Lake Chelan?

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Lake Chelan?

Postby TugScout on Thu May 23, 2019 9:56 am

Hi Gang,

We're looking for any information, sights, recommendations for cruising Lake Chelan.

We have always loved the little town of Stehekin at the end of the lake and would love to take our boat there. Does anyone know if there is moorage available or is it anchorage only? In a perfect world, we'd cruise to Stehekin, stay a few nights in the lodge and head back stopping and seeing some sights along the way.

I'd much rather put the boat in the water using a lift than a ramp. Are there lifts available around the south end of the lake?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark
TugScout

City: Stanwood
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Amy Marie (2012)

Re: Lake Chelan?

Postby bob daily on Thu May 23, 2019 10:49 am

I would check with Chelan Ranger Districk
428 W.Wood in Ave
Chelan, Wa. 98816
(509) 682-4900
They have lots if info and you can purchase a dock permit for the USFC docks available.
Lots of boat in camping!
Bob
bob daily

City: Kennewick
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Scuttlebutt

Postby BradOwens on Thu May 23, 2019 11:30 am

Several years ago we docked at Stehikin for several hours. I don't remember if overnight moorage was available. We came back to the city dock in Chelan for the night. You need to go under a low bridge to get to that dock. Your RT 21 should fit if you lower the antenna, but be careful. There are lots of places to anchor though, and a couple of parks with docks.
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby Navigator's Son on Thu May 23, 2019 11:56 am

According the to State Parks website, yes, there are slips available at Stehekin Landing

MARINE SERVICES
gasoline
boat launch
overnight moorage
50 guest moorage slips

https://www.parks.state.wa.us/721/Stehekin-Landing
Robert Kondakjian
NAVIGATOR'S SON
2017 R-25SC
Snohomish, WA
Port of Everett
Navigator's Son

City: Snohomish
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Navigator's Son

Postby bob daily on Thu May 23, 2019 12:07 pm

When I went to lake chelan we launched at the state park, they have a long term parking area for tow vehicle and trailer. You will need a federal USFS dock pass to tie up to one of there many docks. The pass is good for one year for about $20, yes that bridge at the south end is low, I did not go under so don't know if it's doable in your boat.
The fishing was good for lake trout! They are deep!
bob daily

City: Kennewick
Vessel Name: Scuttlebutt

Postby TugScout on Thu May 23, 2019 4:25 pm

Great information everyone - Thank you very much.

Mark
TugScout

City: Stanwood
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Amy Marie (2012)

Postby Rich&Linda on Sun May 26, 2019 9:20 am

I launch at Mill Bay (I have an annual pass). Long launch and launch dock, 3 lanes, plenty of long-term parking included in the price, pumpout, and plenty of room to maneuver. Most of the other launches on the lake don't have room to maneuver with a cruise-sized boat - with exception of 25-mile Creek State Park.

The forest service (near the downtown bridge) will sell you a short-term pass or a season pass to dock camp on a lot of nice docks up there. Be ready in the event of wind, though. The chop from Field's Point to Graham Harbor can be brutal when the wind direction and speed join hands with the fjord effect.
Rich&Linda

City: East Wenatchee

Postby Shangie on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:44 pm

Mark- We just spent five days on Lake Chelan. On Thursday a sailboat was de-masted in Stehekin due to winds. We too love that little town and planned to go there in our own boat but changed our minds Thursday morning after sleeping in the marina at 25 mile Creek Wednesday night during sustained winds of 12-16 knots with over 20 knot gusts! It was a rockin. Larger, faster boats than our 21 were coming into 25 Mile Creek to shelter so we made a good decision. There is no cell phone coverage at 25 Mile Creek so we had to drive towards Chelan to pick up wind reports online. We are glad we checked those. Instead we explored the area below 25 Mile Creek and had a wonderful time boating in calmer waters. Lots of sunshine and happy people. I can't stress enough that people check the wind forecast and have an alternate plan. Also have your map of the boat in camps handy. There are several nice ones we have stayed in past tears in our sailboat that have some protection if you get into trouble. All this info can be found online if you google boat in campgrounds, Lake Chelan. One year our sailboat boat got beat up really bad in July in the downtown Chelan Marina due to severe winds! It took three strong men and myself to keep her from jumping over the dock! There was no sleeping in the boat and we had prepaid for a week worths of moorage- non refundable. Same thing just happened this week- we bough Federal dock permits, four days overnight trailer and truck parking at 25 Mile Creek all in anticipation of going to Stehekin because wind reports showed favorable for Thursday. Total waste of money. Ended up at the Manson Marina, launching out of Mill Creek and paying for truck and trailer parking an moorage all over again! Still, it was worth it to be safe and enjoy that gorgeous lake.
Shangie

City: Bothell
Vessel Name: NEMO

Return to Chat