Wireless Headset

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Wireless Headset

Postby bill j on Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:34 pm

Looking to find a pair of wireless headsets so I can converse with the captain when deploying and pulling anchor. Any suggestions on where to find them and what to look for? Thanks - Bill
bill j

City: belton
State/Province: TX
Non-Ranger Model: CUTWATER 26
Vessel Name: OVERDUE

Re: Wireless Headset

Postby Bruce Moore on Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:50 pm

We have a pair of Eartec UL2S and love them. Very comfortable and secure. Good sound. It's nice to talk in a normal voice. The single over-the-ear design is our preference. We used to have a lighter set which were similar to this model that required a wired hub attached somewhere to your clothing, but much prefer the UL25.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bruce and Vicki
R-41 Bridge - Hull #4 - Jan-Feb - name TBD
Seattle, WA
Bruce Moore

City: Seattle
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Non-Ranger Model: SSBN 658 Mariano G. Vallejo
Vessel Name: MoonShadow (2014)
MMSI Number: 367598350

Postby Burlington on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:03 pm

We purchased a pair of Eartec UL2S last April. Best investment every! Excellent quality, great sound and agree - over the head with one ear coverage is the only way to go.
Scott
Burlington

City: Burlington
State/Province: ON
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Non-Ranger Model: Take delivery in December
Vessel Name: Stoney Lake Explorer

Postby Gin on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:43 pm

We are on our second set of Eartec headsets. Our first were the wired models -- wires ran from the headsets to wireless receivers that you had to wear on a belt or attach to you somehow. They worked reasonably well, but the wires were a bit of a pain. We now have the UL2S, which are fully wireless. A big improvement. They have proven more reliable (syncing up, etc) as well. I agree with the others -- they are great to have, and a worthy investment!

The Eartecs are kind of big and bulky, though. At the Seattle boat show, I saw bluetooth wireless headsets made by Sena on display. I had heard about them recently from a fellow local boater who got a pair for Christmas. He opted for them over the Eartecs. The Senas are smaller and lighter, which is appealing. I don't have any experience with them, though, and the Amazon reviews look less positive. Still, if I were purchasing anew today, before getting the Eartecs, I would want to check out the Senas as well because of the more compact size. The cost, off-hand, looks pretty comparable. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/Sena-SPH10-10-Outdoor-Bluetooth-Intercom/dp/B0087NB2OU
Gin

City: Salem
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Echo (2013)

Postby baz on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:02 pm

The Sena SPH10-10 units are half the price of the Eartec UL2S units.
Barry & Jake (Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB IoM LAXEY, Hero Red Delivery Feb/Mar 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: TBD......

Postby Gin on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:42 pm

The price on Amazon for the Sena (about $170) is for one headset only. So a pair would be $340. A pair of the Eartecs on Amazon are about $385, making for about a $45 difference.

But it’s always worth shopping around. Maybe both prices can be bettered. I know the Eartec price can be. Fisheries Supply sells a pair of them for $335. And if you have a Fisheries membership, they are $327.60. :D. Either way, cheaper than the Senas. Fisheries Supply is great to deal with.
Gin

City: Salem
State/Province: OR
Vessel Name: Echo (2013)

Postby rehurst on Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:25 pm

We have the old flimsy Eartec models that we were always concerned would go swimming while docking. Have been looking at the dual headset ones because of the continuous noise in the cabin from the turbo (R-29C). Don't know how comfortable they would be for prolonged wearing. Also the battery time is only so-so if you are going on a long cruise.
rehurst

City: Lacey
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Feisty too

Postby FlagShip on Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:45 pm

We have a pair of the Sena Expands (current version of the SPH10?). Very happy with them, they wrap around the back of your head so you can still wear a hat (Ranger Tug hat of course). We've found them indispensable with docking and anchoring, no yelling, just clear communication.
FlagShip

City: Snohomish
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: FlagShip

Postby S@LTD on Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:24 am

We have the eartec’s and they work great. Some of the feedback was limited battery life but we are diligent about turning them off and removing battery packs when not in use. It’s been a non issue after a year. Wind noise is not an issue either and has a good range of about a 1/4 mile for coordinating with the truck around the ramp. We initially tried the Sena’s and they were not that durable for us (broke around the ear piece) so we returned them.
Scott and Lil Thiede
Dynamic Duo
S@LTD

City: Newcastle
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: 2004 Nautique 196
Vessel Name: Dynamic Duo (2018)
MMSI Number: 368038780

Postby knotflying on Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:06 am

bill j wrote:Looking to find a pair of wireless headsets so I can converse with the captain when deploying and pulling anchor. Any suggestions on where to find them and what to look for? Thanks - Bill

Had headsets. We found that hand signals worked much better.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby TexasEye on Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:14 am

Yep, but some of those hand signals can be "Politically Incorrect"
TexasEye

City: Athens
State/Province: AL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic

Postby Connerkip on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:33 pm

I’ve been using Bluetooth earphones through our phones. Just call the other phone, answer with the headset, and leave the phone inside the boat. One Can talk through the headset, and hear.

At the helm, you wouldn’t need a headset, just put the phone on hands free speaker, no headset.

Very inexpensive solution.
Kip Conner
Connerkip

City: Punta Gorda
State/Province: FL
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 30 (2014)
Vessel Name: Going Coastal

Return to Chat