R21 EC hour meter.

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

R21 EC hour meter.

Postby REO6205 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:10 pm

2014 EC with the Volvo engine. The hour meter on the tach quit working today. The tach itself is working fine. Before I start to disassemble the entire starboard side of the cabin can anybody give me an idea of what to look for and where to look?

Also, the STOP button no longer stops the engine and I have to turn it off manually. Any ideas?
REO6205

City: Fortuna
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Chenier
MMSI Number: 338228251

Re: R21 EC hour meter.

Postby Pilotnavigator on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:18 pm

You can check the plug on the underside of the tach unit. It seems there is one multi plug that communicates with the engine controls. Perhaps you got it loose.
John -21EC "Wanderer"
Pilotnavigator

City: Cambridge
State/Province: ON
Vessel Name: Wanderer
MMSI Number: 316028321

Re: R21 EC hour meter.

Postby Catch22 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:06 am

If your engine panel has a key, remember that the key needs to be ON when pushing the stop button. This is a common mistake.
If the panel is keyless, then checking the connections to the solenoid would be in order.

The hour meters are notorious fails on numerous applications. Again , checking connections is the first order. If connections are in order, some people feel comfortable doing surgery on the tach/hour meter itself using available YouTube videos to fix internal contact issues. Most people , however, take the easy route and install one of the inexpensive stand alone vibration hour meters . ....10 bucks or so on Ebay.

Good luck...I'm knocking on wood here...my Yanmar panel is still good to go...
Catch22

City: Sturgeon Bay
State/Province: WI

Return to Chat