(another) prospective owner seeking advice on R-27 OB

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

(another) prospective owner seeking advice on R-27 OB

Postby incoming on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:54 pm

I'm potentially facing a move from the Washington DC area to the Denver, CO area. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much hope that we could bring our 38' Bertram with us.

But there seem to be quite a few lakes in the Denver area. And a (long) one day drive opens up everything from lake powell, to the great lakes, to even corpus cristi. So we're thinking about joining the ranks of the "trailer cruisers" and the new R-27 looks like it could be a good alternative (albeit more expensive) to "traditional" pocket cruisers like the Regal 28.

Here are some of the questions I'm struggling with - I'm hoping ya'll could provide your thoughts/sanity checks.

-Will an R-27 sleep 2 adults and 2 children comfortably? Not for weeks, but at least for a few days? The "cave" looks like it would sleep one person OK, but if the dinette is also made up as a bed, is it possible to get in and out of? Is the v-berth large enough to sleep two people comfortably, including one person who is 6'2"? Has anyone been on both the R-27 and the C-28 to know if one has more space than the other? What about the C-242 - is it quite a bit smaller? I'm guessing with 8'6" beams and similar layouts there isn't much difference but it's really hard to tell from the pictures, and I've only ever been on the C-242 (I found the v-berth quite cramped).

-With the right tow vehicle - perhaps a 2500 series truck or one of the new F150's that will tow 12,000 lbs., will we likely (eventually) get comfortable towing a boat the size of the R-27 long distances, including potentially over the Rockies?

-(long shot) does anyone have enough boating experience in the Denver area to know how interesting/enjoyable it would be exploring the area lakes within a couple of hour drive from Denver with a boat like the R-27?
incoming

City: Washington
State/Province: DC
Non-Ranger Model: Bertram 38

Re: (another) prospective owner seeking advice on R-27 OB

Postby baz on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:54 am

Sleeping for 2 adults and two SMALL children will not be a problem for a few days. Just keep the 'cave' clear of stored stuff.

Dinette berth is adequate for a single child and coverts easily.

V-berth sleeps two adults without issues for a few days.

I don't trailer so cannot offer any advice etc.
Barry, (1st mate Gill passed away Aug 11, 2018) & Jake (Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 S Hero Red to be delivered Mar 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 Outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby Brian B on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:56 am

I would go with at least a 2500 series diesel and a trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes towing through mountains. I tow my 25SC with a F-350 diesel and if it wasn't for the fuel mileage being cut in half I hardly know it's back there.
Brian B

City: West Warwick
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby incoming on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:08 am

Ok great and how about getting in/out of the cave? With one child in the cave and another sleeping on the dinette, can the one in the cave get out easily enough to not feel trapped? And I should add the girls are 8 and 10 so theu are still somewhat small but getting bigger every day.

Also, reading through new owner threads it sounds like these boats have a tendency to have a “punch list” of items that need to be addressed after purchasing but the company is great about making good on anything that needs to be fixed. What if you are 1,000 miles from the closest dealer?
incoming

Postby Matty on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:58 am

The question about punch list is something you want answered directly by dealer and factory. My expereience is they are going to help you with the punch list and any other warranty issues one way or the other. In some cases they may have you find a capable marina to do the repair under warranty but I think you want to arrange that with the dealaer first. Probably has something to do with who (dealer or factory) bears the financial risk on the warranty. This issue of being that far away is something they have to deal with all the time given how spread out the dealer network is but they make it work.
Matty

City: New Smyrna Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: IN THE FALL (2018)

Postby Monopoly on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:01 am

The C242 feels much smaller than the R27-OB. The R27 will probably work well for your family although I suggest that you try the V-berth if you are 6’2”.

I have towed out R-27 several times and after towing it with a F-350 dually and a F-150 I can say an F-150 with the proper tow package (that tows 12,000 pounds) will be fine but definitely the electric over hydraulic brakes.

As for the “punch list”. I would definitely recommend talking to the dealer and the factory. Find out how they are going to deal with warranty issues before you buy.
Monopoly

City: Rouses Point
State/Province: NY
Vessel Name: Monopoly

Postby incoming on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:14 am

Matty wrote: This issue of being that far away is something they have to deal with all the time given how spread out the dealer network is but they make it work.

Good thought - you are absolutely right that they must have dealt with exactly this question before. If we get close to pulling the trigger I'll engage with them and make sure I get a satisfactory answer. There isn't much point in paying the premium for a new boat if it's impractical to take advantage of the warranty. At least service on the Yamaha won't be an issue with their extensive dealer network.

Monopoly wrote:The C242 feels much smaller than the R27-OB. The R27 will probably work well for your family although I suggest that you try the V-berth if you are 6’2”.

Thanks - that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Any thoughts on the question of whether ingress/egress from the cave is workable with someone sleeping on the dinette?

Monopoly wrote:I have towed out R-27 several times and after towing it with a F-350 dually and a F-150 I can say an F-150 with the proper tow package (that tows 12,000 pounds) will be fine but definitely the electric over hydraulic brakes.

Great feedback - someone with experience using both! I appreciate it!
incoming

Postby BB marine on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:19 am

incoming wrote:Ok great and how about getting in/out of the cave? With one child in the cave and another sleeping on the dinette, can the one in the cave get out easily enough to not feel trapped? And I should add the girls are 8 and 10 so theu are still somewhat small but getting bigger every day.

Also, reading through new owner threads it sounds like these boats have a tendency to have a “punch list” of items that need to be addressed after purchasing but the company is great about making good on anything that needs to be fixed. What if you are 1,000 miles from the closest dealer?

We have a Cutwater, the cave is slightly larger then the R-27 OB. A child or adult could sleep in the cave and I'm sure many do but it is a bit claustrophobic for me and or any guest that have attempted to stay on board. My grandkids end up sleeping in the V berth with us. It is a great area for storage. The dinette is adequate for one person and some type of topper is needed for a comfortable berth. The V berth with a 3"memory foam mattress is very comfortable plenty of room to sleep. If we had young children I would utilize the cockpit for sleeping quarters with a full enclosure and a comfortable air mattress .

Towing is not bad at all I believe the R-27 OB is close to the same weight as our Cutwater 26 Approximately 7000 lbs. I do recommend as already stated 2500 series minimum for long distant towing. Some half tons have a high tow capacity but there are restrictions, read the small print. Most 2500 or larger are rated to tow 12000 or more without restrictions. If you shop for a truck you will see a significant difference in the build of a 1/2 ton compared to a 3/4 ton, frame, suspension, differential, and brakes.

Punch list answer. This depends on who you ask based on there experience with a dealer and how the dealer responds, keep an open mind. My experience was not the best, great dealer with limited resources to make repairs. The factory people were available to answer questions and assisted in that way. I did all the repairs. My advise based on my experience would be to order the boat through the manufacture, do a tour of the plant during the build of your boat and look at the boat's components as being assembled, take some pictures for future knowledge of how and where components are and how to get to them. When the boat is completed go over the check list with a factory member to confirm that all components are functioning and installation is complete to your satisfaction. Do a factory delivery and make a punch list if issues are present. Have the factory make the appropriate repairs. Make arrangements a head of time with the factory customer service representatives as to how future issues if any will be addressed in the location that the boat will be used. Bring the boat home and enjoy your Ranger Tug with confidence that the factory is your dealer and will take care of warranty issues first hand. If I were to purchase another Fluid Motion product this would be my method. Based on my experience only. These are well designed unique boats with a lot of amenities packed into a pocket cruiser. We do enjoy cruising in our boat and no matter where we go with it we always get compliments.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby NewMoon on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:49 am

[quote="BB marine"]Towing is not bad at all I believe the R-27 OB is close to the same weight as our Cutwater 26 Approximately 7000 lbs. I do recommend as already stated 2500 series minimum for long distant towing. Some half tons have a high tow capacity but there are restrictions, read the small print. Most 2500 or larger are rated to tow 12000 or more without restrictions. If you shop for a truck you will see a significant difference in the build of a 1/2 ton compared to a 3/4 ton, frame, suspension, differential, and brakes.[/quote]

You might be surprised how much that 27 weighs on the trailer all loaded up. If you were going to be towing shorter distances in relatively flat country the F150 might make sense. But not in the mountains. I think you'd want a long, heavy tow vehicle with serious suspension and brakes to keep that rig under control.

We towed our 26-footer (almost 12K lb on the trailer) some 80,000 miles all over the west with a long bed quad cab diesel 2500, very successfully. Diesel is great for high altitude mountain-climbing torque, and for fuel economy - I would certainly recommend diesel. But to me the control and safety factors are the crucial differences.
Richard Cook
Dream Catcher (Nordic Tug 37)
New Moon (Bounty 257, 1998-2018)
Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, 1991-1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
NewMoon

City: Holladay
State/Province: UT
Non-Ranger Model: Nordic Tug 37
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
MMSI Number: 367733860

Postby rporterfield on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:08 pm

Having run gas and diesel trucks for almost 60 years, my last a Chev Duramax, 2500 HD, full Banks intake, exhaust, programmer, I would suggest the diesel. Denver is 5000 ft high. Gas engines just do not sustain power at that altitude. My Duramax , or any diesel will make you happy towing.
rporterfield

City: Redmond
Vessel Name: Buoy Navigator

Postby BB marine on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:14 pm

NewMoon wrote:We towed our 26-footer (almost 12K lb on the trailer) some 80,000 miles all over the west with a long bed quad cab diesel 2500, very successfully. Diesel is great for high altitude mountain-climbing torque, and for fuel economy - I would certainly recommend diesel. But to me the control and safety factors are the crucial differences.

Agree, I never weighed the boat/trailer loaded but I was told by the trailer manufacturer 2500 lbs for trailer. I think Cutwaters dry weight of 6750 is a bit light. With the extra equipment I have installed plus supplies I estimate I'm towing 11K. Having a 3/4 with a 14500 Tow capacity gives me a good margin of error. I agree the diesel is the way to go. I presently tow with a Gas 6.0L with 4.10 differential. Never pulled thru Rockies just Smokies. I never felt I was lacking power. I am able to maintain the speed of 60 mph and engine turning 3200 rpm pulling up steep long grades with plenty of power left. The 6.0L having 1/2 the torque of the Duramax does the Job but once we are full timers traveling around the country with the boat a HD2500 with Duramax will be the order. There is no doubt I will notice the difference. Also as stated already if you are living in Denver the diesel will not experience the power loss that the Gas engine will because of the elevation. I am fully content with the safety aspect of the present truck with the Gas power but look forward to the novelty of owning a diesel.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby ixlr8 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:50 pm

My punch list in my 27OB was longer than I would have liked. Ranger went above and beyond to help resolve some of the issues. Dealer was able to get items fixed, but didn't make me happy in the process. The key to happy ownership is how good your dealer is and that can vary widely. Talk with others who have purchased from your local dealer.
I have a gas powered 2500 with tow package, I wouldn't want anything smaller to tow my 27OB. I would have liked to have gotten the diesel, but for the amount of miles I put on that vehicle, 4800 miles in 2 years, I couldn't justify the cost increase.
You need to do a "sea" trial in the conditions you will be using it most. If you are going to be spending most of your time in smooth water lakes... then do your "sea" trial there. If you are going to be spending most of your time in ocean waters, then do your trial there.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby tincup on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:53 pm

I live in the Denver Co area for years and have sailed/motored/trailer-ed a good number of Colo lakes. Currently have a 27 IB. 1 cross the Rockies at least twice a year with the 27 in tow. Can't answer space questions Others need better typing skills. Suggest PM contact info and we can discuss in depth
tincup

City: Franktown
State/Province: CO

Postby jboland11 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:06 pm

I have a Cutwater 26, same profile as a 28. No problem at 6 foot 2.
jboland11

City: Poway
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-26

Postby Maggie Anne on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:27 am

The cave in the R27OB is plenty long enough but the problem for adults is that it doesn't have enough height to actually turn over. My hips are wider than the height of the cave and I'm not a big guy so it really is only suitable for small children.
Maggie Anne

City: Blaine
Vessel Name: Maggie Anne
MMSI Number: 367798830

Next

Return to Chat