Do you use your dingy?

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Do you use your dingy?

Postby vt97john on Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:04 pm

I’m new to boat ownership. Have a dingy with outboard motor on top of my R29. I have a feeling I won’t use it much (I’m mostly in the Chesapeake Bay). And it’s another thing to maintain. Maybe I’ll replace it with a kayak or two. How much do you all use a dingy and what sort of thing do you use it for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vt97john

City: Arlington
State/Province: VA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: TBD

Re: Do you use your dingy?

Postby scross on Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:20 pm

Having a dinghy was one of the main five reasons we sold our fast i/o cabin cruiser and bought a Ranger Tug.
The primary use for our dinghy is to get from the boat on the hook or at a mooring buoy to shore or to a nearby marina. Also use it to explore an area without having to move the boat. Last year we made about 30 round trips in the dinghy and covered approximately 15-20 miles exploring. IMHO having the dinghy greatly expands the places you can go with the boat as well as adding great experiences while cruising! Not sure if you could do all the things we do with our dinghy (e.g. hauling camping gear back and forth to shore or hauling big loads of groceries and ice back to the boat) with a kayak.
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Non-Ranger Model: 1984 Addictor 190
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Postby Red Raven on Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:40 pm

I’m with Al. The dinghy is indispensable. We often anchor and it is our only way off the boat. Add hauling laundry to his list of things to carry.

Of course our dinghy is on davits so is easy to launch and retrieve.

Curt
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby YukonRon on Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:53 pm

We also use our dinghy lots. We like to anchor out as much as we can, and enjoy going to shore for walks or exploring. Also for exploring the bay or cove we anchor in, and to do a bit of fishing, set crab or prawn traps, etc. We have a small Portland Pudgy and Torqeedo electric motor that we keep upright on the swim step davits for easy deployment. We also keep a small plastic kayak on the roof racks for exploring as well.
Ron & Barb
Whitehorse, Yukon
Yukon Ranger
2013 R25sc
YukonRon

City: Whitehorse
State/Province: YT
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Yukon Ranger
MMSI Number: 316023451

Postby fishheadbarandgrill on Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:07 am

You probably could get away without a dink in the bay as long as you are prepared to pay the docking rates. When we cruised the bay on our sailboat we used our dink in Annapolis (mooring ball), St Michaels (anchored out) and Hospital Point in Portsmouth (anchored out). If you don’t have a dog that needs twice dailey trips ashore, you might be able to live without it. Have you played with your davit system yet? I was wondering how that worked out having the dink on the roof rack and how much it interfered with the solar panel.
Bob Menches
2011 R29
SEA SHANTY
Southport, NC
fishheadbarandgrill

City: Southport
State/Province: NC
Vessel Name: Sea Shanty
MMSI Number: 368069690

Postby Wee Venture on Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:06 am

One more dinghy duty that is essential for many people, including us until very recently when we lost our 17 year old Australian Shepard, is to take the K9 crew member ashore 2 or 3 times a day when on the hook or mooring buoy. While I have seen dogs in kayaks, I am guessing it is a little more sketchy.
John & Suzanne Bachelor
Ranger R-31CB Wee Venture
Kenmore, WA
Wee Venture

City: Kenmore
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Wee Venture
MMSI Number: 368003370

Postby YukonRon on Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:09 am

Another good use for the dinghy is photography. We get lots of great scenery shots taken from the boat, but it's nice to change up the angles sometimes. I like to go out in the dinghy at anchor and get different shots of sunsets/sunrises, the mist rising off the water, the sun through the trees, etc. It's nice to get your own boat in the picture sometimes along with the surrounding scenery. It adds interest to your photo collection.
Not that I would buy and carry a dinghy just to take pictures, but you will find that when you have one handy you will find more ways to use it and get off your boat more often.
And another example comes to mind. During our last trip we spent a couple nights in port waiting out some wind, and met some other boaters who we shared cocktails with. Almost 2 weeks later we were settling into an anchorage for the night when those same new friends came in to anchor in the cove. We hailed them on the radio and jumped in the dinghy to buzz over for a visit. We had a great time together which we would have missed out on had we not had the dinghy handy.
Ron & Barb
Whitehorse, Yukon
Yukon Ranger
2013 R25sc
YukonRon

City: Whitehorse
State/Province: YT
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Yukon Ranger
MMSI Number: 316023451

Postby BradOwens on Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:11 pm

Another use for the dinghy, at least in some parts of the country, is to take a stern tie line to shore after anchoring or on some mooring buoys.
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby baz on Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:24 pm

Of course, one other reason for a dinghy is for using it as a life raft in the event of the boat sinking. :roll: This was the primary reason I bought a Portland Pudgy for my 2010 R-25 (Classic). My requirement was that the dinghy had to be USCG certified for 4 people, was unsinkable and with a Torqeedo electric motor could get me to shoreline that was within 20 miles of where my boat was at time of the emergency. I chose a Portland Pudgy in Senset Yellow so it was easily seen in the gray/white waters. The Torqeedo motor also provided GPS so my position could be conveyed to the USCG when required, although I always have an iCom waterproof/floatable handheld as well.

I thankfully never had to use the Portland Pudgy as an emergency life raft, and rarely used it for other purposes. It's weight was significant at around 200 lbs and being at the extreme aft location on the swim step it had a significant impact on fuel burn. Because of this I would leave it at my slip when going for short cruises on calm days.

Today, I prefer to have an inflatable SeaEagle kayak that holds 3 people easily (well at least two adults and a small child and small dog). It has a load capacity of around 650 lbs. With this I have the option of having it deflated and bagged and stowed easily on swim step or elsewhere, and for the R29 CB it can be left inflated and hung over the side of the upper bridge's port side rails. I have a battery operated inflater/deflater unit can can inflate the kayak in 5 minutes and as much time for deflating it. The SeaEagle Fastrack kayak weighs just under 30 lbs. I also have a small WaterSnake trolling motor that can be attached to the stern of the SeaEagle and powered with a 50 Ah Lithium battery that weighs in at 10 lbs. Total cost for this kayak and motor was just under $2,500 two years ago.

One other benefit for this SeaEagle kayak is that it's portable and can be stowed in a car and taken on trips to anywhere and deployed easily for water sports unrelated to boating, and of course can be left behind at the dock if not required for a boat cruise and requires little room for storage at the dockside.

One other consideration if one were to opt for the RT Dinghy option at time of purchasing a new boat from them is that the dinghy would cost some $5200 and along with a small outboard motor, another $1200. This sums to some $6500 for a decent dinghy. This cost then needs to be acceptable to you for the intended dingy's use.
Last edited by baz on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Postby knotflying on Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:47 pm

Having cruised both coasts I would say that a dingy on the west coast is much more important than the east coast. Of course your cruising style is important in making the decision on whether to have a dingy or not. If you are cruising and stopping overnight along the way and anchoring out with no dog then you definitely do not need a dingy on the east coast. You can always stop at marinas along the way and get fuel and supplies and do sightseeing at interesting points of interest. We have often traveled with other tug owners who have a dingy and when anchored out together they came over to our boat or took us into shore. Many mooring fields have launches in season and paying to go in and back is also an option. So as always, pick your poison. Since you already have the equipment try it for a while without using it and then decide.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby Larry H on Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:01 pm

YukonRon,

I am interested in the Portland Pudgy as a dingy on my R-27 Classic. Did you install the Weaver Davit mounts yourself, or did you use the factory installed mounting pads for the Weaver mounts? Do you have the stern rails on your swim step?

Do you have any photos of the dingy stored on the swim step?

Thanks
Larry H
2014 R-27
Jacari Maru
Larry H

City: Tulalip
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru

Postby baz on Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:15 pm

Larry H wrote:YukonRon,

I am interested in the Portland Pudgy as a dingy on my R-27 Classic. Did you install the Weaver Davit mounts yourself, or did you use the factory installed mounting pads for the Weaver mounts? Do you have the stern rails on your swim step?

Do you have any photos of the dingy stored on the swim step?

Thanks

Larry: Here's my photo Album for my Portland Pudgy that I installed on my R25 Classic a number of years ago. I used the Davits that we're included with the Pudgy and installed them myself directly onto the swim step. I used a 4:1 block and tackle to raise/lower the ~200 lb Pudgy and always secured it leaning onto the transom rails with a good latched holding strap. It had to be raised to a vertical position when I wished to fuel up and pump out the holding tank.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B1AJr1PPdJPjUlD
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Larry H on Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:56 am

Barry,

Thank you for the photos. I like the looks of the Portland Pudgy, and I have reviewed the online videos.

Do you still have the boat and Torqeedo motor? Was it a useful dingy to carry?

I have a Highfield aluminum bottom RIB with a Yamaha 6hp motor. The boat performs well, and will hit 13 knots with just me aboard. I really don't like the inflatable part and it is not comfortable for me to ride in.
Larry H
2014 R-27
Jacari Maru
Larry H

City: Tulalip
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru

Postby baz on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Larry:

To be honest I rarely used the Pudgy. My initial requirement for a dinghy was simply to have a sea worthy dinghy to escape with in the event of an emergency within 20 miles of land. In retrospect knowing now how safe the RT models are I would not invest in such a dinghy. Today, I've opted for a decent inflatable kayak that can either be onboard with me and stored inflated or deflated in its bag, or left at home when not needed. The boat's stern view with this 'dinghy solution' is thus relieved from being blocked and this is an important consideration for the RT29 S/CB model with its flip-over transom seat. The kayak is a good alternative for me is it's a cost saver and lessens the burden a weighty dinghy can have on the boat's performance. The Kayak can of course be used for non-boating events as it can be easily stored in a car and driven to some inland lake or river resort.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby SummerSteve on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:38 pm

As Chesapeake boaters - We use our dinghy very frequently! We love to anchor out - even just for day trips, and dinghy to restaurants, the beach, or just putt around sightseeing... Waterside bars and restaurants usually have a dinghy dock - and Annapolis has dinghy tie-ups at the end of many streets!. Even when paying for an overnight slip, sometimes the dinghy is useful for getting to places on the "far side" of a harbor... (Think St. Michaels!) We keep the Highfield Aluminum RIB on davits - easy to pull up and drop down with just the rope we use as a tender threaded through one of the far handles. The toughest part is putting on and taking off the 4 HP yamaha - in hindsite, I would opt for either a torqueedo or a 2.5 - the 4 only gets it on a plane in ideal conditions with just one passenger... so a 2.5 would be lighter and easier...
SummerSteve

City: Baltimore
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-26
Vessel Name: Seamonkeys

Next

Return to Chat