Annual maintenance

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Annual maintenance

Postby dbashJ56 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:16 pm

Ahoy there Tugnuts! I am just curious about annual maintenance costs for your Volvo Penta engines and opinions about what to do etc. We just accomplished our first oil change/service appointment, and it was nearly $1k!! Is that normal? WE were not given an estimate before hand, so had no clue about the cost, but went to someone locally who is trusted by other boating friends. It took him 3.5 hrs. @ $112/hr. for labor. Just curious what y'all are doing...? We are not mechanical and doing it ourselves is out of the question. We have a 2018 RT 31CB, and this was the first work we have had done for service/maintenance.

Thank you ,
Debbie Jones
dbashJ56

City: Bellingham
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Hillary Leigh

Re: Annual maintenance

Postby Cutwater28GG on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:54 pm

yes thats close to normal for a service.

many owners do the regular oil change themselves. its not that hard.

I for one, prefer to pay others to replace the impeller which is a damn pain to service
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby NautiTug on Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:35 pm

Yes paid approximately $850 for oil and transmission change on D4 260 in NJ last fall. Will most likely do them myself going forward.

I am still deciding if i will pay for someone to do the impeller change in the spring. Would love if someone with a D4 could shoot a video of their impeller change! I am a visual learner.

Here is a good video on D4 fuel and oil change.
----------------------------------------------
2017 Cutwater 28
No Reservations
Monmouth Boat Club
Red Bank, NJ
NautiTug

City: Little Silver
State/Province: NJ
Vessel Name: No Reservations

Postby baz on Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:45 pm

I don't have my 2019 RT29 CB yet, but from what I know the oil/filer changes can be easily done as DIY. Basically, you will save the labor cost for doing this. The oil can be sucked out via the dip stick tube with a hand pump or a more sophisticated electrical pump. I've done this on previous RT Diesel engines and it was very straight forward; simply have to be patient while the 'sucking oil' process is being done. Oil and parts can be obtained from RT or elsewhere.

The impeller replacement is and should be quite straight forward from what I've discussed with others who have the Volvo D4. It's easy as the access to the impeller housing is reasonable. Parts can be obtained from RT or elsewhere.

However, I await to see if other owners of the D4 engine who have done their DIY servicing confirm what I've mention here.
Barry & Jake (Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB IoM LAXEY, Hero Red Delivery Feb/Mar 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: TBD......

Postby dbashJ56 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:35 pm

Thank you for your input. We will never be DIY'ers as my husband is 6'3" and it is difficult for him to maneuver near the engine, thus preferring to hire others!
Debbie
dbashJ56

Postby dbashJ56 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:53 pm

Another question: When you are referring to the "impeller" change, ism that the same as a "Breather Insert, crankcase"???? because I see no other mention of anything related to an "impeller" that you mention? Another name? I so appreciate your input and information!

Debbie
dbashJ56

Postby asm777 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:35 pm

Hi Debbie,

You'll probably have the impeller changed next year? I just looked over service records and don't think our Volvo service techs have ever replaced the impeller in the last 3 years though unless I'm just not seeing it on the invoices.

If you have your serial number handy, you can download the Volvo manual and "Service Protocol" to have for reference here:
https://www.volvopenta.com/marineleisur ... books.html

I checked my "Maintenance Schedule" that I had downloaded back in 2015 from the Volvo website and it only showed "Seawater pump impeller - Inspection" every year or 200 hours. I didn't see anything about Replacement.

However, I just downloaded this "Service Protocol" from the link above which clearly states to replace the Impeller in seawater pump every 24 months or 200 hours.

Anyway, your cost seems inline with what we've experienced... though I've learned to ask for an estimate beforehand and question anything that seems off (one year, the estimate was for 2 engines... I reminded them that my boat only has 1! :lol: )

But looks like our maintenance this year will be EXTRA expensive! Year 4 shows replacements for: 1) exhaust hose, 2) drive belts, 3) compressor oil, 4) rudder actuator, oil, 5) Coolant (2x?) on top of the regular annual service! :shock:
asm777

City: Los Angeles
State/Province: CA
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 30CB

Postby trailertrawlerkismet on Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:23 pm

Debbie: One suggestion for you to save funds on your service work is to purchase the oil, filters, impellers, zincs etc yourself and have aboard your boat. This way you can shop for the best prices at your convenience and only have to address the labor involved. Besides it’s always a good idea to have, in my opinion, most of the replacement items on board as you never know when you’ll need to use them and or if they’d be available where you are. I’d add to the items I mentioned above spade fuses, engine breaker fuses, belts, fuel filters for both the engine and generator (if you have one).

Jim
Jim & Lisa FavorsR29S Kismet
info@trailertrawlerlife.com
http://www.trailertrawlerlife.com
http://favorsgreatloopblog.com
http://boatus.com/cruising/kismet/log.asp
trailertrawlerkismet

City: Traverse City
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: (2018) Kismet

Postby BaylorU on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:57 pm

Debbie,
I wonder if you could simply pay someone to install a remote oil change system at about the cost of one of those oil changes. Then you have an easily-accessible, convenient way to change the oil even if your husband is tall!
A nice Reverso oil change pump system is about $500, plus a couple hundred bucks for a remote oil filter system, and you could make very easy work out of this. I wold bet you can get a competent installer to get it all in there for a couple hundred bucks, so your all-in cost is less than $1K!
Fair Seas,
Ken
M/V Grace
2012 Cutwater 26
BaylorU

City: Arvada
State/Province: CO
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-26
Vessel Name: Grace

Postby dbashJ56 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:16 pm

Thank you all for all the great suggestions! We are taking it all in, while we are staying at home and not venturing out in the wind chill temp of 15*...
Debbie
dbashJ56

Postby tugnnaweigh on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:32 pm

While I am a strong proponent of DIY as the savings on labor more than pays for the parts you are on the right course in thinking a boat is nowhere to begin your DIY endeavors; far far too many chances for injury and also mistakes that cause expensive damage. Finally, the memory of cutting a check likely fades far faster than memories of time spent in the bilge.

In getting estimates you’ll be surprised how close boatyards are to each other, labor rates and times are similar. Me, I don’t go the with cheapest when I’m having boatyard work done, I’ll use the guy in the middle and of course now there’s Yelp.

Someone said save by supplying your own parts and that also lets you control the quality of said parts, Parts Richard is the guy to see. I carry all the usual plus an alternator and raw water pump.

In a perfect world I would be able to own a boat, pay someone for all maintenance and repairs on said boat and have enough money to actually go boating on said boat but the reality is I can only afford two out of the three.
tugnnaweigh

City: San Luis Obispo
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Slippn Inn

Postby Cutwater28GG on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:37 pm

also if you are having someone come in and change the oil filters once a year anyway have them change the impeller. its cheap insurance on a single engine boat...
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Return to Chat