Anchor sway

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Anchor sway

Postby SgtAlf on Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:00 pm

The R-23 really sways on anchor, the stronger the wind, the more the sway. Has anyone come up with a method to mitigate the sway?
Tony & Kathy
R-23 Sea Holli
Jackson, NJ
SgtAlf

City: JACKSON
State/Province: NJ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Non-Ranger Model: Sea Eagle SR14 W/15 Yamaha
Vessel Name: Sea Holli
MMSI Number: 338303803

Re: Anchor sway

Postby Chimo on Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:17 pm

The "smart ass" answer is "add a 5 ft keel". There are a number of more useful answers if you do a bit of a search, maybe referencing 'sailing at anchor' or something similar. The problem is the relatively flat bottom and shallow draft combined with wind area. One simple solution that you might try is to alter the angle to the wind. Once anchored take a line from a few feet down the rode using a rolling hitch to secure to one of your bow cleats. I'm not so familiar with the 23 so you may not have bow cleats (like our 25). In that case the line can come back through the chocks on the bow and then to the large cleat amidships. Tighten the line until you are 20-30 degrees to the wind. Adjust for comfort. This will help. Be careful if the wind really picks up. Then it's better for the wind waves to hit the bow squarely.

Hope this helps
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

City: Sidney
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Chimo
MMSI Number: 316033437

Postby Pilotnavigator on Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:30 pm

There are many ifs in the solution. If you anchor in shallow water, around 10 feet, you would need about 40 feet of chain. Drop all the chain and then enough line to reach the bottom with a few feet on the bottom. Next drop a 10 pound mushroom anchor to slide down the anchor rode with the use of a carabiner. Let this Kellet just sit on the bottom with a bit of slack. It will partially set. Mine is attached to 20 feet of line. This anchor will help hold the boat from hunting around on the wind. Hope this helps a bit.
John -21EC "Wanderer"
Pilotnavigator

City: Cambridge
State/Province: ON
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Wanderer
MMSI Number: 316028321

Re: Anchor swa

Postby Chimo on Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:31 am

John makes a good point, I hadn’t considered your location, what are anchorageslike in your area? 10 ft is pretty rare in the PNW, but may be possible in NJ. I remember 5 Ft anchorages and less on the Chesapeake. These days I am glad to find 20ft, add 4 ft for the anchor roller height and 8 ft tidal range and I have 100 ft of rode out in light conditions. I do like the Keller idea to improve catenary pull.

Think about setting a stern anchor. That’s another idea but again you have to be careful and think about shifts in wind and tide.
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

City: Sidney
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Chimo
MMSI Number: 316033437

Postby SgtAlf on Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:50 am

I do most of my boating in Barnegat Bay NJ. The bay, for the most, part is shallow 10' is deep. Tices Shoal, a popular day hook area, is 5' way out and goes up to 1'. There are holes at 3-4' one can sneak into if you know the water. A good place to throw out the float toys and kayaks. Jump off the swim step and you're waist deep on a sandy bottom. The ICW runs up the middle of the bay where there's deeper water. I can run south to Cape May and never go outside.
Tony & Kathy
R-23 Sea Holli
Jackson, NJ
SgtAlf

City: JACKSON
State/Province: NJ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Non-Ranger Model: Sea Eagle SR14 W/15 Yamaha
Vessel Name: Sea Holli
MMSI Number: 338303803

Return to Chat