Anyone add/mount other items to their mast?

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Anyone add/mount other items to their mast?

Postby Eastside3 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:34 pm

I’m curious what other customizations some of you may have made where mounting something on the mast was necessary. Cameras, additional lights, etc.... if so what did you add and how did you go about mounting it?
I’m looking o add a camera to my 29CB right after it’s built.
Dan
Former boat: Robalo R227, name “Pira-Sea”
Being built: 2020 Ranger R-29 CB, name TBD, Hero Red
Woodinville Wa
Eastside3

City: Woodinville
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: Robalo R227
Vessel Name: PiraSea

Re: Anyone add/mount other items to their mast?

Postby baz on Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:09 pm

I will add a radar reflector for added 'comfort' to ensure other boats can detect my boat's presence. :roll:

This is what I will use as I already have it from my previous boats.

Tri-Lens Radar Reflector...
https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/27_16/features/4567-1.html
https://www.westmarine.com/west-marine--tri-lens-radar-reflectors--P008_243_005_500 no longer sold by WM.

Also, may install a Hailer horn to yell out at dock hands. :lol:
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB IoM LAXEY, Hero Red Delivery Mar 27, 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: TBD......

Postby ixlr8 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:36 am

baz wrote:I will add a radar reflector for added 'comfort' to ensure other boats can detect my boat's presence. :roll:

This is what I will use as I already have it from my previous boats.

Tri-Lens Radar Reflector...
https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/27_16/features/4567-1.html
https://www.westmarine.com/west-marine--tri-lens-radar-reflectors--P008_243_005_500 no longer sold by WM.

The Tri-Lens Radar Reflector was one of the best ones available, but it is no longer made from what I can gather. It seems several of them broke loose from their mounts and did a good deal of damage when they landed on the deck. Near the end of their production they went from one mounting point to two, which fixed the issue but it was too late and production ended. Which is a shame as it was the only passive reflector that came close to meeting the standards set for radar reflectors. The only radar reflectors that I have been able to find that meet the standard now are active reflectors which cost over $700 last time I looked.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby baz on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:16 am

Jim: Yes, I have read accounts of the 'falling' issue. My Tri-Lens is quite heavy and does need to be carefully secured to avoid such a calamity. :roll:
Last edited by baz on Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Toucan on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:31 am

On TOUCAN, we added a Davis radar reflector, a whip antenna for a Vesper AIS and a cell phone signal booster antenna to the mast on our R27. Coming next will be an anemometer and wind vane.

Barry Thompson
Toucan

City: Ridgecrest
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Toucan
MMSI Number: 367796310

Postby Martin610 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:39 am

I need to mount a hailer and possibly anemometer. After searching, I'm still a little unclear on how to route cables to the cabin roof. Does anyone have pictures in their album?

-martin
Cutwater 28 - Venture
Martin610

City: Jackson
State/Province: NJ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Venture

Postby Rocky on Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:30 pm

Once my son is done #D Printing my bracket, I'll mount my Radar Reflector to the mast. Currently, I have a 30" long Red and White plastic candy cane adorning it. Left over from Christmas... :D
Rocky and Tracy Gamble
R29S Cerise
www.cerisetug.com
Rocky

City: mill creek
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: Cerise
MMSI Number: 338317464

Postby Cutwater28GG on Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:26 pm

Martin its not a small job. as in the roof panels and potentially the internior side panel needs to come off. there have been a few threads over the years on people doing this. the effort required has blocked me from installing a wifi and second VHF antenna.

also for those of you installing antennas. its really important to space them far enough apart per the specs https://www.nmea.org/Assets/nmea%20antenna%20installations%20ibex%20presentation%202011.pdf

more
http://www.seamagazine.com/importance-antenna-placement/
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby The Doghouse 2 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:27 pm

Dan,

Asking RT to install dedicated wiring for future installation would help you a lot.

I am in the process of installing an LED headlight and port/starboard docking lights to the mast, as well as a hailer horn, on our R27-OB. Before starting this process, however, I had to remove and relocate the AIS 600 GPS antenna and the TV antenna, rerouting the wires to each, accordingly... and that's where my trial by fire started.

There are wire access holes in the cabin ceiling (above ceiling trim), and routing laterally to a sidewall (in our case the starboard side) and down into the cave, running forward to the dashboard / fuse panel. These wires are accessed in the wall thru the starboard port hole with trim removed. You might think so far, so good!

Wires are zip tied in bundles, and bundles are held in place to the adjacent surface with some pretty impressive tape. During fabrication, when all major components are exposed, it's easy to get to everything. Add the fact your not just an over zealous boat owner but a qualified technician, installation of electronic components and wiring is easy!

I will offer you best of luck, but more importantly wish you Godspeed and perseverance!

Bob
The Doghouse 2
The Doghouse 2

City: Lake Stevens
Non-Ranger Model: 2019 Hunter Green R27-OB w/ Suzuki 300
Vessel Name: The Doghouse 2
MMSI Number: 368050260

Postby Toucan on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:19 am

I have routed one cable through the simulated smokestack, under the overhead panel, down the starboard side behind the galley ceiling and forward behind the paneling to the helm area. It was a big job. I have run two coax cables for other devices forward on the roof, through the eyebrow at the center and into the cabin under the eyebrow between the top of the center windows leaving small drip loops outside, thence routed to the electronics wiring bays along the side of the window frames. I sealed the hole in the wall with putty and have not had a single drop get inside. I stuffed a GPS antenna into the cubby above the helm and it has worked just fine.

Barry Thompson
Toucan

City: Ridgecrest
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Toucan
MMSI Number: 367796310

Postby Martin610 on Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks for the input guys.

I can now see its a tough job to route new cable to the roof. Extra conduit and pull through would be a nice enhancement to future designs.

I currently have my GPS behind the helm of my Cutwater, works well there.

Getting speaker cable up to the roof for a hailer is a different matter. Ugh.

-martin
Cutwater 28 - Venture
Martin610

City: Jackson
State/Province: NJ
Vessel Name: Venture

Postby Red Fury on Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:33 pm

I have speculated at the cable routing. With the additional items I have mounted to the racks above, a kayak on port and a Yakima skybox on starboard, I am wanting to raise the radar dome up a level on the mast. This will give the radar better visibility over the top side items and move it a bit further above occupants. I have two questions - Is there enough cable coiled somewhere along the cable run for the 18 inches of slack needed and does trailering the dome sideways have any negative impacts on the unit. It would be sideways due to moving it from its fixed place now to a shelf on the foldable part of the mast. Any suggestions here would help. We also plan on adding an XM antenna, a fm antenna, a hailer horn and spotlight.
Bryan Nix
2017 R27 Classic "Bonny Lass"
Red Fury

City: Fredericksburg
State/Province: VA
Vessel Name: Bonny Lass
MMSI Number: 338244197

Postby Eastside3 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:04 pm

It seems the consensus is that whatever cableing CAN be run head of time should definately be looked into in order to make life easier. I know I want to mount a FLIR thermal camera where the TV antenna on the 29CB is typically mounted. I’m not sure if the TV antenna can simply be mounted on the backside, and what’s involved. I don’t want anything to look jury rigged so I want to run the cableing ahead of time. I’m considering a Garmin camera mounted in back, high up enough to give visibility when backing up, since I may likely stick with the standard dinghy with weaver Davit system. I’m simply not sure of which solutions can offer a horizontal system for keeping a dinghy in place especially with the shallow depth on the swim platform due to the propane locker. It’s 21” from locker to edge of swim platform. If I go with any system other than the weaver davits I’d have to loose the back railing...... decisions, decisions. In the mean time I’m thinking that it would be good to have an elevate view to see over the back of the Dinghy (thus the reason for the camera in back).
My big goal is to future proof things wherever I can. Running cables, and mitigating the list of “why didn’t I think of that beforehand!!” What better place than this forum to exchange thoughts and get input from others who have gone down this path.
Dan
Former boat: Robalo R227, name “Pira-Sea”
Being built: 2020 Ranger R-29 CB, name TBD, Hero Red
Woodinville Wa
Eastside3

City: Woodinville
Non-Ranger Model: Robalo R227
Vessel Name: PiraSea

Postby baz on Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:28 pm

Dan: If you do have a dinghy in vertical position off trailing edge of swims step I don't see that having a GoPro camera will show you to any precise way the rear of the dinghy - unless it's mount high up where the solar panel is, or even higher than that. If you have the dinghy in a horizontal position things would be more visible but this will mean the overall boats length is increased considerably.

This rear view aspect when having a vertical dinghy on the swim step does present an issue if you're solo operating. If you have a 1st Mate onboard let them keep a watchful eye on where your stern is and maybe use Bluetooth equipped head set for communication.

For the first few months in my covered slip I will likely solo dock stern in with a port tie up. I'm doing this to keep my unprotected cockpit away from driving rain and wind etc. So docking in this manner I will need to be aware of where my stern position is. With a dinghy on swim step then keeping the boat out some and then walking the boat backwards would be one way to dock stern in I suppose.

BTW.... the steel platform behind where the TV antenna is on the R29 CB's mast has two lobes that other things can be installed on. I intend to mount my Tri-Lens radar deflector on one of these lobes and use the other for mounting my Hailer horn.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz