Training?

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Training?

Postby Jfrano on Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:53 pm

So we’re soon to pickup our R29CB. While we’ve both been in the water most of life’s we both feel the need for more formal training . Perhaps a general seamanship class and also a navigation class using charts and GPS and a third perhaps in general shipboard systems ? Anyone aware where such classes might be available.
Thanks
Jfrano

City: Butler
State/Province: NJ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB

Re: Training?

Postby baz on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:20 pm

The local USCG group should offer classes for you. The one 1st Mate and I took covered a host of things including Navigation, Weather, using paper charts, safety and so on. The typical course is 6 to 10 weeks, once per week for 3 hrs. For us, we also had a test/exam at the end.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Postby marcham on Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:19 pm

Training is the mission of the power squadron. Membership and course costs are very reasonable.

https://americasboatingclub.org

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
marcham

City: Merville
State/Province: BC

Postby Haifisch on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:31 pm

I attended a course from US Maritime Academy conducted over a 14 week period last fall. I ended up with a OUPV/25 Gross ton masters credential. They cover nav, rules and everything you need to pass the USCG exam. It was very intensive but I learned a lot and it was really a lot of fun. Courses are conducted primarily by Cap. Jeff Sanders who is engaging and super helpful. The bonus is that you can charter when you're done. It's a time commitment but for me was really worth it. Here's the link to the website: http://www.usmaritime.us
Haifisch

City: Bainbridge Island
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Vessel Name: Pilar

Postby JamesTXSD on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:23 am

One consideration for a new boater regarding the training to get an OUPV captain license: if you take this as training to learn to boat, do not expect to get a captain's license at the end of the course. The "sea time" requirement cannot be fulfilled without the proper number of loggable days on the water, as well as the requirements for background check, medical, references (personal and marine professional), drug test, finger printing, etc.

Depending on the OUPV course taken, you will learn a lot about regulations and safe boating procedures, chart work and navigation, emergency procedures.

I would still recommend a US Power Squadron or Coast Guard AUXILIARY (note that it is not the Coast Guard) Safe Boating Class as a starting point.
CD-25, Wild Blue
http://captnjim.blogspot.com/
JamesTXSD

City: Port Isabel
State/Province: TX
Non-Ranger Model: C-Dory 25 (sold)
Vessel Name: Wild Blue

Return to Chat