Total nightmare!!

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Total nightmare!!

Postby snydzy on Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:52 am

I came across this blog on Trawler Forum.....total nightmare!
https://www.cutwater302.com/blog?fbclid ... e3TFg9RGYA
snydzy

City: Leesburg
State/Province: IN
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Tugster

Re: Total nightmare!!

Postby Matty on Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:13 am

I doubt the bilge pump theory pans out as it does not matter if switches are off. They always come on if there is water to pump out- unless the battery was dead. Does not seem possible that that much water got in given the weather description.

With the other leaks - maybe it fell off the truck during the delivery. In any case it is an anomaly given the number of the same boats out there in much rougher conditions.

But having no insurance - unbelievable. And the story proves out why.
Matty

City: New Smyrna Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: IN THE FALL (2018)

Postby knotflying on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:25 am

Lots of things to check out before one can point fingers to design. Bilge pump sensors can fail and should be checked regularly. I wonder when or if he ever tested them. If anything it definitely reinforces the chances one takes not getting insurance.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby BB marine on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:27 am

Matty wrote:I doubt the bilge pump theory pans out as it does not matter if switches are off. They always come on if there is water to pump out- unless the battery was dead. Does not seem possible that that much water got in given the weather description.

With the other leaks - maybe it fell off the truck during the delivery. In any case it is an anomaly given the number of the same boats out there in much rougher conditions.

But having no insurance - unbelievable. And the story proves out why.

I'm going to be non-bias. There is 2 sides to any story. Not having insurance I will admit is a questionable decision. Not having insurance didn't sink the boat. I'm sure there is an investigation on both sides Owner and Manufacturer. I would hope that at the end of the investigation the cause of the sinking is made known to all Ranger and Cutwater owners with outboard power plants. Regardless if it is the owners fault or the manufactures fault if it happened to one boat it could happen to another in the right conditions. If the owner left something on and the batteries were dead and the pumps could no longer pump water out. The question would still remain how did that much water get into the boat to sink it? Rough water, to rough for a Cutwater 30 but no damage to a small dock? This issue is well publicized now. I found the blog doing a search for Cutwaters doing the loop. I feel bad for the owner and I'm sure Fluid Motion will do their do diligence in investigating and find the cause. I am really surprised the dealer is not helping their customer. Once again two sides to every story.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby NautiTug on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:10 am

This was actually the top story on the Hull truths weekly email blast and I actually just skimmed over it until i Just saw this post and made the connection.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-fo ... st12016041
----------------------------------------------
2017 Cutwater 28
No Reservations
Monmouth Boat Club
Red Bank, NJ
NautiTug

City: Little Silver
State/Province: NJ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: No Reservations

Postby mlull on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:53 am

Will be interesting to see how long this thread lasts. The last one about the sinking disappeared rather quickly...
mlull

City: Boulder
State/Province: CO
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: RADIO FLYER

Postby Brian B on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:56 am

It will probably come down to the lawyers fighting this out. If I had a boat with this motor configuration I would be very concerned. I would be considering a survey for documentation purposes. The original owner of my boat had it surveyed before he took delivery. I had asked my surveyor about this. His response was that he was a prudent buyer, to ensure the manufacturer did their job correctly.
Brian B

City: West Warwick
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby marcham on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:15 am

30 days without power, and tied stern to prevailing winds will do that sort of thing... owner couldn't replace 1 nut, probably new to boating.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
marcham

City: Merville
State/Province: BC

Postby Matty on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:11 am

Does that boat and motor configuration come with a rear thruster? I see one in the picture and that seems odd with the twin outboards. Wonder if it was an add on or factory installed?
Matty

City: New Smyrna Beach
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: IN THE FALL (2018)

Postby Barerootsbob on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:18 am

The first thing that struck me in this post was his annoyance that other customers were delaying his time with Dave. While reading this further I noticed he took delivery and then took the boat through the inside passage to Alaska without a shakedown period. This guys either a badass or a dumbass. Reading further I find he had no insurance. Well that answers my question. Who buys a brand new Cutwater and neglects to name it.
Which leads me to wonder if he kept his batteries charged properly. Did he have shore power on his dock? Did he use a generator or frequent runs at speed and duration to keep them charged. I didn’t see anything in his blog addressing this. His batteries could have easily discharged if they sat to long without attention.
And if he already has an attorney actively working on this why does he take time to publicly air his grievances.
It looks like his claim is based on Cutwater installing inadequate bilge pumps. If you need to move more that 1100 GPH of water to stay afloat there is a lot more than a small leak going on.
This guy seems to find outrage in every step of the purchase and delivery of his boat. Now he wants a full refund of his boat, trailer and all his expenses. As if he contributed nothing to his dilemma. It will be interesting to see how this turns out but his blaming everyone involed in the process is telling me he has more problems than just his boat.
Barerootsbob

City: Redding
State/Province: CA
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Happy Days
MMSI Number: 338304696

Postby Brian B on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:38 am

From posts I read on another site this owner had the resources to self insure. For the rest of us make sure your policy would cover a loss under these circumstances. I’m not in the insurance business but this may be considered a “consequential loss”. If this is not spelled out in your policy you would not be covered. See my previous post. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9472&hilit=+Consequential
Brian B

City: West Warwick
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby Robvic on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:56 am

Noted by a reader on The Hull Truth, the picture of his motors with the broken steering shows open white inspection plates, while the surveyors pictures show black plates. Either different boats, or something else going on here. Can any C302 owners comment on the inspection plates on their pods?
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-fo ... ock-7.html
Rob
Robvic

City: Victoria
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Vessel Name: Wippi

Postby Ernie on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:28 pm

What a story,
I saw this on Facebook and read most of it. It's so long I had to take a break. Trying to look for lessons learned for me as a mariner, and so far the big one is from responses to this here: Keep my batteries charged and check the bilge pumps regularly.
This is like a mystery story with so many more questions than clues. I'm doubting a single explanation that fits better than : The Cascade of Failures theory. Many small things and decisions that led to a catastrophic conclusion. Other new boat owners : Insure your boat, spend a great deal of time on your boat crawling around and finding everything you can while safely tied to the dock. Spend some time on the water with at least one capable crew in gradually more challenging sea states to learn the personality of your boat. ( please don't do the inside passage as a shake down cruise) Name your boat it can't hurt.
Basically , bond with your boat before you put your life in her hands .)
Ernie

City: Seattle
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Daisy

Postby crowleykirk on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:57 pm

When we had our boat business in Newport Beach, CA many years ago when I was a service tech for Grand Banks etc....
One of our long time customers purchased a new 36GB with twin Lehman's

I was down on the boat after we took delivery, beautiful boat. I was down just doing basic checks for break-in.
Engine alignments, tachometer calibrations, checking all fittings and clamps etc...

Just a very simple and normal routine visit.

I got to work the next day and was told that their new GB was sitting at the bottom of their slip. I laughed, thought a joke was being played on me... but no joke. Customers came in and was furious. Blaming me for sinking his boat. Then the lawyers got involved and we were sued as well as almost anyone that touched the boat including Grand Banks.

I knew I did nothing wrong. Apparently a transducer broke and the bilge pumps could not keep up, even hooked to shore power. The said I had stepped on it while servicing the boat. It was near the back basically under the starboard prop shaft. Would be nearly impossible to step on.

Very long story short, we and GB hired a metallurgist. This was all a massive expense to us. It was concluded that there a plastic nut on brass thread had cracked and should of never been used in the first place. Fault GB.

In the end our customer eventually got a new boat but it took years and we never serviced their boat again. Bad blood I guess. We never came to blows but of course counter sued. It was a nightmare mess and was a lot to deal with in my early 20's. I don't remember ever last detail but moral of story lots of things can go wrong. This is one of those situations that I don't think anyone after the fact could of prevented. This was 100% the manufacturer.

ALWAYS.. have insurance. I feel bad for these folks but most of this is 100% on us. No one is perfect, not even the boat builders and the folks that assemble them or service them or for that matter own them. Insurance is a must and you have to know the details, what is covered. Even with insurance it can take years to get your money or a replacement boat.

In many of the boats we serviced we added extra bilge pumps. Now with solar and shore power you should be in pretty good shape. But not everything is available. Diligence is key on our part to the best of our abilities. I can tell you some crazy stories and life threatening situations owners got themselves into, all because they just wanted to turn the key and go.

Kirk
crowleykirk

City: Mammoth Lakes
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Kirk Williams

Postby Cutwater28GG on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:49 pm

i'm sorry but to me this whole thing reads like a scam end to end.
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Next

Return to Chat