Newbie, doing research

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Newbie, doing research

Postby Mr. Ed on Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:41 am

Ahoy folks-

Apologies in advance for the long introduction...

Although I've been boating most of my life, I've never had a cruising boat or anything bigger than a 25' sailboat. Several runabouts and smaller sailboats, paddle boats, etc., but nothing with an inboard engine capable of cruising. Crewed on a couple of offshore charter sailboat deliveries. Boy, do I have some stories.

For more than 40 years I've had a dream of getting a trawler and spending time cruising the Chesapeake Bay, the ditch and coastal waters, as well as more adventurous destinations. I've been to lots of boat shows, watched hundreds of youtube videos, and even with all that, I realize that the rest of the iceberg of knowledge is just outside my grasp... so far.

I first fell in love with trawlers with the Nordhavn. Heck, who wouldn't? Fantasized about those for more than a decade before accepting the reality that it just isn't suited to what I want to do, never mind that it was financially out of reach. Coming back to reality, two boat brands really stood out, the Ranger and the Nordic. The Nordic tugs don't some in a size that works for me (like Goldilocks, either too big or small), but the Ranger 29S and 31S really look like they'd be perfect matches for the cruising I want to do, most of which will be solo.

My time frame to take delivery is likely two years from now. I'm told there is a one year backlog at the factory, and I won't be ready financially much before two years. So there's plenty of time to get my ducks in a row.

My first problem is that I have spent zero time on anything that resembles one of these boats. I wouldn't buy a car or truck without a demo, and while that might work for a vehicle, it won't be enough for a potential live aboard boat. This is going to be a huge investment (for me, anyway), and I don't want to make a gigantic mistake.

So, what I'm hoping to find is a place to learn as much as possible now so that I can plan accordingly, and anticipating that this forum will provide lots of good info. Thanks in advance for all your help!
Mr. Ed

City: Edgewater
State/Province: MD

Re: Newbie, doing research

Postby bob daily on Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:04 pm

Ed
Just a thought why not reach out to Tug owners in your area and offer to be a first mate/fishing partner. I'm sure lots of time they would enjoy the company, and help with maintenance items,
(Misery loves company).
There are times that old guys like me want to be on there boats and due to other commitment find themselves alone, most owners love to share there knowledge, and the help with a few maintenance items, wouldn't hurt if you brought some beer too!
Good luck
bob daily

City: Kennewick
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Scuttlebutt

Postby baz on Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:14 pm

bob daily:

That's not a bad idea at all.... great suggestion IMO.

Along these lines I wonder if a separate forum named "Boat Rides & Help needed" be setup. This would be a place where Tugnutters could post saying they're going out on a day trip, fishing trip, crab potting, small cruise, need a 2nd-hand to help with doing some maintenance chore, etc and date/time for doing this. Others could chime in to offer help or say they're interested to meet up.

Want help changing oil/filter, replacing raw water impeller, help with crabbing and hauling pots, let's go for lunch at a nearby marina location might be attractive to some Tug owners and/or potential owners.

I have to think that many Tugnutters would love to share their boating experiences or simply need help/advice from others who are nearby. I cannot count the number of times I've been down at my Marina and have had other boaters call over to give them a hand doing something; sometimes a trivial task and at times ones that last for several hours.
Last edited by baz on Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB IoM LAXEY, Hero Red Delivery Mar 27, 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: TBD......

Postby Mr. Ed on Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:49 pm

bob daily wrote:Ed
Just a thought why not reach out to Tug owners in your area and offer to be a first mate/fishing partner. I'm sure lots of time they would enjoy the company, and help with maintenance items,
(Misery loves company).
There are times that old guys like me want to be on there boats and due to other commitment find themselves alone, most owners love to share there knowledge, and the help with a few maintenance items, wouldn't hurt if you brought some beer too!
Good luck

Hi Bob-
Gee, that's kind of what I had in mind... just wanted to sneak up on it and let folks get to know me first. I'm more than willing to lend a hand with maintenance, food and fuel, and whatever else needs to be done.

It might have helped if I posted that I live in the Annapolis area.
Last edited by Mr. Ed on Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Ed

Postby BradOwens on Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:03 pm

You can charter a Ranger Tug in the Pacific Northwest. Check out Anacortes Yacht Charters. Although more expensive than going out with another owner, it would give you a week or more of using the boat on your own.
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby Bruce Moore on Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:25 pm

Consider getting to know the folks at Pocket Yacht Company in Grasonville. They can introduce you to the boats and tell you about the highly recommended Factory Delivery program.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bruce and Vicki
R-41 Bridge - Hull #4 - Coming soon! - name TBD
Seattle, WA
Bruce Moore

City: Seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Non-Ranger Model: SSBN 658 Mariano G. Vallejo
Vessel Name: MoonShadow (2014)
MMSI Number: 367598350

Postby Mr. Ed on Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:07 pm

Bruce Moore wrote:Consider getting to know the folks at Pocket Yacht Company in Grasonville. They can introduce you to the boats and tell you about the highly recommended Factory Delivery program.

Cheers,

Bruce

Thanks, Bruce. I stopped by there a few days ago and met John and Christina. Super nice folks! Christina agreed that the factory delivery was well worthwhile, and that definitely is something I will do when the time comes. Thanks especially for the links. I've already had them bookmarked for several days now, but it's very much appreciated when folks take the trouble to do that. So thanks again, sir!
Mr. Ed

Postby Mr. Ed on Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:08 pm

BradOwens wrote:You can charter a Ranger Tug in the Pacific Northwest. Check out Anacortes Yacht Charters. Although more expensive than going out with another owner, it would give you a week or more of using the boat on your own.

Thanks, Brad. I'll keep that option in mind! I didn't know it would be available, but it makes sense.
Mr. Ed

Postby SgtAlf on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Mr. Ed,
I purchased my R-23 from John at Pocket Yacht Company. Super great guy, and have nothing but nice to say about them. Service is top notch. Questions are answered quickly too.
I plan to splash in April during Spring break. March can't get here quick enough, I've got chores to do!
There's a bunch of 29's and 31's down your way, I'm sure someone will want to show off their boat and help you along. If not, I can give you a taste, if you don't mind coming to NJ. The R-23 is not what your looking for, but it does have similar features.
I suspect the next 2 years will be the slowest of your life! Good Luck!
Tony & Kathy
R-23 Sea Holli
Jackson, NJ
SgtAlf

City: JACKSON
State/Province: NJ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Sea Holli
MMSI Number: 338303803

Postby Mr. Ed on Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:31 pm

SgtAlf wrote:Mr. Ed,
I purchased my R-23 from John at Pocket Yacht Company. Super great guy, and have nothing but nice to say about them. Service is top notch. Questions are answered quickly too.
I plan to splash in April during Spring break. March can't get here quick enough, I've got chores to do!
There's a bunch of 29's and 31's down your way, I'm sure someone will want to show off their boat and help you along. If not, I can give you a taste, if you don't mind coming to NJ. The R-23 is not what your looking for, but it does have similar features.
I suspect the next 2 years will be the slowest of your life! Good Luck!

Thanks, Tony! You're right that the 23 isn't what I'm looking for, but I very much appreciate your kind offer. You're also right in your assessment that the next two years will take forever.
Mr. Ed

Postby Mr. Ed on Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:53 pm

I 'might' be getting closer, sooner than I expected. :shock:

Let me fine tune some of my questions.

For those of you who own the R31S, is there any option that you either wish you had included, or not included in your build? Anything you'd do differently? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Mr. Ed

Postby Mr. Ed on Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:58 pm

I was able to view the R31-S in the water this week, and fell in love... naturally!

Planning to sign the paperwork this coming Monday to get one in the production queue.

What do you folks do for curtains in the salon? It's pretty exposed, and it might be nice to have some privacy.

Also interested in screens for the doorway to the cockpit. I've seen some of the residential screens for sliding glass doors that close with magnets in the center, and maybe that's the best option. what are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mr. Ed
Mr. Ed

Postby Spinner on Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi, you are going to love the 31S (that was my previous boat). Unless things have changed, there are curtains or covers for all windows:-)
Sue Peterson
Current Nordic Tug 42 Spinner
Former R-31 Spinner
Elliott Bay Marina
Spinner

City: Bellevue
Non-Ranger Model: (Former RT31) Current 2003 Nordic Tug 42
Vessel Name: Spinner

Postby boatbrain on Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:04 pm

I like this tread, although I’m a little bias or I should say boat less at the moment.

The foreseeable future looks like my wife, Marixa and I will be doing the charter thing. like we did last year, Nimble Nomad on the Erie canal, very enjoyable and memorable, and a charter out of Norwalk. I know that might be sideline this year Marixa is 4 ½ months pregnant, :0) so she is thinking less about the water under the keel and more about the water…

So with bob daily's thought in mind to reach out to Tug owners in my area and offer to be a first mate/fishing partner, or to owners who love to share there knowledge, or need help with a few maintenance items.

Any south CT owners who would like an extra hand getting their baby (Ranger or Cutwater) ready for the upcoming season, I would be more than happy to help with whatever is needed. Just let me know. Got beer / wine too.

Thanks.
boatbrain

City: greenwich
State/Province: CT
Non-Ranger Model: sunfish, seafarer 29

Return to Chat