Looking For Your Feedback

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Postby The Doghouse 2 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:11 pm

My fellow Tugnuters here in the Puget Sound / Salish Sea region, I'm looking for your input.

I'm looking for your favorite marinas in the San Juans, Gulf Islands and points farther north. We all appreciate good moorage conditions, good dock hands when needed, clean facilities and a interesting town with points of interest, good restaurants and stores for provisioning, all within walking distance.

Cap Sante in Anacortes, Port of Skagit in LaConner, Friday Harbor and Roche Harbor are all great US ports, and Ganges, Port Browning, Montague Harbor and Poets Cove are all great ports in Canada.

So, what marinas have captivated your interest and secured your return visit? For us, it's probably Ganges for it's nice island town atmosphere and provisioning after clearing Customs, but Montague Harbor and that wacky bus ride is a hoot!

Cheers,

Bob & Kim
The Doghouse 2
Last edited by The Doghouse 2 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Doghouse 2

City: Lake Stevens
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2019 Hunter Green R27-OB w/ Suzuki 300
Vessel Name: The Doghouse 2
MMSI Number: 368050260

Re: Looking For Your Feedback

Postby BradOwens on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:13 pm

We really like Coupeville on Whidbey Island. Also Lopez Island Marina. Kingston is GREAT, but a little far south.

My absolute favorite is Victoria, B.C. but you need a good weather window. Last time we went it was flat calm going over, but two days later coming back it was very rough on the Straits of Juan de Fuca.
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby Spinner on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:34 am

There are too many great stops to describe! If you don’t have a copy of the latest Waggoner Guide, pick one up. The descriptions are accurate and detailed. I drool over mine and get ideas for next season’s cruising!

If they haven’t been mentioned yet, Ladysmith (Vancouver Island), Telegraph Harbor (Thetis Island), and Wallace Island (it’s a BC State Park). Oh, and don’t forget Sydney Spit!
Sue Peterson
Current Nordic Tug 42 Spinner
Former R-31 Spinner
Elliott Bay Marina
Spinner

City: Bellevue
Non-Ranger Model: (Former RT31) Current 2003 Nordic Tug 42
Vessel Name: Spinner

Postby Cowichan on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:31 am

Some of our local fave’s are Cowichan Bay, Ladysmith Town and Harbour, Port of Sidney, Lyall Harbour. We live in Mill Bay a few doors away from the marina, a bit North of Victoria and a short trip to Butchart’s Gardens. All these options have great food opportunities and interesting situations.

Gordon.
Cowichan

City: Mill Bay
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-30 S
Vessel Name: Kinship

Postby The Doghouse 2 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I agree Waggoner Cruising Guide is a "must have" resource, and I use it religiously. However, I find those who have experienced a location firsthand, enjoying all the amenities it has to offer, is the best resource of all.

I am trying to package a "Marina Hop" float plan for the summer for my second Annual Roaming Rondy, which I started last year when I sold our SeaSport Explorer 2400 and bought our RT27-OB. I consider myself as being in a blended family of "fishers" and "cruisers", both great boats, and all northwest made!

So I'm hoping others out there still have their favorite marinas to share, and that come this summer, we can spend some time on the water, meeting up at your "fav"!

Cheers,

Bob & Kim
The Doghouse 2
The Doghouse 2

Postby Cutwater28GG on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:03 pm

For the puget sound I really like popping over to Poulsbo as its a great little town and there is plenty of dock space.

Port ludlow also makes a great weekend spot as does Roche harbor.
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby Whidbey Cruiser on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:45 pm

We like going to The Islander Resort in Fisherman's Bay (Lopez Island). The channel entrance is a little tricky but if you read your Waggoner's and pay attention to tides, it's not a problem. This place is the opposite of Roche or Rosario and is very modest and low key. The restaurant is surprisingly good and they typically have live bands and dancing on Friday and Saturdays. Makes for some late evenings ...
Whidbey Cruiser

City: Greenbank
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Pau Hana

Postby Red Raven on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Deer Harbor on Orcas Island is also a nice stop. Burgers, fish and chips, and Ice cream on the dock. They also have a small convenience store, laundry, and showers all on the dock. A limo will even come and pick you up to take you to the restaurant up the road!
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby baz on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:41 pm

Don't leave out Langley.... SOUTH WHIDBEY HARBOR AT LANGLEY
http://portofsouthwhidbey.com/facilities/south-whidbey-harbor-at-langley/

A few years back this marina was quite small and boats tightly packed in with empty spaces at times that were kind of difficult to get into for docking.... but having the RTs with bow/stern thrusters made it much easier.

This marina has added a newish section of dock on the outside of the original marina's break water and this makes it really easy to dock. Just call for a spot in advance.

Most of the time I've been there a golf cart service is available to get you up the very steep hill to the Langley town proper. This was a must for me in past times as pushing my 1st Mate up the steep hill in her wheel chair was a real challenge for me.... as well as having to hang onto her on the way down... :roll:

The Langley town has many shops; bakery, antique shops, groceries, cinema, art shops, clothing, police station, Pubs, Pizza, restaurants and lodgings are available.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Postby Aquadogs on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:25 pm

On the mainland side just south of the Sunshine Coast you have Bowen Island’s Union Steamship. It’s a great marina and Bowen Island is fun to explore with good restaurants and groceries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aquadogs

City: Vancouver
State/Province: BC
Non-Ranger Model: None as yet, hoping to own a ranger soon

Postby The Doghouse 2 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:00 pm

Good suggestions... thanks for your feedback!

If anybody else comes up with a favorite marina, please feel free to share. I would especially be interested in places on the way to Princess Louisa Inlet and Desolation Sound.

Cheers,

Bob & Kim
The Doghouse 2
The Doghouse 2

Postby Red Raven on Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:09 pm

For Princess Louisa the Backeddy Marina is a great place as a jumping off point. Great people, fuel, water and a great restaraunt with a top notch chef. Also, you can hike to Skookumchuck rapids which is a real treat to watch at max current. Just be should you are heading into the current when docking. It is the reverse of the current at Skookumchuck (hence the back eddy name!) and can be moving pretty good at the dock.

The John Henry Marina in Pender Harbor is also a nice little place. They also have fuel, water, supplies and a nice little restaraunt.

Curt
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby 10PoundHammer on Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Technically it’s not in the Gulf Islands but we often stay a couple of days at Port of Nanaimo when heading north from Sidney. Clean and well run civic marina and close to the heart of the old town, with interesting shops, pubs and restaurants and a lively (busy) boardwalk in summer. Provisions and fuel close by. Even better if you have a tender is to grab a mooring buoy across the channel off Newcastle island - very walkable with trails along the ocean and the park has washrooms with showers. There is a public dock as well - it’s not a marina but rather part of the marine park. Hit and miss in terms of getting a place to tie up especially on weekends and a bit too busy for our taste. A small foot ferry goes back and forth from the island to Nanaimo hourly I think. You get the best of both with the mooring buoys.

From Nanaimo you can cross the Strait south of Lasqueti and Texada (mindful to dogleg north of the Whiskey Golf test range if it’s active) if you’re going to Princess Louisa or Desolation. As noted it’s all about the weather before crossing the Strait so lots to keep you busy if you’re waiting for a window.

Certainly not a straight run as the crow flies from the US but an alternative if you’re not in a hurry and want to go through the Gulf Islands. Note you have to time slack at Dodd Narrrows if you are going through the Gulf Islands to Nanaimo.

Safe travels and welcome to Canada!
10PoundHammer

City: Chestermere
State/Province: AB
Non-Ranger Model: C30
Vessel Name: Grandpa's Hammer

Return to Chat