31 Sedan - MoonShadow
Seattle, WA
Bruce Moore

City: Seattle
Ranger Model: R-31 Tug
Non-Ranger Model: SSBN 658 Mariano G. Vallejo
Vessel Name: MoonShadow (2014)
MMSI Number: 367598350

Postby johnniethek on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:08 am

The only way I would take my R-21 EC up the Inside Passage would be with at least two other 21-footers or larger vessels.

My plan is to upgrade to a 25-footer or larger next spring, then head up the Inside Passage two years later.

JtK
johnniethek

City: Enumclaw
Ranger Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Red Ranger
MMSI Number: 338092124

Postby Keebler on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:36 pm

I just ordered My 31 , I am mainly a fisherman at heart and I wanted the cutwater , but my wife wanted the comfort. so we settled on a Ranger 31 sedan.( happy wife happy life thing)

I just Visited your site and saw your pics. Love the cooler on the back !

I am in the Chesapeake Bay and since our new boat is trailer able , I wanted to take it to Ocean City Md. to hit the Ocean 25 miles out or more.
So my question is , How is it out on the ocean on this boat ?
Keebler

City: Huntingtown
State/Province: MD
Ranger Model: R-31 Tug

Postby baz on Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:06 pm

The Louvered doors for the V-berth entrance is awesome. I sure would like to see a photo with theses doors opened. Do they fold forward or aft ? Suspect they fold forward, and if so is the center mattress in place or does it have to be removed ?
Barry, Gill & Chloé & Jake Wire Hair Fox Terriers
MY2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Vessel Name: LAXEY (2010)
MMSI Number: 367431510

Return to Chat