smoothness of ride at high speeds

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

smoothness of ride at high speeds

Postby Sally-w on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:13 am

How does a Ranger Cat 27 compare to a catamaran such as World Cat of the same size for a smooth ride at higher speeds? I have been on motorboats that were bone jarring when driven fast.
Sally-w

City: Punta Gorda
State/Province: FL
Non-Ranger Model: Gemini 105
Vessel Name: Al Lee Cat

Re: smoothness of ride at high speeds

Postby Matty on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:39 am

I would be surprised if anyone on this site knew the answer to your question since these are tugs not cats.
Matty

City: New Smyrna Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: IN THE FALL (2018)

Postby Chimo on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:44 pm

Matty wrote:I would be surprised if anyone on this site knew the answer to your question since these are tugs not cats.

A perfect response to a question that is totally open-ended in scope. :lol:
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

City: Sidney
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Chimo
MMSI Number: 316033437

Postby stwendl on Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Assuming you refer to a rangers tug and not a cat you will find it rides a lot better. I have done the comparison some time ago and while I usually do not get sick on boats that small cat was horrible. Cats really shine when the beam is wide but if you have a 8-10ft beam and then I would not consider it a cat, more like monohull with groove
Difference between RVers and Boaters:
RVers move until they reach water, Boaters move until they reach land.
Ranger Tug owners can do both :)
stwendl

City: palo alto
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Cataleya

Postby Chimo on Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:36 pm

As mentioned, it's a totally open question and the 2 boats are simply not comparable. A 266 World Cat with twin 200 HP outboards is still a semi-displacement hull with a top speed somewhere between 50 and 55 mph depending on loading, water conditions etc.. Certainly nothing that could be considered "high-speed" but also not comparable with either Ranger or Cutwater. A better comparison would be perhaps with a Grady White or a Boston Whaler monohull at the same speed and then perhaps a 3 foot chop. The Cat is likely to be of smoother ride but has a tendency to sneeze at times.
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

City: Sidney
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Chimo
MMSI Number: 316033437

Postby crowleykirk on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:27 am

Best bet is to sea trial both. I've asked this question here before about the Aspen Cats and was grilled on TN that I worked for Aspen:-) Remember this is a "Ranger Tug" forum.
So... take that with a grain a salt and when you're ready to purchase all manufactures will gladly take you on a sea trial:-)
Even if you're interested in buying used, a sea trial is a must.

You can also do a charter if you can find the boat you are interested in with a charter fleet. In Anacortes there is Anacortes Yachts charters, they have several RT's in their fleet, not sure if they have a Cat though.
Good luck, love to hear how that all goes for you. I'm interested in lots of boats, not just RT. But my wife and I really like the R29.
crowleykirk

City: Mammoth Lakes
Vessel Name: Kirk Williams

Postby crowleykirk on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Looked at Anacortes Yacht Charters. They now have an Aspen CAT C90 for charter. So if you're in the PNW you can always charter a Ranger and an Aspen. Take them out for a couple days or more and I think you'd get a really good idea of which you like. I'm sure it's not cheap but either is a boat purchase. Research is key. You want to be happy with your purchase. My wife and I talked to AYC last year and plan on doing a charter this year on a Ranger 29. We are doing a part time move to FH this year and hoping to make a boat purchase next year. FH might become a full time home, time will tell:-)

Good luck.
crowleykirk

City: Mammoth Lakes
Vessel Name: Kirk Williams

Return to Chat