R-21EC Plucking the eyebrow

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

R-21EC Plucking the eyebrow

Postby TugScout on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:32 am

Hi Gang,

The color on my cabin visor has begun to fade and I thought I’d pull it off and give it a good rubbing out and wax to restore it to its natural beauty. It looks pretty straight forward, but I figured I’d check with the wisdom of the group and see if there is anything I should be concerned about.

It looks like the navigation lights will remain on their colored bases and not need to be disconnected once the screws are removed. Once finished I’ll put a dab of 3M 4200 sealer on each screw when putting the eyebrow back on.

Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks,
Mark
TugScout

City: Stanwood
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Scout (2016)
MMSI Number: 338326234

Re: R-21EC Plucking the eyebrow

Postby lproulx on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:58 am

I Mark,

I have a '14, red, on which the visor has seriously chalked and deteriorated. As long as you are going to the trouble of removing it, I would consider painting it before replacing it. I know mine is way beyond help from wax or rubbing compound.

Larry
lproulx

City: Marblehead
State/Province: MA
Non-Ranger Model: 26 foot sailboat
Vessel Name: Seaductress

Postby TugScout on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:25 pm

I hadn't thought about paining it. My assumption was that it was colored gelcoat and it would buff out. It may just be painted to begin with in which case repainting would make sense. I'll look closer when I'm on the boat on Sunday. Thanks for the suggestion.
TugScout

City: Stanwood
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: Scout (2016)
MMSI Number: 338326234

Postby knotflying on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:28 am

The UV wreaks havoc on the eyebrows. A painting with Awlgrip would be the way to go. As much as I like the challenge of DIY, finding someone who does it professionally would be my suggestion.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Return to Chat