Will Sticker Removal leave "Shadowing"?

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Postby bigdealsam on Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:13 pm

New to me 2012 R25SC has spent 6 years in the MS sun. I would like to remove the "Miss Charlotte" stickers on both the port and starboard sides however I fear the sun may have created permanent shadowing that will remain after the stickers are gone. I'm not really worried about the glue residue, with enough elbow grease I'm sure it will come off. I'm worried about the long term effects of the sun leaving a permanent "Miss Charlotte" shadow on the hull.
Any advice is appreciated
PS - I have pics but can't seem to find the correct procedure to post.
bigdealsam

City: Mooresville
State/Province: NC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Almost Heaven

Re: Will Sticker Removal leave "Shadowing"?

Postby Salty7 on Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:55 am

What color is the hull? I ask because I suspect dark colors will be more challenging. Generally I have found when I remove old decals there are two things to deal with. One is the area under the decal is not oxidized and the gelcoat is harder than the surrounding areas that have been subjected to long term sun exposure. The second problem is color, the sun exposed areas will likely be lighter than the decal covered places. I have not tackled a dark blue hull and need to do this on my own tug. In the past I have started with 1000 grit wet or dry paper and wet sanded the hard areas flat where the decals were using a rubber sanding block, then shifted to wet sanding with 1500 grit paper on a block. Then using an electric buffer polished the enter area with color restorer. I would suggest leaving the area you have worked for a few weeks so the sun can do some bleaching of the newly exposed areas before you apply new decals. If anyone has any better ideas I look forward to hearing them.
Salty7

City: La Conner
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: KIKI (2012) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby captstu on Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:51 am

I removed the PA stickers when we ‘adopted’ the Shearwater. Four years later, you can read the numbers clearly when she is due for compounding and waxing.

The numbers disappear when the Hull is waxed to new looking.

The Hull is Claret Red, looks brand new right now,

Stuart Bell
Ranger 25: Shearwater
(561) 352-1796
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV
captstu

City: Delray Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV

Postby Kim and Ed on Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:32 am

Old time tugs often used a carved nameplate mounted on the hull (see below). You could design a classic looking vinyl graphic that covers the offending area should you not be able to remove the shadowing.
Ed/
gallery2.php?g2_itemId=66068
gallery2.php?g2_itemId=66071
Kim and Ed

City: Heriot Bay
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Tugetherness

Postby Bruce Moore on Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:44 pm

bigdealsam wrote:PS - I have pics but can't seem to find the correct procedure to post.

Getting a User Photo Album for your Ranger Tug is easy but it requires submitting a request from within the site structure.

1. Sign on to the site. You’re probably signed on if you’re reading this.

2. Select the User Control Panel link from the upper left corner of any page. Note: On the home page, this link is in your user menu in the upper right.

3. Click the Usergroups tab, then select the radio button next to the User Albums group.
Scroll down, choose "Join selected" in the drop-down menu, and click the Submit button.

Once you do this, an email is automatically sent to the administrator (me). That message will trigger my ability to approve your request, and you'll receive an email indicating your membership in the User Albums group has been activated.

I'll watch for the message, and look forward to seeing your pictures.

Happy New Year,

Bruce
Bruce and Vicki
R-41 Bridge - Hull #4 - Coming soon! - name TBD
Seattle, WA
Bruce Moore

City: Seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Non-Ranger Model: SSBN 658 Mariano G. Vallejo
Vessel Name: MoonShadow (2014)
MMSI Number: 367598350

Postby bob daily on Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:49 pm

Bigdealsam
I would try No7 rubbing compound, carried at most hardware stores for under $5.00 you will need a little bit of grease found between the shoulder and wrist joints. Work the area around the removed lettering to bring faded area back to luster. This should please the sea God's for the renaming of your new vessel.
Fair winds and following seas! Bob Image
bob daily

City: Kennewick
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Scuttlebutt

Postby bigdealsam on Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:55 pm

Bruce Moore wrote:
bigdealsam wrote:PS - I have pics but can't seem to find the correct procedure to post.

Getting a User Photo Album for your Ranger Tug is easy but it requires submitting a request from within the site structure.

1. Sign on to the site. You’re probably signed on if you’re reading this.

2. Select the User Control Panel link from the upper left corner of any page. Note: On the home page, this link is in your user menu in the upper right.

3. Click the Usergroups tab, then select the radio button next to the User Albums group.
Scroll down, choose "Join selected" in the drop-down menu, and click the Submit button.

Once you do this, an email is automatically sent to the administrator (me). That message will trigger my ability to approve your request, and you'll receive an email indicating your membership in the User Albums group has been activated.

I'll watch for the message, and look forward to seeing your pictures.

Happy New Year,

Bruce

Done. Thanks Bruce.
bigdealsam

Postby bigdealsam on Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:05 pm

bob daily wrote:Bigdealsam
I would try No7 rubbing compound, carried at most hardware stores for under $5.00 you will need a little bit of grease found between the shoulder and wrist joints. Work the area around the removed lettering to bring faded area back to luster. This should please the sea God's for the renaming of your new vessel.

Thanks Bob. I'll give er a go when weather is warm enough. Much appreciated. Sam
bigdealsam

Postby quinsky on Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:35 pm

I removed the vinyl lettering on the stern of my claret red 2013 C28 and there was a significant shadow. I recently wet sanded, compounded, polished and waxed the hull. Its much improved but you can still see it if you know where to look.
Patrick Quinn
quinsky

City: Murrells Inlet
State/Province: SC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Compass Rose
MMSI Number: 338302374

Postby scross on Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:00 am

“Our Journey” is the third name for our 2009 RT25 Classic. The original name, “Patriot”, is still somewhat visible despite lots and lots of rubbing and polishing compound. I see it because I know where to look.
The original name was on the boat’s dark blue hull for the first four years. We put the new name’s graphics over the original “Patriot” graphics which helped to hide the shadow. Oddly our boat’s second name, which was in place for two years, did not leave any shadow after the rubbing compound treatment.
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Non-Ranger Model: 1984 Addictor 190
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Postby bigdealsam on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:29 pm

bob daily wrote:Bigdealsam

Thanks Bob. I purchased no 7 compound and will commence to rubbing soon. I appreciate the advice. Sam
bigdealsam

Postby bigdealsam on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:32 pm

Update - Stickers now removed from both the port and starboard. Also removed the state required registration numbers from both sides as well as "Coldwater MS" from the stern.

Shadowing is absolutely present however I intend to give her a good coating of No.7 compound over the holiday.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Sam
bigdealsam

Postby bob daily on Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:07 pm

Sam
I forgot to tell you that a little bit of alcohol on the side will make the job a lot more tolerable and you will want to send mom to the hardware store for a second can, as you'll wind up doing the whole boat and a bottle of Meguiar's cleaner wax to Finnish off with!
Good luck Shipmate. Bob
bob daily

City: Kennewick
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Scuttlebutt

Postby YukonRon on Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:56 pm

bob daily wrote:Sam
I forgot to tell you that a little bit of alcohol on the side will make the job a lot more tolerable

I guess that would be "rubbing alcohol" :D
Ron & Barb
Whitehorse, Yukon
Yukon Ranger
2013 R25sc
YukonRon

City: Whitehorse
State/Province: YT
Vessel Name: Yukon Ranger
MMSI Number: 316023451

Postby Brian B on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:35 am

Be careful how you use that rubbing compound with a buffer, don't get too aggressive or you will damage the gelcoat. I think you will always see the shadowing for a long time.
I use the 3M Rubbing Compound, followed by 3M Finesse IT followed by Collonite boat wax on my blue hull. Takes time but when it's done she looks almost new and she is 9 years old tomorrow.
Brian B

City: West Warwick
State/Province: RI
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Next

Return to Chat