VHF Alarm

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

VHF Alarm

Postby Jfrano on Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:17 pm

How do I turn off the GPS alarm on my VHS radio that continually beeps, without having to leave the Garmin unit on?
Last edited by Jfrano on Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jfrano

City: Butler
State/Province: NJ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: June Sea

Re: VHS Alarm

Postby BB marine on Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:21 pm

Your VHS gets its latitude/ longitude from the GPS. When the radio is not receiving the input it sounds an alarm. You can press ignore and it will turn off for a limited time and then reset and sound again.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby JamesTXSD on Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:35 pm

Your VHF radio plays video tapes?? ;) Yeah, just funnin' with you. Humor.

I know: back in my corner.
CD-25, Wild Blue
http://captnjim.blogspot.com/
JamesTXSD

City: Tropical Tip
State/Province: TX
Non-Ranger Model: C-Dory 25 (sold)
Vessel Name: Wild Blue

Postby TugScout on Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:25 pm

JamesTXSD wrote:Your VHF radio plays video tapes?? .

I haven’t upgraded yet. Mine still only plays Betamax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TugScout

City: Stanwood
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Amy Marie (2012)

Postby knotflying on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:35 am

Jfrano wrote:How do I turn off the GPS alarm on my VHS radio that continually beeps, without having to leave the Garmin unit on?

If you are getting an alarm, something is wrong. Check on the chartplotter and see what items are being recognized on the system. Your radio should show up. If it does not they may not be communicating and that is why you are getting the alarm. I am assuming your chartplotter is getting Lat and Long information so that will rule out a GPS antenna issue.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby chronicity on Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:33 am

I replaced the radio with the next higher model, which has its own GPS. Otherwise, the cbartplotter has to be on whenever the radio is on.
Dan and Debbie
chronicity

City: Spokane
Non-Ranger Model: Suzuki 300 OB
Vessel Name: Addison Skye
MMSI Number: 368047670

Postby acdfpic on Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:15 am

The manual says that it's supposed to go into ignore mode after three minutes, but mine doesn't do that...as my dock neighbor was unhappy to point out to me.
acdfpic

City: Port Angeles
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Destined Nomad

Re: VHF Alarm

Postby Jfrano on Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Ha ha .

I have DC power on while in my slip for fridge. Seems like a waste to have to have to keep my VHF on and the chart plotter to keep the alarm quiet while I’m away from the boat for days. I placed the Garmin in Sleep Mode. See if that works.
Jfrano

Postby BradOwens on Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:04 pm

I'm not familiar with your particular unit, but if you turn the VHF radio off it should not give an alarm.
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby BB marine on Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:21 pm

Brad you are correct. Radio on, chart plotter off, alarm because no inputs for coordinates. If radio is off no horn. If you turn the radio on to transmit or receive it will not alarm for roughly 5 minutes. It is alarming because the emergency distress needs coordinates to function.Easy solution ,shut the radio off when your not cruising.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby Jfrano on Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:20 pm

Dah... time for new glasses . PWR push, problem solved

Thanks much for helping out newbie. A year or two from now when this is all stored knowledge I’ll be sure to have patience.

So two problems solved tonight++ auto bilge . Making progress !
Jfrano

Postby stwendl on Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:55 pm

If you have the garmin vhf, be prepared for some surprises if you loose gps signal either by blockage or interference.
I used to park under a metal covered roof that blocked gps signals when I found out that the vhf radio was showing erroneous gps coordinates. I went thru several experiments and analyzed the nmea2k bus communications.

Turned out the garmin 7612 in fact sent out bad coordinates like lattitude 922 degree north and 922 degree west, which as interpreted by the vhf and displayed as such, while the map display showed the proper last real coordinates on the map before I entered my slip.

I had lengthy email conversations with garmin about this “incorrect” behavior of both devices. All I tried to relay to them that the devices should be transmitting the last good known position instead of bad coordinates. If I had activated a distress call the bad coordinates would have been transmitted and rescue would not be able to use my last good position. Of course I would not call distress while in my covered slip, but I argued that if I was underway and the gps antenna were to be damaged or interfered with, I would have the same result and would not be able to rely on the accuracy of a distress call with the garmin vhf. However garmin did not see it that way and the “bug, as I call it” was still in the system. I even went to a west marine store and used one of their units to demonstrate and verify that this bug existed not only in my unit and in more than one release.

So be aware that the garmin distress system my not be reliable in certain situations
Difference between RVers and Boaters:
RVers move until they reach water, Boaters move until they reach land.
Ranger Tug owners can do both :)
stwendl

City: palo alto
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Cataleya

Postby YukonRon on Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:30 pm

Not sure which VHF radio you have, but mine has a setting to choose whether or not you want the radio to turn itself on automatically when it gets a 12 volt power input.
If you say YES, it will turn on every time you turn on the House battery bank, and it may annoy you with alarms if you are just puttering about on your boat in the slip. You can always just turn it off, as previously mentioned.
If you say NO, you could forget to turn it on when you leave the slip to go boating; an important safety concern.
Your choice.
Ron & Barb
Whitehorse, Yukon
Yukon Ranger
2013 R25sc
YukonRon

City: Whitehorse
State/Province: YT
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Yukon Ranger
MMSI Number: 316023451

Return to Chat