Tow vehicle size?

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Re: Tow vehicle size?

Postby scross on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:45 pm

Brian’s setup for weight distribution works because his aluminum frame trailer is rather unique. His trailer uses U channel main members, not the H shaped I-beam found on many aluminum trailers. Have not found a weight distribution system that will work, with trailer manufacturers blessing, on my aluminum I-beam trailer.
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Non-Ranger Model: 1984 Addictor 190
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Postby BB marine on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:32 am

PanaSeaAh wrote:Incidentally, if you are shopping trailers, crawl under anything with pretty aluminum wheels and look at the weight rating or air pressure max. on the back of the wheels. They will probably not be rated for the trailer they are mounted on.

Good point, after reading your post I questioned the aluminum wheel capacity on my trailer. I am repacking all the wheel bearings on the trailer and installing an up-graded double lip wheel seal. This gave me a chance to look at the wheel capacity. I knew my tires were rated at 2830lbs load range E, 80PSI. So slightly under the Axel rating by 340 lbs. Axel is a 6000lbs. The wheel weight capacity is located in a web of the wheel on the back side and rated same as the tires 2830lbs. So the wheels and tires are slightly under the Axel rating but more then adequate for the trailers 15000 lbs capacity. If I had a tandem Axel trailer with this wheel/tire combination it would be marginal for the load.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby William Thomas on Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:55 pm

This topic has come up many times over the years regarding truck size.
I have been towing "things"for along time and have always gone with the philosophy that bigger is better in a tow vehicle. Things happen when towing ,particularly in Mountain country that can stress out a tow vehicle that is just barely adequate for the towing job. In these situations its very comforting to know you have a truck that can handle the load.

For the last twenty years I have towed large rigs with Ford and Dodge Ram diesel dually trucks. Those four tires on the ground in the back hold the road like no two wheels can. I currently tow my CW 28 all over the country with a Ram Diesel dually four wheel drive, with no weight distribution hitch . I do have a class 5 set up . Truck tows the triple axle aluminum trailer and boat very well in all weather and terrain. I sometimes forget its back there,except when I am parking it!

As long as I am towing stuff ,it will be with a "big Diesel Dually truck"!

Bill T.
William Thomas

City: Gold Canyon
State/Province: AZ
Non-Ranger Model: Cut Water 28
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher

Postby tugnnaweigh on Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:50 pm

It's pretty easy to have not enough truck for whatever might arise, impossible to have too much truck in my opinion. I drive a 2003 F-450 Crew Cab 4 X 4 with an uncorked 7.3 Powerstroke. I've towed a R25 on a two and three axle trailer and now tow a R29 on a three axle trailer. I stay on top of trailer maintenance and tow cautiously and carefully.

In Boating things that happen on the water are inconvenient, we limp or get towed back where we started and dump a bunch of money into the issue. On land, things that happen risk lives, destroy property, might get us overload tickets.

If there's anything about Boating to get and keep right it's the unforgiving towing aspect.
tugnnaweigh

City: San Luis Obispo
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Slippn Inn

Postby Godspeed on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:14 pm

I am currently looking for a tow vehicle for my Cutwater 30S. I will be towing a limited number of miles and times around the Great Lakes (less than a 1000 miles a year) and one trip to FL and back from WI. I have found some good values in late model used F350 dual wheel 2 wheel drive trucks. My question is how often have other owners found that the boat ramps are either too steep or two slimy to pull out with a 2 wheel drive. Given the difference in cost between 2 and 4 wheel drives I could have the boat lifted on a trailer 12-15 times.

Any thoughts?

Brian
Godspeed

City: Oregon
State/Province: WI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-30 S
Vessel Name: Godspeed

Postby tugnnaweigh on Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:21 am

Too steep or too slimy? Every time. There's no such thing as a dry, gently sloping ramp. Your rear wheels are always in the slime zone at start of the retrieve and it's your front wheels that pull you out of that area then as the weight of the boat comes on to the trailer the rears bite gets better and better. Also, the four wheel low setting lets you just ease up the ramp, low speed, moderate RPM.

Go to a local ramp and watch the difference between the two wheel drives and the four by fours, likely the two wheedlers spin the rears some every time. Or search launch ramp fails on the YouTube.

There is a substantial difference in the cost of insurance no doubt.
tugnnaweigh

City: San Luis Obispo
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Slippn Inn

Postby 1Harrison on Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:06 am

Hi all.
We have a 1999 2500 Dodge with the Cummings Diesel. It has towed a r-25sc and you hardly knew the boat was there. It also has hauled 3000 lbs. of rock with no problem. The load leveling hitch is a good idea having towed large campers. However what I have not seen here is stopping ability addressed. Many 1/2 tons and most 3/4 ton trucks can pull the load, however stopping is another animal all it's own. Whatever you choose for a tow vehicle be sure it has a premium brake balance system. Nothing makes grey hair faster than a bad stopping experience. Oh by the way our Dodge is available for sale.
1Harrison

City: Port Ludlow
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: Lola B

Postby NorthernFocus on Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:35 am

1Harrison wrote:...Many 1/2 tons and most 3/4 ton trucks can pull the load, however stopping is another animal ...

Now you've done it.

Similar to discussing the benefits of 4WD/AWD on snowy/icy roads. Doesn't help you stop. Though in all fairness there is a little more directional control to choose where you will eventually come to rest.
Dan

Never confuse confidence for competence.
NorthernFocus

City: Wasilla
State/Province: AK
Vessel Name: Divine Focus

Postby Todd2 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:43 pm

Godspeed wrote:I am currently looking for a tow vehicle for my Cutwater 30S. I will be towing a limited number of miles and times around the Great Lakes (less than a 1000 miles a year) and one trip to FL and back from WI. I have found some good values in late model used F350 dual wheel 2 wheel drive trucks. My question is how often have other owners found that the boat ramps are either too steep or two slimy to pull out with a 2 wheel drive. Given the difference in cost between 2 and 4 wheel drives I could have the boat lifted on a trailer 12-15 times.

Any thoughts?

Brian

Hey Brian,

It can depend on where you live and the lakes you launch at. Towards the end of EVERY summer down in the deep south in 'relatively' shallow inland lakes, all the ramps would slime up horribly, even those used regularly. You couldn't even walk down them in the water without busting your.... As "kids", we didn't have a 4x4 so we'd often strap the tow vehicle to another vehicle farther up the ramp, where it was dry, to help "tow" us out with the boat (remember we were infallible at the time). It was absolutely a requirement at some ramps late in the summer, and it always worked flawlessly. But the locals loved to tell us about the last vehicle that sunk at the dock - and "don't try to launch here, blah, blah ......".

Anyway, now I have a 4x4 diesel for my R-27, and use 4x4 every time I launch or retrieve, even if just as a precaution (my tow truck cost a wee bit more than my $600.00 first car). It's still required if I launch off the limestone rocks at a local lake when the water is below the end of the ramps during dry spells. So, I guess what I'm saying is, don't automatically dismiss 4 wheel drive. You may wish you had it - at the most inopportune time - or just carry a long tow strap. ;) I'll yank you out (if you didn't put it in park and get out to check on your boat first :o ).

Todd
Todd2

City: Houston
State/Province: TX
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27

Postby scross on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:48 pm

As long as you only tow on dry pavement and never run into a moss or alge covered ramp 2 wheel drive is fine. For the rest of us 4x4 is pretty important. I use my 4x4 low setting every single time launching and retrieving as well as 4x4 high any time there’s water on the road while towing.
I do not want to be on local news!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1jbGy7eUaC8
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
State/Province: OR
Non-Ranger Model: 1984 Addictor 190
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470