Binoculars ?

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Re: Binoculars ?

Postby NorthernFocus on Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:48 pm

H28 wrote:I have a pair of WW2 Navy Mark 45 7 x 50.

I figure if they were good enough to defeat the Empire of Japan, they'll work for me.......

I think nuclear fission had more to do with that than quality binos.

But seriously when it comes to optics the good old days are a myth. Modern optics are far superior to anything from that era.
Dan

Never confuse confidence for competence.
NorthernFocus

City: Anchorage
State/Province: AK
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Divine Focus

Postby H28 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:24 pm

true, but let's not let logic and reasoning influence my bias.. ! :lol:
H28

City: oak brook
State/Province: IL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: Hygge

Postby Crewdog on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:06 pm

In the book "Clear the Bridge", Adm Richard O'Kane describes the WWII patrols of the USS Tang in the Pacific, and makes note of the many pairs of 7 x 50 binoculars donated to the war effort by horse racing enthusiasts and others.

A good read:
https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Bridge-Patrols-U-S-S-Tang/dp/0891415734
Bill and Nicole Parks
Blue Merle
2012 R-27
Woodstock, GA
Crewdog

City: Woodstock
State/Province: GA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Blue Merle
MMSI Number: 367556050

Postby baz on Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:56 pm

baz wrote:Barry Thompson:

I'm going to try out the Fujinon 14x40 TS1440 Techno-Stabi Image-Stabilized Binocular, and will post back my experience using them on land and sea. Most reviews I've read were quite positive with the weight being the most -ive issue.

So today I tried out the Fujinon 14x40 TS1440 Techno-Stabi Image-Stabilized Binocular.

1) It's weighty and an elastic harness which I have was useful to compensate for the weight without any neck ache as the harness runs around the shoulders.

2) Once I had mastered the optics setup and loaded 4x AA batteries into the unit I then proceeded to learn how to power on the Stabilization to Standby mode and Activate mode. I then strolled outside to view things at distance.

3) First I aimed at something that was maybe 200 feet away on top of a power pole with lots or boxes that presumably were for providing telephone lines and ISP/Internet lines to houses. These boxes had lettering and numbers on them (black on orange). Without stabilization active keeping the image stable was not easy and had difficulty reading the lettering and numbers. Then I activated the stabilization (slight buzz and in about a second it activated) and hooray... the image was rock solid and reading the lettering and numbers on the boxes was easy-peeezy. Note - the activation buzz is a one time event.

4) I now deactivated the stabilization to Standby mode and pointed the binocular to images down to the end of my road - a good 1/3 to 1/2 mile away. There was a car at the end and with my naked eye could not read its license plate at all. I viewed the car and its license plate and the image moved around to much for me to read the license plate number clearly. I now activated stabilization and the car's image suddenly became rock solid and had no problem seeing the license plate number clearly.

5) There were some crows flying about and with stabilization active I was able to follow one of the crows quite readily without too much effort.

So, on land I'm quite impressed with these binoculars.

Next review/test will be when on the boat with it moving around underfoot.

I tried to emulate being on a boat by moving my body about some; side to side, up and down, moving as a combo of side-to-side & up&down. When doing this without stabilization active it was really quite impossible to get clear rock solid images. Turning on stabilization did help but I had to concentrate a lot more to keep the images steady in order to read lettering and numbers as in 3) above. However, I have to say, having stabilization active helped quite a bit to allow images to be more steady seen more clearly.

Conclusions:
1) On land these binoculars with its stabilization work extremely well and is a credit to the technology.

2) On a simulated rocking boat the stabilization gave superior image viewing than without stabilization - final testing on a boat will be done later.

3) At 14x magnification with stabilization on my brain-balance survived and I was not disoriented when moving from one object to another and when simply scanning the horizon.

4) I have a 7x50 West Marine pair of binoculars and they did a reasonable job running through the 3), 4), 5) and my simulated rock boat test. They obviously did not provide the same magnification of the Fujinon 14x40 and reading the lettering, numbers and car license plate number was a lot more difficult - but not totally impossible with some care and extra time taken.

5) A pair of Fujinon Mariner 7x50 WPC-XL Porro Prism Binocular cost around $300; a pair of Fujinon 7x50 FMTR-SX Polaris Binocular cost around $700 or maybe both at a lower price at some places. So is the extra $300 to $700 worth it for the Fujinon 14x40 TS1440 Techno-Stabi Image-Stabilized Binocular ?
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB IoM LAXEY, Hero Red Delivery Mar 27, 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: TBD......

Postby knotflying on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:51 am

On the water will be the true test.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby jasonpeacock on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:57 am

When using binoculars on a boat, you need to either pay for image stabilization or settle for less magnification. 10x50 are too powerful and jump around a lot when on a boat. Most marine binoculars w/o image stabilization are 7x50, which is usually plenty good for most uses and have a large enough field-of-view you can easily track what you're watching.

In addition, you also want a good eye relief (less "squinting"), and a bright image (the "exit pupil"), these differ between manufacturers a lot and are sometimes hard numbers to find.

Nikon makes some of the best binoculars with those specs - super comfortable to look through for a long time, and very bright - they almost feel like they are magnifying the light:

Nikon 7440 OceanPro 7x50 Waterproof Binocular

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006C2M4
jasonpeacock

City: Bellevue
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Walrus

Postby baz on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:31 pm

baz wrote:
baz wrote:...snip...
5) A pair of Fujinon Mariner 7x50 WPC-XL Porro Prism Binocular cost around $300; a pair of Fujinon 7x50 FMTR-SX Polaris Binocular cost around $700 or maybe both at a lower price at some places. So is the extra $300 to $700 worth it for the Fujinon 14x40 TS1440 Techno-Stabi Image-Stabilized Binocular ?

I've now had a chance to use the Fujinon 14x40 TS1440 Techno-Stabi Image-Stabilized Binocular on board and on the waters. I compared using my trusty West Marine 7x50 binocs and the Fujinon and made the decision to return the Fujinon binocs.

The Fujinon did an admirable job and I loved the extra magnification of the 14x. However, the stabilization wasn't as good as I was wanting for the extra $800 investment. In fairly calm waters the Fujinon were excellent in every respects, but once the boat got going and rocked & rolled the 14x + the stabilization was kind of difficult and arm-muscle-tiring to operate with keeping images in view and not wandering about in the view, and the extra weight of the Fujinon started tiring me after a minute or two. This tiring aspect could be dealt with supposedly by mounting the Fujinon on a telescopic pole but that obviously has its own issues on a boat when using the Fujinon for brief sudden moments (where's the pole and having to screw it into the Fujinon's base). The Fujinon requires 4x AA batteries and this would/will mean checking these for charge level before leaving the dock and being another thing to check. I'm not too worried about not having batteries as I always have onboard an adequate supply of AAA and AA batteries.

I think if the Fujinon was half the weight and half the price I might just have decided to keep them. :roll:

So, good bye to the Fujinon binocular.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

MMSI Number: TBD......

Postby knotflying on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:42 am

My observation is that unless you go for the big bucks ($2,000) the stabilization aspect is as you described.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby baz on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:13 am

knotflying wrote:My observation is that unless you go for the big bucks ($2,000) the stabilization aspect is as you described.

You're probably correct.... I've seen some at around $6,000. :o :roll:
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz