Radar placement on R-29 CB

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Radar placement on R-29 CB

Postby bob daily on Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:42 am

I was looking at the R-29 CB and noticed the placement of the Garman radar (fwd of the command bridge and lower than the CB)!
Does this obstruct the path of the radar beam? Causing a blind spot or shadow sections or false echoes? If so how do you compensate for this? (A crazy Ivan maneuver?)
It is recommended that the horizontal beam width be above head height when transmiting, do you not use the radar when on the CB , for safety reasons?
Nice looking boat! But question the placement of radar for safety reasons and proper operation.
Bob
bob daily

City: Kennewick
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Scuttlebutt

Re: Radar placement on R-29 CB

Postby baz on Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:01 am

I enquired about this with RT and was told it was not an issue. :o Many boaters in my marina have commented on this issue to me. I await for a definitive answer to this.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB NW Edition - IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Postby ixlr8 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:13 am

The Cutwater C-30CB has the radar mounted on a platform that raises the radar unit above anybody/anythign on the CB. I think it looks terrible, but it does give the radar unit an elevated unobstructed 360 deg 'view'.
http://www.cutwaterboats.com/models.asp ... C-30+CB+LE
I wonder why Cutwater goes thru the effort to raise the radar unit and Ranger Tugs does not.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby stwendl on Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:42 am

RF exposure is measured in energy times duration. 4kw pulses of Radar emissions is not what I would want to be exposed to for a lengthy period of time and that times on each person.

However one could argue that during conditions of use you may not actually be on the bridge to be exposed to.

Obstruction of radar view is an entirely different issue. Since most of the obstruction is fiberglass it probably is not an issue. Reflections from metal structures on the cb may expose persons in the cabin to RF. How much, would need to be measured

There are guidelines as to how much RF exposure is safe which depend on power of the signal, the length of exposure, the distance to the source and your physical condition. I would imagine the factory has gone thru such evaluations. Unless you run the tug commercially and under conditions that require radar to be on, you probably get more RF exposure from your phone, the cell tower around you, and the radio transmitter stations in your area.
Difference between RVers and Boaters:
RVers move until they reach water, Boaters move until they reach land.
Ranger Tug owners can do both :)
stwendl

City: palo alto
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Cataleya

Postby bob daily on Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:06 pm

It is not installed in accordance with the Garman Installation and Instruction Manual, and as to its location does not conform to the standards for safety levels with respect to human exposure to radio frequency electromagnetic fields!
I may be wrong but would rather error on the safe side, prior to operating unit in that location I would get verification from Garman!
Stay safe!
Bob
bob daily

City: Kennewick
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Scuttlebutt

Return to Chat